Search

Help with Travel Backpack for Carry-On

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: RapidRewards, Hhonors Diamond, AA,WorldPerks
Help with Travel Backpack for Carry-On

Hi all,

I've combed the internet looking for an ideal carry-on bag for my upcoming dive trip to Thailand with no luck. I'm hoping this learned community can help me out. I've also examine several threads on the topic but none address my needs specifically.

I have a large wheeled dive duffel that I will be dragging with me and checking. But because I have to utilize a regional train and the BART train to get to the airport, I would like my carry-on to be a backpack.

In this backpack, I will pack:

Camera - Canon G15
Underwater housing for camera
Strobe for camera
Tray/arm for underwater camera kit
13 in MBA
iPad
Cords/battery packs/power strips for the above.
Small ziplock bag with toiletries for the plane
water bottle
wrist dive computer (2)
A medium packing cube which will house a change of clothes for when I get to HKG for my layover

Because of the weight of the above, and because I have a long layover in HKG and want to lounge hop, I'd like to have a substantial hip belt on the backpack so I can have that weight on my hips and not on my shoulders.

Also, I'm short - 5'2, so the torso length of any pack has to be manageable.

I will carry a medium size purse for phone, wallet, keys, money, chapstick, travel docs, etc.

I'm open to all suggestions. TIA
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:26 am

I think I would look at some camera stores online and see what they have. Do you have a local camera shop to go to? maybe you can try it out in the store.

What lounge are you planning on visiting in HKG? Are they really worth lounge hopping? We were in The Wing (biz) and it was very nice. I wouldn't want to leave (unless it was super busy and we couldn't find a spot) and think that in my limited experience with lounges that going from one to the other is a waste of time. But that's only my experience.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:45 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
While most of my gear is checked, I always hand carry 1 mask, my regs (in their own bag that gets put into the daybag) and computer and laptop. Also in that bag would be a very basic toiletries kit (other stuff is checked with the dive luggage) a change of clothes plus 1 swimsuit and a travel towel. Camera gear, strobe and arms go into a wheeled pelican. Sometimes I pull more foam out and put my computer and laptop and clean clothes in there to decrease the bulk in my daypack. Basically if my dive luggage gets lost/delayed, I can still safely dive with rentals plus have 1 change of clothes for comfort.

My daypack is an Eagle Creek Siren, but any padded daypack will do. It holds everything quite snugly. I recommend going to an outfitter such as REI to get fitted for a good pack. I'm also petite and could/should in theory be using a Junior's pack. I also found that carrying everything on my back was much too tiring because it threw off my center of balance and felt heavier than it actually was. That is why I chose to use the 1 + 1 wheeled Pelican carry-on plus small daypack.

For dive vacations, that include some dry time, I also pack a small nylon purse such as Lesportsac in my daypack because it folds flat and weighs next to nothing. A mesh boat bag (I prefer backpack style) is checked with the rest of my dive gear.

However if we do not bring camera equipment, we loose the wheeled pelican.

If you do decide to go with an all-in-one backpack such as a large Lowepro, I highly recommend getting a pack protector from a camping store for it. It helps with weather issues and is a mental deterrent for prying hands on public transit.

Last edited by tcl; Nov 3, 2014 at 9:51 am Reason: clarification.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 4:13 pm
Suspended

It would help if you said what the contents will weigh. If it exceeds the airine carry-on weight limit,that is the end of this conversation. Some airlines have as low a limit as 11 lbs. and 15 lbs. is common.

If you meet weight requirement then you need to say what size pack you need.

It appears you understand the importance of torso length and that a 'waist belt' is not a real 'hip belt'. Few people do, so you are ahead of the crowd in that. Few 'travel packs' do much to allow for varying torso length. One you could look at is the Osprey Farpoint 40. http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/produc...ng/farpoint_40
Old Nov 3, 2014, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: RapidRewards, Hhonors Diamond, AA,WorldPerks
Some more details...

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
It would help if you said what the contents will weigh. If it exceeds the airine carry-on weight limit,that is the end of this conversation. Some airlines have as low a limit as 11 lbs. and 15 lbs. is common.

If you meet weight requirement then you need to say what size pack you need.

