Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Any hand wipes that kill bacteria and viruses?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2015, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold

Anyone use something to wipe down your tray table, armrest, etc before departing? I've never done this before, but flu season seems to be particularly bad this winter. Most of the wipes I've looked at are only good against bacteria. If you want to eradicate flu, E. Coli, Salmonella, Staph, and Strep it seems like you need to go with Clorox. But then you need to wash up after, although I guess that's a small price to pay.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Can you not use Clorox wipes with disposable gloves? That would take care of the washing hands afterwards.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 12:25 pm

Programs: WN, UA, HHonors, MR
Keep a baggie of Clorox wipes for the dirty plane, and a baggie of Wet Ones two clean your hands off afterwards? Though I use Clorox wipes to clean work spaces (shared office) all the time and don't wash up afterwards. Is the concern over needing to wash up after using a Clorox wipe due to something specific?
Old Jan 17, 2015, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Yes, I could use clorox and then wash up afterwards. I was just wondering if there was a product that could kill flu/virus bugs without being so harsh on humans.

A pair of thin disposable gloves for using the clorox could do the trick as well.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 1:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Yes, I could use clorox and then wash up afterwards. I was just wondering if there was a product that could kill flu/virus bugs without being so harsh on humans.

A pair of thin disposable gloves for using the clorox could do the trick as well.
I Clorox down my arm rests and seat belt receptacle every flight. if you are worried about the dirty wipes contaminating your hands, you can also purchase Purell individually packaged hand wipes to to clean your hands after.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 10:43 pm

I use Clorox travel wipes on every flight
http://www.amazon.com/Clorox-Disinfe...nfecting+wipes

I am not a germophobe, but after starting to wipe down the armrests and tray table on each flight, it's cut the number of times I get sick during or right after travel by about 75%.

Clorox wipes kill bacteria and viruses, and I don't have to wash after using them.
Clorox Disinfecting Wipes kill 99.9% of viruses and bacteria, including cold and flu, E. Coli, Salmonella, Staph, and Strep. The quick and easy way to clean and disinfect with just one product, Clorox Disinfecting Wipes work on a variety of surfaces, including mirrors and glass, finished hardwood and even greasy kitchen counters and appliances.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 10:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Most viruses survive only a very short time on dry surfaces. Survival after any disinfectant wipe will be negligible.

Wash your hands frequently, and avoid shaking hands. It's the hand that moments before contacted body secretions, then touches your hands moments before you rub your eyes, nose, or mouth that is going to be the problem.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:46 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Most viruses survive only a very short time on dry surfaces. Survival after any disinfectant wipe will be negligible.

Wash your hands frequently, and avoid shaking hands. It's the hand that moments before contacted body secretions, then touches your hands moments before you rub your eyes, nose, or mouth that is going to be the problem.
Pretty much this.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA-Million Miles++, Pan Am, Eastern, Asia Miles, True Blue, IHG Spire, Emirates, APEC & Global Entry
This is the stuff. 100% kill. 99% is in-effective.

http://www.amazon.com/PURE-Disinfect...s=puregreen+24

For hands, bathrooms, air seat-area, hotel room, bathtub, remotes, doorknobs, EVERYTHING. Wet your hands with this stuff and start grabbing. Including your suitcase handles.

Don't drink it. But underarms OK.

My gift to you. 10 Years. Never travel-ill.

Great for the sick-room too. Not harsh like bleach.

Best!
--Cyllabus
Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:40 pm

A stray cough from your seatmate and all of your efforts go to waste.

Focus on ways to boost your immune system. Airborne/Emergen-C; diet and exercise; water and sleep. That's the best we can hope for. Not all health and sickness is within our control, even though the sentiment in this thread implies otherwise.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: UA Gold, United Presidential Plus, Hertz President's Club, Hyatt Platinum
I use these on every flight. http://www.samsclub.com/sams/germ-x-...0-ct/194561.ip
Old Feb 1, 2015, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
How many other people are reading this thread and thinking about all the reports showing "disinfect everything, be immune to nothing" is a problem in the US?

About the only concession to "OMG Germs!" I occasionally make is the psychological comfort from having the air vent angled to pass over my face pretty much like a store air curtain. That and it helps if the plane is too hot, which for me they frequently are. No idea if it does anything, but it makes me feel as though other pax coughing up germs/virus around me is going to have a harder time infecting me.

Clearly and obviously, YMMV.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
How many other people are reading this thread and thinking about all the reports showing "disinfect everything, be immune to nothing" is a problem in the US?
All I can tell you is that I am not a germophobe by any stretch of the imagination. I used to be a medic, so blood and infectious materials do not freak me out.

That said, airplanes are darned petri dishes, and I have gotten sick too often after flying. There are few things more miserable than being sick in a hotel four states from home.

The prime method of transmission of infections is from a contaminated surface to the mucous membranes. So I wipe down the seat arms and tray table.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by pilotalan
The prime method of transmission of infections is from a contaminated surface to the mucous membranes. So I wipe down the seat arms and tray table.
The mucous membranes, huh? Wouldn't it be easier to stop sniffing or licking the arm rests and tray tables?
Old Feb 2, 2015, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
How often do you wipe the kitchen counter or dining room table? It's just common sense. In business class on international flights, I am amazed at how much grime and dirt a simple wipe picks up.

IMHO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.