Wiki Posts
Search

Your thoughts on the new rimowa topas sport

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2014, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Your thoughts on the new rimowa topas sport

http://www.rimowa.com/en-us/topas/920.75.00.4

Looks delicious! What are your thoughts? I'm thinking of either getting this or the topas 29.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 3:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by sputnick
http://www.rimowa.com/en-us/topas/920.75.00.4

Looks delicious! What are your thoughts? I'm thinking of either getting this or the topas 29.
It's a trunk. Each to their own, I suppose.

Be careful with the 29; it's probably larger than most airlines will allow without paying excess.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 7:49 am

As Neverfirst correctly stated, it is indeed an aluminum version of the ReisenKoffer, or Sports Trunk /case. Having seen one recently, it is rugged, good looking ( even to those that are not German accountants ), lightweight, and well insulated.

The next step up to this case would be the larger and heavier Rimowa Columbus 2-wheeled footlocker.

The case design is also similar to the older alu. Rimowa Porsche XL case, in size and shape with the exception being that the 4 wheels are on the bottom, rather than the lower clamshell side in the earlier model. I've had one in alu for over a decade rolling around in the boot of a Cayenne, and it has held up as a auto equipment ( snow chains, spotlight, blanket, tools ) case perfectly.

The alu version is identical to the Salsa XXl / 32 version of the similar Salsa Sports Trunk in silver polycarbonate. Thus far I have never had a problem checking that case by overall linear size measurement with any airline, domestic or international. It can be used for business, or sports-related travel. I've carried excess paperwork, winter clothing, wetsuits, and SCUBA and Freediving equipment in ours.

The polycarbonate version can be seen in the Photo Gallery section, around page 45. Same size in alu or polycarbonate.

I lived out of one for a month and one half during the recent World Cup flying in and out of venue cities in Brasil. The Salsa version was great for that.

A small Bolero business case, Notebook bag, or attaché can be fitted along at the top of the case, attached over the dual pull handles. Unlike the Salsa polycarbonate material, if there were damage, it could be repaired on this case.

One feature missing here from the Porsche version is the pull handle on the outside face of the lid clamshell. That may have been deemed unnecessary in production design for airline travel, but I would be surprised if it didn't surface later in another model lines. I've seen ours pulled up into the cargo hold using that handle on TAM, JetBlue, Swiss, and Air Dolomiti flights. The case was fully loaded in those situations, but examining later, suffered no damage.

If I travelled frequently and wanted a well-matched set with a Topas case, I would buy one as a lifetime purchase for the serious traveller, without hesitation. With care, cleaning, and maintenance, it should last you that long, at least.

Much more a pragmatic case than delicious to me, but to each his own.

Last edited by Swissaire; Nov 5, 2014 at 8:11 am
Old Nov 5, 2014, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much Swissaire and Neverfirst!!
I believe the sport model has the pull handles on top as well as the side of the clamshell.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold/OneWorld Ruby
It certainly looks beautiful! I like the trunk form-factor, but I worry that packed full, even just with clothes, it would be easily over 50 lbs (although probably under 70 lbs). Depending on your baggage weight allowance (airline, FF status, Y vs. C/F ticket, etc.) that might be a problem.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 7:31 pm

Hi Sputnick-

Yes, there is a metal swing-handle on the side of the case, just below the 3 latches.

The handle I refer seen in the other cases is the German style, with a recessed well for the hand and fingers and a solid handle to pull just above the well. That is usually seen on the Rimowa Porsche cases.

The Salsa Sports case we own has a flexible handle attached to the side, top, and the top of the upper clamshell top. As mentioned it is practical to grab, but on a fully loaded case it appears to put stress on the upper clamshell lid.

Still a smart looking case. ( Hmmm .... Christmas is coming soon, isn't it ..... )
Old Nov 10, 2014, 4:28 pm

May I ask if Rimowa makes a garment bag for this case, as they do for the more conventional checked Topas pieces, please? Thanks
Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:53 am

Hi Frequent -

To my knowledge, Rimowa has only one garment bag, size XXL, made from the interior nylon fabric material used in the case lining, with a choice of colours.

The Rimowa garment bag is constructed with solid shoulder, snap open top, a full zipper, and mesh nylon for ventilation, at the lower quarter. It folds flat in 1/3's and has a snap attachment to carry it that way, if you prefer.

This nylon mesh is a great feature for those like myself on the run from a business meeting or conference (like Brasilia, Sao Paulo, or Miami ), trying to catch a flight, and remove and pack a jacket quickly, into something more comfortable.

In the Winter weather flying home, I pack along a V neck sweater into Rimowa zippered shirt bag, and re-pack the jacket into the garment bag, prior to boarding. Or in heavy snow and ice Winter weather, I pack an insulated rain coat, or wool mantle in the garment bag, and change into that.

Note that the size of this garment bag is suitable for packed luggage, and not carry-on. However, I have never had a problem taking the garment bag onboard by itself, and checking it with an FA for the flight.
Old May 27, 2015, 10:12 am

I am planning on buying one today or tomorrow to try out.

I currently have the 30" Topas and fully packed it weighs right around 19-21 kg.

I am slightly worried about the extra 5 liters of volume the Sport has....does anyone know if this bag easily becomes overweight?

I get 32kg per bag on long haul flights but I will be traveling on a lot of flights inside continental Europe where the limit is 23kg.

Lastly, is this case going to be as durable as the standard 50/50 split style Topas?

The other option if the trial packing makes the Sport Topas overweight is the Salsa Sport Trunk. Would this be a durable bag? I have never a bag from the Salsa line...it feels flimsy even when it's empty.
Old May 30, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I don't like the Topas Sport. It's too small. I prefer the larger size of the Salsa Sport which is offered in 98L. The beauty of it, is that it fits perfectly within the 158 cm linear dimension requirements. Anyways for packing, I used packing cubes. Works great. I get about 23 kg packing my equipment (ie: during the winters for snow gear).
Old May 31, 2015, 7:45 am

Programs: BA Executive Gold; Fairmont President's Club; Marriott Gold; various other memberships
I am a HUGE fan of this new configuration of luggage. While I was going to opt for the Topas Sport, I went for the Salsa Sport Multi-wheel at what I consider a huge savings. I like it so much I bought a second one a couple of weeks ago. The dimensions are versatile for lots of content and when traveling for a couple of weeks, you can fit everything needed. I really like the look of the Topas shell, but do get more volume (as someone mentioned earlier) and have 2 for nominally more than the price of 1. I have 2 Topas multi-wheel carryones (smaller and larger), so get the benefit of both.

On the question of weight, I am traveling from the UAE to London this week and have packed both Sport trunks full and am at 22.7kg and 21.5kg...with clothes, books and shoes.

It might not be for all, but I travel a lot and this versatility and the durability of this bag is great. Awesome luggage.
Old May 31, 2015, 8:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Sigh these bags look great and I would use them if I were traveling within our states.

However after sending these luggage off 3 times this year, they look worse than my Delsey.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:45 pm

sending them off for repair or to simply have the dents knocked out of them?

I am still on the fence about which one to get...the Salsa version is less flashy which I like but the material seems a bit weak.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 6:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Yeah unless you're interested into the wheels which is the best part about a Rimowa IMO, there's really no point into over paying.
Great Carry-on's, a little flashy.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 3:09 am

Programs: QF P1,UA 1K,HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Does anyone have one of these? Any negatives? As much as I like my Topas I don't like like it for shoes.
And now being bi-continental, I am always having to check a bag. I am in Germany next month and figured I can just pick up another bag. My local store did not have the Topas sport only the Salsa. Just curious to see others reviews.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.