Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Coffee lovers: Opinions on a travel French Press

Old Jan 7, 2015, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So, I'm trying to find a travel french press for a friend of mine.

I'm looking for a travel mug that has the the french press capabilities as she's in rural India and she'll have access to boiling water, but that's about it.

I'm thinking about this one GSI Outdoors Commuter Press Mug based on the review here -

Also looked at the reviews here and they recommend the Planetary Double Shot French Press Mug

Anyone have either of these & anyone have any opinions on them?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 7, 2015, 9:23 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
I have not tried either of the mugs you linked to but when I did try the French Press - Mug thing, I had the Bodum. If you go for the Bodum, the metal version is better than the plastic version.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I've tried a camping french press that you place inside a Nalgene bottle... my main complaint was, if you're not pouring the brewed coffee into separate cup, there is still some steeping action going on in the bottom while you're drinking, so unless you drink fairly quickly you end up with the second half of the cup tending towards bitter and over-extracted. I'd try to avoid any combo solution that has you drinking coffee that's still steeping. If French Press is what she likes, get her a Bodum and a separate travel mug.

Also, I've always thought the French Press in general was a bit of a one-trick pony. Something like the Aeropress is MUCH more versatile, being able to make drinks ranging anywhere form near-espresso to something more like a french press. I personally make something that comes out quite like an americano but without having to dilute after the press. I'd never think of making a Latte or anything similar from a French Press, but I could get pretty darn close with an Aeropress. If you don't like the idea of using a paper filter every time, there are several metal mesh filters available with varying aperture sizes.

Also, for pure simplicity, the Melitta Ready Set Joe is tough to beat especially for $5.50. You can vary things a bit more with it than a French Press, but not nearly as much as the Aeropress. It will also take a #2 gold mesh reusable filter if you don't want to deal with paper filters.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Good point about the coffee continue to brewing - never would have thought about that. I'm planning on sending her a package with some coffee from a local roaster that I know she likes and I know she drinks her coffee black, so I'm not worried about the additional things like sugar/milk, etc.

The think I like about the GSI vs. the Bodum is the less moving parts - it seems like the GSI would be better for backpacking/travel. But the Bodum looks better for sure. Will do a little more research on that one. Thanks!
Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Don't overlook the Aeropress... it's by far the best non-electric option I've found (compared to French Press, Bialetti, Pour-Over, etc)
Old Jan 7, 2015, 1:08 pm

Programs: EXP LTPlat
Thumbs up

I second the aeropress
Old Jan 7, 2015, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
Most of the "travel" coffee presses are too small and they are plastic. And if you like coffee, plastic and hot water do not mix... Get this and call it a day. You can even stuff it with other things in your carry on and fits pretty nicely. And it has sufficient amount for 4 cups
Old Jan 7, 2015, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I looked at Aeropress and it's got too many moving parts for what I'm looking for. It looks great & seems great for single cup, but for the type of traveling doing (backpacking), I'm not sure I want to get her the aeropress.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I've decided to go with Bodum - thanks for the input everyone!
Old Jan 7, 2015, 4:29 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
I've decided to go with Bodum - thanks for the input everyone!
Decision made in 5 hours - way to go to gather some opinions.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MAN Pax
It's a gift for someone who will be happy with whatever. I had 2 options that I checked out & someone presented a 3rd option which multiple people supported & I checked it out & it was better than my first option. Requirements were simple - travel friendly french press with few moving parts that has a cup built in. Wanted to make a decision sooner than later as I have to have it delivered to NYC & then sent to India.

It works. No need to dwell on a $30 decision - more important things in life.

And, if better info comes along in the next day or two, I'll just order a different one & return the one I got...
Old Jan 8, 2015, 1:42 am

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
Sorry if I'm too late to the party but I have the rei double shot. I fell in love with it on a camping trip and have used it everywhere since. The best part is the hollow for storing coffe/tea/whatever in the bottom.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

You can never be late to any party!

I looked at the REI one as well - however, the thing that kept me off of it was the handle on it. I want clean & simple design with few moving parts and few opportunities for breakage. The more tube oriented mugs (vs. handled ones) can fit into a variety of more places in a backpack.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 4:19 am

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
You can never be late to any party!

I looked at the REI one as well - however, the thing that kept me off of it was the handle on it. I want clean & simple design with few moving parts and few opportunities for breakage. The more tube oriented mugs (vs. handled ones) can fit into a variety of more places in a backpack.
I totally see what you mean. I usually, store mine on the outside of my pack with a gear tie or carabiner.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by MAN Pax
For those coming back to this, for travel durability Freiling is my choice:

http://www.amazon.com/Frieling-Frenc...words=frieling

(comes in other sizes/styles).

Pure French press, metal, solid. Unfortunately heavy if you're backpacking, but otherwise a non-issue. Also keeps the coffee warm for a while (even with grounds pressed to bottom).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.