Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International carry-on dimensions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

International carry-on dimensions

At various websites I've seen the distinction between international carry-ons and domestic ones. After some search I couldn't discover the difference: for instance, on United, this page (http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/trav...eCarry-On.aspx) only show one dimension requirement.

So, what exactly is the dimension difference? And does "international" mean a flight that originates in US but with a foreign destination? Or does it mean both origin and destination are foreign? Does this requirement apply to certain airlines only?

Thanks!
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:31 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Each airline determines its own carry-on bag restrictions, so the terms "international carry-on" and "domestic carry-on" are fairly meaningless. The terms are a reference to the fact that traditionally, in the U.S., most airlines do not bother to strictly police carry-on sizes, so people can board with almost anything.

However, many U.S.-based airlines have become more strict lately. Because bag manufacturers are known to attach meaningless marketing terms (such as those above) and provide misleading and/or inaccurate dimensions for their bags, it's left to us (the consumer) to ensure that any bag we buy meets the requirements for the specific airlines on which we want to carry it.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
The terms "domestic" and "international" don't apply to flight origin and destination but the airlines themselves with "domestic" being American and "international" being everywhere else.

Generally speaking domestic is long and narrow (22"x14"x9) while International is shorter and wider (20"x16"x9") but the final say belongs to the individual airline and the are no agreed upon standards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.