Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Personal Item "Under the Seat in Front of You" Bag Reccomendations

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by powerlifter
I got the everki versa backpack for Christmas. I have traveled on a couple of trips. It is such a great bag. It fits over the handles of my roller board, and it fits the Bose over the ear headphones. I have had my Bose headphones for 15 years now, and they are starting to fall apart. So now I have the the Q20i. It fits under the seat of the airplane. It is checkpoint friendly, and holds a lot of stuff.
fun fact: I bought my Bose off ebay used years ago. When they broke (the top headband broke in half), I tweeted that I was looking for new headphones. Not to Bose. Just in general. Bose saw that I mentioned the word "Bose" - tweeted back at me, we went through the whole "are you under warranty" process through twitter direct messaging, etc. I told them i bought them used and that the serial number wasn't in the headphones anymore (Seriously, no serial #!) - but, sight unseen, they sent me a brand new pair of Bose QC 15s for $125. I sent them my old pair.

I know Bose is overpriced, and you can actually find similar or better audio quality for lower prices, but after an unbelievable replacement experience, I still think very highly of them. And their noise canceling abilities, so far, can't be beat!

So... maybe try calling Bose and seeing what they can do about your old Bose headphones
Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:31 pm

Take a look at the Mountainsmith Network Bag. I've had mine for 6 years and it's still holding up great.

Amazon link

Action pics from a blog
Old Feb 27, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by nonstopski
fun fact: I bought my Bose off ebay used years ago. When they broke (the top headband broke in half), I tweeted that I was looking for new headphones. Not to Bose. Just in general. Bose saw that I mentioned the word "Bose" - tweeted back at me, we went through the whole "are you under warranty" process through twitter direct messaging, etc. I told them i bought them used and that the serial number wasn't in the headphones anymore (Seriously, no serial #!) - but, sight unseen, they sent me a brand new pair of Bose QC 15s for $125. I sent them my old pair.

I know Bose is overpriced, and you can actually find similar or better audio quality for lower prices, but after an unbelievable replacement experience, I still think very highly of them. And their noise canceling abilities, so far, can't be beat!

So... maybe try calling Bose and seeing what they can do about your old Bose headphones
Bought the headphones in 2000 so just a little out of warranty. Went to the
Bose store, but they are now closed. So I went to best buy and bought the qc20i.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Bought the headphones in 2000 so just a little out of warranty. Went to the
Bose store, but they are now closed. So I went to best buy and bought the qc20i.
mine were also out of warranty, since they were bought by a 2nd person (me) and there was no serial number... so... worth a try. Even with the new headphones.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: Platinum
I have the Tom Bihn Co-pilot, and can attest that it is well built. I have used it for traveling when I need a "man purse" to haul extra stuff like a point and shoot camera, iPad, water bottle, and rain coat. You won't go wrong with it. The extra space of the Pilot is intriguing, might have to look at that.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by frankmu
I have the Tom Bihn Co-pilot, and can attest that it is well built. I have used it for traveling when I need a "man purse" to haul extra stuff like a point and shoot camera, iPad, water bottle, and rain coat. You won't go wrong with it. The extra space of the Pilot is intriguing, might have to look at that.
Im looking at the Pilot, even the western flyer. I'm currently liking the western flyer, although it is much bigger. But at 26L, its actually the same size as my book bag, but way more efficient with space, and, saw Tom Bihn's forum with some examples of folks fitting a WF under the seat in front of them. Pilot certainly would, but would barely fit my laptop unfortunately.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 5:22 pm

I was also looking at the Tom Bihn western flyer. Only issue there is I really do want a pass through for putting it on top of a roller bag. Or at least the option to, and it seems the most recent version of the WF does not allow this.
Tom Bihn discontinued the version with a slip through. I checked in with them and they said they might bring it back someday -- if interested you should let them know.

The WF is small enough that backpack carry isn't really necessary INHO. It is a great second bag to combine with a wheeled bag. I think canceling the slip through was a mistake.

At the very least they could add a simple slip through to the backpack version. (the slip through version had some useful pockets instead of just the slip through). I've been eyeing the WF for a while but they never had my color in stock.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I got the everki versa backpack for Christmas. I have traveled on a couple of trips. It is such a great bag. It fits over the handles of my roller board, and it fits the Bose over the ear headphones. I have had my Bose headphones for 15 years now, and they are starting to fall apart. So now I have the the Q20i. It fits under the seat of the airplane. It is checkpoint friendly, and holds a lot of stuff.
I have the Everki Versa backpack and QC25s, which fit nicely in the bag.

Another note on the bag - it will (barely) fit in the narrow underseat spaces IF I remove everything (laptop charger, mouse) from the side pockets. The only other underseat space I had trouble with was in a DL exit row last week. The bar under the seat was very low, so the space was tight. I ended up just putting the bag in the overhead bin, as it was protruding a bit from the underseat space.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 9:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
My needs:
- 15" Inch Macbook Pro Retina (thin, but yes a bit wider than a 13" laptop)
I have the Tom Bihn Pilot that you mention - it fits my 11" MacBook Air but I'd be surprised if you can get a 15" MBP in there. I think a 13" MBA could possibly fit but it would be tight. I rarely even put my 11" MBA in there as I use it as a camera bag (DSLR, lenses) and the bulky SLR just doesn't play nice with the MBA in there.

That said, I love this bag.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 9:45 pm

The extra space of the Pilot is intriguing, might have to look at that.
I've found that the Pilot seems stiffer than the Copilot. I've had it since it was introduced last year and was hoping the material would get more flexible with age but that hasn't happened yet. That said, I am constantly amazed at how much more I can stuff into the Pilot.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thesun
I am constantly amazed at how much more I can stuff into the Pilot.
I wonder why that is? I am intrigued by the Western Flyer because it does seem to carry so much so efficiently. Arguably more efficiently than the Patagonia 26L I am looking at and the eBags bag mentioned on page 1 of this thread.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:40 pm

Programs: Platinum
Originally Posted by thesun
I've found that the Pilot seems stiffer than the Copilot. I've had it since it was introduced last year and was hoping the material would get more flexible with age but that hasn't happened yet. That said, I am constantly amazed at how much more I can stuff into the Pilot.
Did you get the ballistic nylon or the Dyneema Nylon? I have the latter, and while the pattern is a little bright, it is lightweight and flexible.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
I wonder why that is? I am intrigued by the Western Flyer because it does seem to carry so much so efficiently. Arguably more efficiently than the Patagonia 26L I am looking at and the eBags bag mentioned on page 1 of this thread.
Have you bought yet? I have owned the Western Flyer for 3 years, and with over 600 domestic flights under its belt, it is an awesome bag with barely any wear. Fits under the seat in front of you from E145 on up. I have carried a 14" laptop with room to spare and the pockets are deep enough for my Bose QC15 in their case. I also carry Garmin GPS, sunglasses, journal, wallet, reading glasses, reading book, extra batteries, water bottle, two folders, snack pack, PowerGen, camera, and plastic sandwich tub.

If you stuff it full, it does push the official limits of the personal item. But take a few things out of the front pockets and it should "mold" into the sizer bin.

This is for United Personal Item sizer
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22526147-post1439.html

Truly awesome bag !

Last edited by dorisrpas; Mar 14, 2015 at 5:37 pm
Old Mar 15, 2015, 10:24 pm

Did you get the ballistic nylon or the Dyneema Nylon? I have the latter, and while the pattern is a little bright, it is lightweight and flexible.
I have the ballistic nylon - I was worried about the Dyneema being less durable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.