Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bad/unnecessary travel gear?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:29 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by hunter hair
Yes, in full disclosure, I am the inventor and owner of the RePoser. I adhere to the guidelines of flyertalk.com and do not try to promote my commercial interests, merely trying to respond to some bad publicity. Have been cast into this category without a fair trial.
Be fair, should have disclosed it immediately. By responding the way you did, it's not the guidelines issue, but rather you made it sound like you're a shill.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 3:37 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K
I am also beginning to have second thoughts about packing cubes, after loving them unconditionally - they certainly take up more room in your suitcase. I guess I could use lots of smaller ones, but that would be missing the point, wouldn't it?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:43 am

Programs: US Gold
Mikity: for years I've used space bags that you fill and roll to get out the air . They weigh hardly anything, and I find it really useful to be able to move around blocks of things when packing/repacking. I'm tired, though, of the fact that they wear out and leak. Have just gotten a pair of Eagle Creek silnylon packing cubes - they also are near weightless, and while you can't get out quite as much air they do very close to the same job and like the space bags they don't really add any volume of their own.

Fortunately for me, a pair of jeans folded in thirds fits perfectly, as do folded shirts, and then the cube itself fits perfectly in my bag (the LL Bean Quickload Duffle no one else seems to use...) with space along each side for things I prefer to keep separate for quick removal (socks, a T-shirt and sleep pants for late arrivals, etc.

wg
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by wendyg
Have just gotten a pair of Eagle Creek silnylon packing cubes - they also are near weightless, and while you can't get out quite as much air they do very close to the same job and like the space bags they don't really add any volume of their own.
Interesting, so you pack them and then squeeze the air out of them somehow?
How do they compare to plain old Ziploc bags?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mikity
I've used the type you suck with a vacuum cleaner before. They were wonderful for transporting a couple of pillows. That was before the TSA era, though, I would hesitate to do it now.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by hunter hair
trying to respond to some bad publicity. Have been cast into this category without a fair trial.
Hrm, not sure what bad publicity are you talking of, one of us raised the question that (s)he found the Reposer kind of unnecessary to which I answered I am not sure whether it would cause any problems with flight attendants. It might not even violate any FAA regulation I just thought of the FAA since child seats need an FAA approval, but it could be just the airline. Here, look at Westjet

You are not permitted to attach any unapproved device to any part of your seat or any other part of the aircraft. Some examples of unapproved devices include knee defenders, seat belt extensions and booster seats.
Another example, the Griffin Skyview tablet mount is presumedly OK despite it clearly attaches to the seat -- but perhaps it's small enough to not cause a ruckus? Who knows these things.

Last edited by chx1975; Mar 5, 2015 at 8:55 pm
Old Mar 6, 2015, 2:24 pm

Programs: US Gold
You put stuff in them, seal them, and roll them up and squeeze the air out - they have a one-way valve (which ziplock bags do not have). I've never triied a plain Ziplock bag, but I imagine it would be hard to get quite as much air out.

wg
Old Mar 10, 2015, 1:59 pm

Smile reposer does not attach

Originally Posted by chx1975
Hrm, not sure what bad publicity are you talking of, one of us raised the question that (s)he found the Reposer kind of unnecessary to which I answered I am not sure whether it would cause any problems with flight attendants. It might not even violate any FAA regulation I just thought of the FAA since child seats need an FAA approval, but it could be just the airline. Here, look at Westjet

Another example, the Griffin Skyview tablet mount is presumedly OK despite it clearly attaches to the seat -- but perhaps it's small enough to not cause a ruckus? Who knows these things.
just being mentioned in this blog makes "bad/unnecessary travel gear" under a google search for the RePoser, but anyway, to answer your question, the RePoser does not attach to the seat, it simply sits on the side armrests, and mine has been checked out, tested out, and commented on by dozens of flight attendants. Not one of them said it was a problem.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by wendyg
You put stuff in them, seal them, and roll them up and squeeze the air out - they have a one-way valve (which ziplock bags do not have).
Thanks.
Are clothes more likely to crease than inside regular packing cubes?
Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:54 am

Thanks.
Are clothes more likely to crease than inside regular packing cubes?
Yes.

I only use these occasionally for laudnry coming back. I find however that I don't save that much space. Once the air leaves the bag it becomes really hard. like a little ball of rocks. The pliability is, then, gone from your bag making the part where the "rock" is stick out a bit.

I'm on the fence about whether to call this "unnecessary" or "useful." I do however carry around an empty one in case I need it. it doesn't take up much room or weight when not used.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.