Wiki Posts
Search

Need clothes bag to ride on trolley

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2014, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

I have a rather unusual requirement.
I have to carry my laptop, customer laptop, two iPads, chargers and such, and books for MBA classes. Due to data security this bag MUST stay in the cabin with me, regardless of cabin size (RJ) etc. On the road about 20 weeks a year.

I have been using a 20" roller for clothes and a bag for computers. I realized I am carrying the heavy stuff and rolling the light stuff.

Considering a Travelpro Crew 7 for computer stuff:
http://www.overstock.com/Luggage-Bag...0/product.html

I need to put the clothes in a bag that can go on the handle of the computer bag, and has compression straps (and can be gate checked if required). I like the Airboss and SkyTrain, but they won't nest on the handle of the trolley.

Any suggestion for the clothes bag, or better ideas for the trolley?
Old Dec 23, 2014, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)

With your requirement to carry computer stuff on any RJ, I'd avoid anything with wheels.

On smaller RJ such as Dash-8 the rule by gate agents and FA often is nothing with wheels regardless of size. (Yes I've often carried on my rolling briefcase but also know the risk)
Old Dec 24, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
If you decide the Crew 7 meets your needs and you don't mind the color, that Crew 7 is a good deal and many feel that starting with the Crew 7 line, quality started to drop quickly (though I'm still happy enough with my Crew 9 20" if it didn't tip over so easily). Keep in mind the TravelPro warranty isn't what it used to be, though.

As for the top bag, I have a TravelPro Platinum 2 Tote that I sometimes throw on top of my rolling bag that works well for 2-4 days of clothing depending on the needs of the trip (2-3 days of dress clothes in folders/cubes, 3-4 days of shorts and t-shirts just folded and pushed in). It does have compression straps, but their location at the top mean they really only help hold the shape of the top opening for zipping closed and don't really compress the contents all that much. TravelpPro has this kind of tote in most of their lines and all should have the rear strap for sliding over the handle of a roller.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold
Use a Sky Train / Air Boss if you wish and add something like a Bag Bungee.

I have not used a Bag Bungee myself (but I do use a Sky Train) but it does have very good reviews on Amazon and doesn't cost much so probably worth a try.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
As for the top bag, I have a TravelPro Platinum 2 Tote that I sometimes throw on top of my rolling bag that works well for 2-4 days of clothing depending on the needs of the trip (2-3 days of dress clothes in folders/cubes, 3-4 days of shorts and t-shirts just folded and pushed in)
I need to pack for up to 2-5 days, although (like everyone here) I pack very light. I am looking for something for the 4-5 day range, packing for 2-3 days is trivially easy and doesn't take much room.
Originally Posted by Matrick
Use a Sky Train / Air Boss if you wish and add something like a Bag Bungee..
I had thought about the bag bungee, but really hate the idea of having another *thing* to deal with and keep track of. You know what I mean, having to take it off then stow the bag bungee.

If I end up going the SkyTrain/Airboss route, I'll get a handle strap added my luggage repair shop. But with the Airboss, the outer panels are zippered panels, so I'm worried about stability if the Airboss isn't full.

As an aside, the Airboss without the center padded section would be perfect.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Segments
With your requirement to carry computer stuff on any RJ, I'd avoid anything with wheels.

On smaller RJ such as Dash-8 the rule by gate agents and FA often is nothing with wheels regardless of size. (Yes I've often carried on my rolling briefcase but also know the risk)
Would you recommend a bag to take the laptops/tablets that you know fits in RJ overheads? Often I end up in bulkhead seats, or window seats with half-space under the seat ahead.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

As an aside, the other option is to get a slim computer bag and carry just the computers themselves, put all the chargers and accouterments into the clothes rolling case.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 8:11 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by pilotalan
Would you recommend a bag to take the laptops/tablets that you know fits in RJ overheads? Often I end up in bulkhead seats, or window seats with half-space under the seat ahead.
Currently I use a Samsonite backpack for my laptops and other carry on essentials. With two laptops it can get heavy so my other bag is a spinner which allows easy "ride on top" for the backpack.

I usually place under the seat, but for overhead bin just watch bag's smallest dimension. Since mine is overstuffed it fits under seat but I may flatten the bag by shifting accessories to the top once the bag is laid flat. (Reducing the depth, usually needed under the seat but not for overheads). Other alternative is to put accessories in rolling carry on as you suggested.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.