Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

MEI Executive Overnighter first impressions, photos and Red Oxx comparison

MEI Executive Overnighter first impressions, photos and Red Oxx comparison

Old May 28, 2015, 9:29 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Silver
Great idea on the three bar slider. I will have to refit my Executive Overnighter with those.

Do you use the Absolute strap instead of the back packs straps? I've been toying with getting one for my Overnighter, but haven't pulled the trigger because the backpack straps are so good.

Is yours the standard size or did Salim resize it for European use? I've got European travel on the agenda in June and I'm curious if I might have sizer problems if I take the Overnighter as a carryon.
Old May 29, 2015, 12:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold
I use both straps, the backpack straps for heavier loads or longer distances and the absolute for anything else. I also switch to the absolute if I have to take my luggage into a meeting.

I bought the standard size and have had no problems in Europe or anywhere else in the world, just avoid over packing.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, past Sky Team Platinum
Just back from two domestic flights. I managed to get the MEI EO past the gate agent, and into the small overhead bins of the Embraer 145 regional jet (which has only 1+2 seats per row).
The bag was not packed to the limit, but still contained 2 suits, all other clothes, and an extra pair of shoes.

Old Jun 7, 2015, 2:40 am
Original Poster

I have found the same, if i don't pack it until its bulging to the limit then it fits in the smaller luggage bins with ease. Even if its fully packed being soft sided it can usually be squeezed in.

Last edited by Matrick; Jun 7, 2015 at 4:33 am
Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Matrick
One very cheap but essential improvement in my opinion has been to add a (38mm / 1.5 inch) three bar slider to the end of each cynch strap, so I use four in total. This does two things; first it stops the tails flapping around and more importantly stops the cynch straps loosening which can happen quite easily.
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to thank you for the slider suggestion. I made a note of it when I first read the thread and finally got around to implementing it this week. Bought 2 sets of 2 sliders at REI and just installed them. Mine say 40 mm / 1.5 inch but are not loose so I think the 2mm difference is just in labeling.

Thanks again,
Frank
Old Aug 4, 2016, 10:12 pm

Posted mistakenly, had bad info.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Matrick
I emailed Salim at MEI regarding the addition of 3 bar sliders to the synch straps as described in my previous post. He liked the idea and will be implementing it on any future orders of the Executive Overnighter
I recently received my MEI Voyageur and it came with the 3 bar sliders on the external compression straps.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ftucker
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to thank you for the slider suggestion. I made a note of it when I first read the thread and finally got around to implementing it this week. Bought 2 sets of 2 sliders at REI and just installed them. Mine say 40 mm / 1.5 inch but are not loose so I think the 2mm difference is just in labeling.

Thanks again,
Frank
No problem Frank, I'm pleased it was useful for you ^
Old Sep 17, 2016, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ITCFlyer
I recently received my MEI Voyageur and it came with the 3 bar sliders on the external compression straps.
That's good to hear ^
Old Aug 29, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: EXP, 1K
I had MEI make an Executive Overnighter with an eye to make it lighter.

They used ripstop, removed the hip strap and replaced plastic handles with nylon webbing. Probably removing 1lb from the bag. I have used with Optech shoulder strap and with built in backpack straps. Both are good, just a matter of preference. I like the 3 main compartments as they are convenient for packing cubes. It is also convenient for short or long trips by cinching down the straps. But, I could go for a more user friendly solution for the compression strap

Before going this route, I looked at RedOxx Airboss (overbuilt) and Bihn TriStar (uncertain lead time when I bought). Both look like good bags, but happy with my purchase.

Overall a very good bag and very nice people to work with.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.