It appears you understand the importance of torso length and that a 'waist belt' is not a real 'hip belt'. Few people do, so you are ahead of the crowd in that. Few 'travel packs' do much to allow for varying torso length. One you could look at is the Osprey Farpoint 40. http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/produc...ng/farpoint_40
Thank you for your responses.

I'm not worried about the weight as I'm flying CX F and I'm thinking they will be more forgiving. As to size, I think I would like something between 25L and 40L. This is a carry-on -- the bulk of my clothes and dive gear will be in the big dive duffel. I'm just squeamish about checking my tech & camera gear. I've found some camera inserts that I can put in any pack I buy to pad my camera gear, so a dedicated camera backpack is not essential. A dedicated laptop sleeve would be nice for easy access at checkpoints.

I'm going to check out the Osprey noted above.

Last edited by Sosiouxme; Nov 3, 2014 at 6:44 pm Reason: because I jumped the gun
Old Nov 5, 2014, 8:22 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
We don't ever check our tech, regs or camera gear.

What type of dive duffel do you have? Is it possible to piggyback the camera gear bag on it for ease of traveling via public transit? or maybe temporarily place the reg bag and camera bag inside for that part of the journey?

Our luggage of choice is a plain hardsided 2-wheeled Samsonite F'lite 28" (not the spinner model). It doesn't have a frog on it that screams "$10K dive gear inside here!" It has plenty of room for one complete set of dive gear, wetsuits plus clothes in packing cubes. There is room for a smaller padded case for camera equipment too. We take the camera case out of the suitcase when we get to the airport and hand carry it on the plane. The hard case provides protection for our gear. For a boat bag, we bring a mesh dive backpack and a small drybag for towels, change of clothes and snacks. For tropical dive vacations we can fit 2 complete sets of gear plus wetsuits in this case if we do not add camera equipment. It's a bit snug, but it all fits. Earlier on, we made the mistake of going up to the 31" Samsonite F'lite that was perfect outbound for the both of us, but insanely heavy and overweight on the inbound because the gear was still wet.

Out of curiosity, which area will you be diving in?
Old Nov 5, 2014, 9:58 pm

LOVE my Minaal bag.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 11:45 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Flying CX in F, you will be fine without worrying about any weight restrictions and they are more generous with cabin bags. Ground crew doing the F check-in are always helpful.
Check out eBags's TLS Mother Lode Weekender (Convertible) Junior - it's about 18" instead of 22" in vertical backpack mode. I use a medium packing cube for a change of clothes & toiletry items and a slim cube for gadgets & cables, a 3rd sim cube for meds & other small gears - my 22" TLS is almost 5 years old & holding up nicely, except for 2 or 3 minor marks from normal wear & tears from travel.

Added comment - ground crews/FA would enforce strict rules if the flight is fully booked and generally applied to those booked in Y cabin. On the return flight from overseas to the US, expect a bit stricter rules of baggage - but as F passenger, highly unlikely they will give OP any trouble.

Last edited by Letitride3c; Nov 7, 2014 at 10:44 pm
Old Nov 7, 2014, 10:24 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by Sosiouxme
I'm not worried about the weight as I'm flying CX F and I'm thinking they will be more forgiving.
Cathay Pacific's carry-on limits are listed here:
http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_U...n-baggage.html
Old Nov 11, 2014, 3:09 pm

Expensive, but this will be the last backpack you will ever have to buy, as it has a lifetime warranty: http://www.goruck.com/en/gr0
Old Nov 15, 2014, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
I use this bag after someone else on here recommended it. I find it perfectly manageable. It is not small nor is it big. All with the additional "peace of mind" of some security features. http://www.pacsafe.com/venturesafe-2...el-pack-4.html
Old Nov 16, 2014, 7:54 am

eBag option

I use this for my tek stuff, my cpap device/accessories and clothes. Two sizes, regular and jr.

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/m...uctid=10317755
http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/t...uctid=10209114

Inexpensive, can test and return, life time guarantee.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 3:37 pm

There's a pretty decent selection of travel backpacks on Amazon. I'd take a look at a pretty good top 5 list here.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 12:20 am

Programs: UA Gold, United Presidential Plus, Hertz President's Club, Hyatt Platinum
Try GFThttp://http://www.booqbags.com/us/ba...a-flow/BF2-GFT
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:05 am

You should look at Eagle Creek. You should be able to locate a store locally. Another thought is to just go to your local REI and look.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.