Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Does anyone understand why luggage is still sold in sets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This makes no sense to me. Who needs -- or uses -- a "set" of luggage? Is it simply a marketing ploy: you're trying to sell a person multiple pieces of luggage instead of one? Not a bad idea, I guess, but how many people think they need a set? I would think 90%+ of luggage is bought for air travel, and sets make no sense in this day and age. Most experienced air travelers are probably looking for carry-on rollaboards, and the rest of the population would want ginormous bags with wheels to haul half their worldly possessions.

Who wants the sets?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:11 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
The sets are usually the lower priced luggage. My theory is that people want a 'deal' so they figure the $/per piece is low enough to make it worthwhile.

Who knows? Maybe they figure they can give one away as a gift?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
This makes no sense to me. Who needs -- or uses -- a "set" of luggage? Is it simply a marketing ploy: you're trying to sell a person multiple pieces of luggage instead of one? Not a bad idea, I guess, but how many people think they need a set? I would think 90%+ of luggage is bought for air travel, and sets make no sense in this day and age. Most experienced air travelers are probably looking for carry-on rollaboards, and the rest of the population would want ginormous bags with wheels to haul half their worldly possessions.

Who wants the sets?
Kettles. The big one for Ma, the Medium sized one (which never ends up being used) for Pa, the 22" as a carry-on, the tote as an awkward, don't-know-what-to-do-with-it carry-on, and the duffel bag is just a freebie that gets stored in the medium suitcase.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by bobert24
Kettles. The big one for Ma, the Medium sized one (which never ends up being used) for Pa, the 22" as a carry-on, the tote as an awkward, don't-know-what-to-do-with-it carry-on, and the duffel bag is just a freebie that gets stored in the medium suitcase.
Pretty much this. It looks like a good deal for those that don't really know what they're looking for. My very first luggage purchase was a 4-piece set (22", 25", 28", tote) at Target for $99 to take on my honeymoon... the tote now holds my old NES and games in the attic, the 25" lost a foot on said honeymoon and got tossed, the 22" just got used as a sacrificial bag to take a bunch of give-away baby clothes to a friend in Chicago, and the 28" holds other unused bags in the attic.

That said, there are some sets that are better deals than others... some of the hard-side sets at Costco don't look bad for the money IF all the sizes will be used... I think that's the biggie for most people and, as creatures of habit, we often return to the same bag over and over again (I do 80% of my trips out of a rolling tote, whether it's 2 nights or 4, only stepping up to a 20" in the winter or over 4 nights or down to a laptop bag and packing folder on 1-night trips).
Old Dec 11, 2014, 9:05 am

Yes, I understand.

It is all about marketing and the target
audience is the casual infrequent traveler.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 3:23 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Flying Blue, Skywards
I don't want a set, because I like experimenting with different brands, and also because I bought my suitcases at different times.

I did think about this recently though. I imagined I had a set.

The large one would be for long-haul travel back to my home-country, where I would need to maximise as much volume as I can, because there are lots of things and goodies I want to bring back to host-country.

The medium one would be ideal for road trips with my husband. One suitcase for two of us, leaving space in the boot for food and other essentials. A large one seems too bulky to lug in and out of accommodation that changes daily.

The small would be for cabin use.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Sets can be a good deal. I've gotten a few over the years, and keep them until they get worn out. If you can get these sets at a retailer with a liberal warranty policy, even better.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
As a kid traveling with my parents, a luggage set made good sense. As we each had a bag "right sized" for trips.

Now, I'm not so sure because I've come to love bags which are flexible enough for multiple use cases - not just rolling in or out of airports. It would be cool to see if a set of 1 large wheeled bag, 1 carry on wheeled bag, 1 weekend duffel, and a Computer bag/24hour brief would sell.

Right now, I just travel with an old soft side suitcase and a comp bag.

What do u all think?
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:01 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
I think the vast majority of frequent fliers use a carry-on suitcase and a personal bag (be it for computer, etc).
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:14 am

I do know some people who want matching luggage -- yes, the physical appearance is important to them. Go figure. So they want a set which would allow them to mix and match sizes without having to worry about whether they would aesthetically match.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:32 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
We travel quite a lot, anywhere from a week to 3 or 4 months, so for us different sizes of luggage make sense.

I do however buy our luggage by the piece, not the set.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 5:22 pm

I use the medium sized ones regularly. It fits perfectly inside the big one, which is awfully convenient for weekend shopping trips.

Or if I'm traveling with my 3 year old. Both of our stuff fits in the medium one conveniently.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 6:37 pm

Back when I rarely traveled, we bought sets because it was much less expensive than buying individual units. I didn't have the experience then to recognize and value the advantages of specific brands and specific bag designs.

Now, like everyone here, I buy individual bags. But a while back I did buy a two-piece Samsonite hard-side set at Costco to get the 20" spinner which is now my go-to bag. Buying the set at Costco was cheaper than buying the 20" separately, and the 26" is useful for weekend trips so my wife and I can pack in one bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.