Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wheel-less Two-Day Bag

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Wheel-less Two-Day Bag

I am looking for a wheel-less two-day or three-day bag that will fit in the overhead compartment of regional jets that frequent Cincinnati Airport. I don't want a full-sized bag like the 22 x 14 x 9 since I always have room left in those bags. Just need to carry a laptop, three sets of slacks and a few shirts. I have traveled light for years and prefer that method. The bag needs to be made of decent quality materials but nothing like leather since it's likely to get man-handled at some time in its lifespan. Thanks.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 12:17 pm

Not sure of your budget but you might consider the following:

Tom Bihn Aeronaut 30
Tom Bihn Tri-Star
Eagle Creek Adventure Weekender
eBags TLS MotherLode Weekender Junior

I have all of them.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold, *wood Gold
I have the Tom Bihn Tristar and it's my go to bag. Picture of the bag from the Tom Bihn site in the overhead of a CRJ200.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tombih...57629920809835
Old Nov 5, 2014, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for those recommendations. I have it down to two bags which are both made by Tome Hihn. First is the Tri-Star and a close second is the Aeronaut 30. I will read a bit more prior to making the decision. They appear to be very well made bags.
Originally Posted by 1Bag1World

Tom Bihn Aeronaut 30
Tom Bihn Tri-Star

I have all of them.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold, *wood Gold
I can only speak for the TriStar but I love the organization of the bag. The compartments offer a nice way to really organize your items and the size is great. I debated between the TriStar and Aero and went with the Tri based on the size first and then organization.

I should mention that I have 3 Tom Bihn bags in total and love every one of them.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 3:11 pm

Both bags are excellent and it really depends on your packing style. Do you prefer one larger compartment or multiple smaller compartments.

Considering what you're carrying, I might lean towards the Tri-Star for its organization. Middle pocket for laptop. One end pocket has internal tie down straps that would help with the pants and shirts.

I have numerous Tom Bihn bags and accessories and the quality of workmanship is excellent. They are made in a small factory in Seatlle rather than mass produced in Asia

If you have questions on the bags, you can contact the company directly--they are great to work with--or ask questions to their customers on the website's forum.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Yes plus

Originally Posted by 1Bag1World

Tom Bihn Aeronaut 30
Tom Bihn Tri-Star

I have all of them.
RedOxx Aviator bags. Extra small
Old Nov 7, 2014, 4:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I have the Tristar which is a great bag. I would also seriously consider the Red Oxx Air Boss and Red Oxx Skytrain. A search here will provide lots of information on them. Their quality is superb and they have a great, unconditional warranty.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I went smaller with RedOxx

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I have the Tristar which is a great bag. I would also seriously consider the Red Oxx Air Boss and Red Oxx Skytrain. A search here will provide lots of information on them. Their quality is superb and they have a great, unconditional warranty.
I use a RedOxx Sun Chaser bag. The two bags mentioned above are excellent but are too large for my needs.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:08 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I'm not familiar with Tom Bihn, but RedOxx make their bags of amazingly sturdy stuff, including mil spec hardware. And if something fails, such as a very sharp-toothed Basenji being jealous you took your bag instead of your dog traveling (yes, that happened to me), they'll repair or (in my case) replace the bag. That's a lifetime warranty! :-:
Old Nov 15, 2014, 10:18 am

I agree with everyone that has mentioned RedOxx bags. They are the best.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold
I appreciate that the original poster wanted something particularly smaller but, for me personally, I rate the Air Boss too.

It collapses thinner when loaded with less so I use it for just one night away or a week away, it doesn't matter.

Of course luggage choice is very personal so there is not necessarily a right or wrong answer

Last edited by Matrick; Nov 16, 2014 at 12:46 am Reason: Typo
Old Nov 16, 2014, 4:29 am

You may also want to consider the Tom Bihn Western Flyer, which is a scaled-down version of the Tri-Star.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 9:10 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
If you want something versatile, that will fit when loaded for shorter trips in the overhead and will then also work for longer trips that may require a gate check, go with a Red Oxx Air Boss or Sky Train. If you want to stick with smaller, Red Oxx Sun Chaser or Safari Benos PR 4
Old Nov 16, 2014, 10:20 pm

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
I humbly submit the BR 307x, large expandable brief, for the OP's consideration. As I have been using it for 2 to 3 day client visits and personal trips. It fits in the overhead of a CRJ700 when fully stuffed and expanded. The GA never even attempted to ask me to gate check.

Hope this helps.

-tpacjv

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.