Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luggage brand of your choice

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2015, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K
Originally Posted by clockmilk
Every zipper and pocket is exactly where it should be when I reach for it, working smoothly every time. Every square inch has been thought out.
You have a way with words...
You should become an advertising copywriter
Old Mar 27, 2015, 12:28 am
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
Originally Posted by Mellonc
I just did the calculation on Fedex.com and it came out to $41. (from Dallas to New York)
Then pay for the freight home as well.

Try from Rome, IT or anywhere in Europe. They have zero repair centers now. They used to have one Germany or Austria, I don't remember anymore, but it's gone now.

It was more than 150 Euros for my co-worker from Rome. Then they made her pay the shipping back to her at home. All said that alone cost her more than she paid for the bag. Then the same bag broke again the next time she used it, it was a Torq btw.

I have a small team that travels often, all of us have a Brigg's bag, or more than one. I am the only one that hasn't had to have a repair, but I don't use my that often. All 4 of the other people have had to pay freight both ways.

Just sharing what I know. As I said before, I'd rather have a bag that never needed a repair (in a reasonable life of use) than have a warranty that cost me $82 round trip for repairs. Especially when I could have paid $14 for the repair locally if they have the capability.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by mspreh
Then pay for the freight home as well.

Try from Rome, IT or anywhere in Europe. They have zero repair centers now. They used to have one Germany or Austria, I don't remember anymore, but it's gone now.

It was more than 150 Euros for my co-worker from Rome. Then they made her pay the shipping back to her at home. All said that alone cost her more than she paid for the bag. Then the same bag broke again the next time she used it, it was a Torq btw.

I have a small team that travels often, all of us have a Brigg's bag, or more than one. I am the only one that hasn't had to have a repair, but I don't use my that often. All 4 of the other people have had to pay freight both ways.

Just sharing what I know. As I said before, I'd rather have a bag that never needed a repair (in a reasonable life of use) than have a warranty that cost me $82 round trip for repairs. Especially when I could have paid $14 for the repair locally if they have the capability.
well........ just for the record. Briggs does pay return shipping to your USA address. Ex-US shipping is on you, apparently. I guess it's still a US centric company.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
Originally Posted by Mellonc
well........ just for the record. Briggs does pay return shipping to your USA address. Ex-US shipping is on you, apparently. I guess it's still a US centric company.
Tell that to Bruce and Monica, they paid both ways. Tell Steve about the $10 charge for sending him a self repair kit for a broken handle, and another $10 for a wheel.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:31 am

Programs: A3*G, IHG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mbece
I didn't know Adolfo Dominguez made luggage. My dad has some clothing of this designer and it is very durable and, even after many years of use, it doesn't really show wear.
Unfortunately I can't find them anymore. Don't know if they still produce them...
Old Aug 15, 2017, 5:45 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Briggs and Riley rollaboard. Absolutely the best carry on bag I've ever had. Mine is no longer current stock, but the nearest is I think what they call International Carry On Expandable Wide Body Upright.

I don't have the CX expansion thingy, but it has all the other gizmos, and I take it for all my sub week trips and some longer ones too. Fits in BA overhead lockers, even on the Embraer 190s from LCY
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, SPG Platinum, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by mspreh
For international, if you are checking it, I would avoid B&R.

Tumi doesn't have the lifetime warranty anymore, but has the lowest repair rate per bag produced. (They have had this honor the past 5 years awarded at the International Travel Goods Show.)
I did a search for these awards but could not find them. Could you provide the reference for all the award winners from this show and the criteria used to select them? Mahalo!
Old Jan 14, 2018, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Wheeled: I had Costco Kirkland 22s for nearly 12 years (three of them, warranty replacements) until I didn't like the style of their newest model. Got my $110 back (the frame had broken on the bottom from an airline worker throwing it) and bought a TravelPro Magna 2.

Not Wheeled: Mostly Red Oxx and Tom Bihn
- RO Beanos 5.5 - Holds a stack of Eagle Creek 18" packing folders in its center section, so I use it on the few occasions where I need multiple suits and dress shirts, for long driving vacations, or for those international trips of 7+ days where giving out laundry every 4-5 days isn't an option
- TB Brain Bag - bought it for a 3-week Australian trip 10 years ago, used it as my primary work bag for 8 years. This goes with the 5.5 internationally or on CR9s as it has the right form factor when I have to check my main bag
- RO CPA Bag - my basic work bag when visiting clients. A fantastic bag for overnight trips, holds an Eagle Creek 18" travel folder with a change of clothes, a small laptop, a 11x8 spiral notebook to write in, and toiletries and chargers.
- Hartmann Garment Folder - a one-suit garment bag with an outside pocket which can hold a packing folder for a dress shirt. Used for overnight trips to visit clients
- RO Extra Small Aviator (old shape) - my primary under the seat bag for long flights
Old Jan 21, 2018, 5:38 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

For the past 7 or 8 years, I've been using a standard Samsonite carry-on. At this point, it's not falling apart but it sure does look beat to hell.

Coincidentally, my son was travelling with me FLL-BWI last week and had a piece of crap carry-on called Mia Toro (ex-wife bought it for him, not me!) get destroyed when he opted to check it in. As he needed a functioning suitcase to get back to school after winter break, , I gave him my old Samsonite and just purchased an Eagle Creek Tarmac International. I'm old school so I wanted a two-wheeled bag instead of the now popular 4-wheel spinners.

I haven't received it yet but will provide feedback once I've used it a few times.

https://www.amazon.com/Creek-Exploration-Tarmac-International-Carry/dp/B01LYOAHFS/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1516579632
Old Jan 21, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: QF
Red Oxx for non wheeled and Antler for the rare occasion when I check a bag.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:47 pm

Programs: LH M+M
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
, I gave him my old Samsonite and just purchased an Eagle Creek Tarmac International. I'm old school so I wanted a two-wheeled bag instead of the now popular 4-wheel spinners.
I haven't received it yet but will provide feedback once I've used it a few times.
I've a variant of that one (Switchback) and I like it (around for ~5y now).
Looking at my "pile", I cant tell, I am married with a brand :-)
The above mentioned EC for large carry on.
Tombihn Tristar for smaller carry on (I could "marry" the belt, though)
Riut R15.3 for "daily" commute and 1-day/night.
Victorinox Lexicon 73l for check-in on >7d.
Small gear mostly from eagle-creek (I like the lightness of 'Specter') but many others as well.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
I've used the HEYS brand of roll aboards for years now.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Gold
I have a RedOxx AirBoss for 3-5 day trips and a TravelPro Walkabout 4 22" for 6-7. The RedOxx warranty is fantastic.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:11 pm

I go with Samsonite as well, however if you're ready to spare some extra bucks and want to get classy go for Louis Vuitton. Loved their keepalls!
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: BA Exec Club: Gold HHons:Diamond FB:Ivory Accor:Plat Hertz: PC USA:GlobalEntry
Samsonite Oysters made in Belgium.
Had mine for over 20 years, at least 80 transatlantic, 2 South America, RTW twice, Aust 3 times.
Opened by TSA on a regular basis (I like bringing cans of beer back home from the USA).
All wheels, locks, hinges and handles still working like new.

Bought 2 of those spinner Samsonites in last 3 years - both broken, 1 wheel, 1 handle - useless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.