Old Jan 29, 2015, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mfkne
Print Wikipost

The little useful things no one thinks of

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2015, 5:33 pm

Programs: Former AA Gold, SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I don't trust an extension cord to do that for two people from one outlet in my MIL's house. I would in a hotel, but not in a late Edwardian era semi-detached that was probably last renovated in the 1960s.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:42 pm

Update for lint remover:

Muji makes a folding sticky lint remover with protective cover and it does a comparable job to the 3M travel kind, except it is a bit shorter when stowed and no need to stick on the protective sheet (lopsided, usually). I picked one up when in Japan along with a few refills (which 3M doesn't offer for the travel size)
http://www.muji.net/store/cmdty/deta...66?searchno=44
+ Blog post showing size and possibly oem Nitons also makes the Muji one and other colors are sold on amazon.co.jp http://blog.livedoor.jp/qona/archives/6975348.html

I tried the clear invoice label and found that the Fedex ones left a bit of fine white dog hair behind but definitely better than nothing. I also picked up a flat Scotch Brite Lint Lifter which is good enough for minimalist travel if you have the extra time to pat away http://www.scotch-brite.com/wps/port...4061149&rt=rud

I might also throw in a packet of artificial sweetener into my travel laundry kit/personal item. Evidently it can be used like baking soda or corn starch to help lift oil stains.

Last edited by freecia; Aug 2, 2015 at 10:11 pm Reason: + blog link
Old Sep 27, 2016, 5:58 am

Things and app

The idea of a spork is really clever actually. I also carry tons of wet wipes with me because you never know when you'll need one (not just for hands) if you know what i mean.
A compass so that i always no which way is which - seems obvious but many don't bother carrying one anymore but i do.

I also have a whole barrage of apps that i use with wifi and without.
The ones without wifi (for my sanity) are:
Brain it out! - brain games that keep me sane when im bored and internetless.
xe - the currency converter uses almost no wifi to use it
Vacationship.io for meeting locals to take you around and having a little fun with.
my reminders app. i need to keep things in my head but i often forget so things like birthday and checking up on my bank account which is important for me.

Anythign else people take along with them that i don't know about?
Old Oct 2, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: AS MVPG, SPG Gold
Gerber Shard: www.amzn.com/B002ZK45IQ. Best thing ever. I most frequently use the bottle opener, the wire cutter (tags on clothes), and the prybar.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
A couple of stays back, my room had curtains with "glitch" so that they just wouldn't close fully. In the past I've managed to rig up McGuyver-ish fixes, effective to varying degrees, but this time was among the toughest.

So, last week, at the dollar store I picked up a three pack of clips (red/black/white), marketed to keep bags of snacks fastened. Used one on a stay a couple of days later, pleasantly surprised at its firm grip.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 6:28 am

Programs: Independent
A hang over from my early days trying to make it in the video industry, I used to always carry around a clothespin or two. Great for things like clipping curtains together or holding something closed - you can also reverse the two wooden parts to make a crude pair of tweezers.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:17 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Binder clips - I can use them for my papers, for curtains that won't close, or for hanging up wet clothing - smaller than clothespins and I always have them around my office, unlike clothespins (which I never seem to have - I use a drying rack at home, not a clothesline)
lskohn likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 8:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
For African travel. Husband likes

No Rinse Shampoo - 8 Oz Bottle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EHNE0M..._wTioAb9XC8DEG

And Fazitrip Quick Drying Towel/Microfiber Towels /Sport Towels /Travel Towels with Carry Mesh Bag- Ultra Compact Lightweight Best for Camping, Hiking, Swimming, Gym (L 51'' x 31.5'' and 32'' x 16'') https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072B8ZQC6..._oWioAbJWAXFBJ. If he has access to water

and HyperGo After Sports Wipes, Full Body Wipes, Unscented, Hypoallergenic, All Natural Ingredients, Biodegradable (20 Wipes in Resealable Package) (1 Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013VIPNS6..._lYioAbBJNZ0G3
If he doesn't have access to water
Old Dec 25, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 1200GS
I carry a small bottle of Downy Wrinkle Release with my toiletries. It has an odor reducer in the spray. Works "okay" for removing wrinkles as well.
My answer to wrinkles is simply a small spray bottle which I fill with water. I spray so-called no-iron shirts coming out of the suitcase when I hang them up. I spray suits or blazers either out of the suitcase or that I've worn that day. In a short time, the wrinkles fall out. I find a little spritzing with water works better than steaming in the shower and it's certainly easier.
Tizzette likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.