Wiki Posts
Search

Stuck RIMOWA Salsa Deluxe Lock

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Stuck RIMOWA Salsa Deluxe Lock

Help guys!

My lock is stuck. I'm currently in sapporo, will be traveling to Tokyo tomorrow. I know that rimowa has service in tokyo. But does anyone have a better plan to solve my predicament?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:45 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
How is it stuck. Did you forget your combo or what's wrong? And is it stuck locked or unlocked?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 2:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. I called RIMOWA Japan and they directed me to a local repair shop. The guys at the shop manage to unlock it. It was stuck in a locked position. Somehow the combination changed. There have been other such case. Regardless, the service by RIMOWA Japan was excellent (and free of charge).
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
I am not in the least bit surprised this has happened. I had a nightmare experience about two years ago moments after purchasing from the store at Berlin TXL. I purchased the Aluminium pilot case with Lufthansa logo.

I set the combination of the one on left, as per instructions. Lock it, try it, fine. Do the second lock, lock it and won't open again!!! Even trying 0 0 0 and it won't open. Although what was odd was the dials were hard to turn on second lock and it was 0 0 0 originally which was working fine just not my new combination.

I only had 90 mins to go until my BA flight to London so I went back to the shop for refund. "Not possible" I was told as it was "my fault as I must have entered the combination wrong".
Then I learn the student working in the shop doesn't have authorisation to give refunds and the manager is off sick.

At this point I did not have time to argue so would take it up with Amex when I got back to the UK or get it fixed in the UK. So I left for the gate as the flight was boarding.

However when I go through security, of course, security want it opened to look inside. As I can't open it this immediately raises suspicion. Then I am told that I have to leave my £400 purchase behind.
Then I get the receipt out and show security I have just purchased it which seems to appease them. But then I am not even allowed to check it into the hold knowing it is locked and that I can't open it. I am then let out of the gate area.

I race back to shop to try again for a refund and fortunately a lady on her day off who is more senior has stopped by the shop. She is able to process the refund and I make the flight with minutes to spare.

It has put me off anything Rimowa completely!
Old Nov 11, 2015, 11:31 am

I am having problems with the rimowa lock as well, fantastic it locks up after a trip and i cant get the damn thing to open. I have gone online to try and find the contacts at the local office but classic the website wont load.

Then i try finding the US website to see if i can change the country but no...the US website doesnt work...at this point i feel like burning my salsa and letting it sit infront of the house while my neighbors take pictures and post these on social media, heck why not if my neighbor did the same i would take pics as well.

That being said i wish rimowa would seriously take their products ....ing serious and handle these defects which ive read so much about...It really has nothing to do with TSA or aliens or the third reich it has all to do with QC..

Do the god damn QC and make the products you are famous for... Thanks...
Old Nov 11, 2015, 4:02 pm

Programs: *G
happened to me once. needed access to my stuff. basically pried the lock cap off with a flathead screwdriver and the small bits and bobs fell out, freeing the lock.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by potatorivo
I am having problems with the rimowa lock as well, fantastic it locks up after a trip and i cant get the damn thing to open. I have gone online to try and find the contacts at the local office but classic the website wont load.

Then i try finding the US website to see if i can change the country but no...the US website doesnt work...at this point i feel like burning my salsa and letting it sit infront of the house while my neighbors take pictures and post these on social media, heck why not if my neighbor did the same i would take pics as well.

That being said i wish rimowa would seriously take their products ....ing serious and handle these defects which ive read so much about...It really has nothing to do with TSA or aliens or the third reich it has all to do with QC..

Do the god damn QC and make the products you are famous for... Thanks...
Rimowa had some faulty batches of these locks in the Salsa line that typically within a 12 months period would develop this sudden lock syndrome. First try to use this method in this video:

Second try to ask at reception of your hotel if they have access to TSA keys that can unlock your bag. Some hotels actually do if you are in the US! If not ask if they have access to pliers that you can use to cut the lock open.

Once you have it open then empty it of all personal belongings and take it to the nearest authorized Rimowa shop. They can typically replace the lock within 15 minutes to 1 hour.

Where are you located at the moment?
Old Nov 13, 2015, 7:26 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I had this happen to me while I was in HK... Took it to a Rimowa shop, and some dude with a clear plastic chip opened it in 30 seconds. I guess he was doing something similar to the video.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:05 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Rimowa will fix this under warranty. They are pretty good about not asking questions or blaming the victim during the 5 year period. Also, their repairs even outside the warranty are pretty inexpensive, considering the price of the bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.