Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Largest/cheapest checked baggage?

Old Oct 5, 2014, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Will be moving soon and need a couple bags that can handle 70lbs and not fall apart during the one move. I see rolling duffel bags as a good option, but lots of cheap ones seem to have rather poor review on quality even for one move. Any suggestions? Thank you.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I'd say the Eagle Creek No Matter What line might be what you're looking for, either the L (30") or XL (36") sized, though the latter might not be accepted depending on the airline and the agent. That said, they're $140-$150/each which is a bit high for a minimalist rolling duffle (sewn-in pull handle, not solid/retractable), but they should hold up and have a lifetime No Matter What warranty.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 4:37 am

I think Everlast would be best baggage to handle 70lbs weight.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chrism80
I think Everlast would be best baggage to handle 70lbs weight.
The boxing one?
Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:44 am

A relative came to the US on a shopping trip and bought a couple of REI-brand duffels on clearance and absolutely loaded them up, as goods here are much cheaper than at home (even when paying overweight charges and customs tax). I would expect them to last at least one flight.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
This.

But if you are willing to spend a bit more and get something that is guaranteed for life, you should look into this.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the ideas!
Old Oct 14, 2014, 3:15 am
Suspended

Programs: hotel shree ram dlx
thanks for the suggestion mates
Old Oct 17, 2014, 4:14 pm

+1 on Eagle Creek No Matter What duffles.

Bombproof and lifetime warranty. Great design and great price. Fold up for easy storage. I have one in their previous incarnation (before they switched to coated material).

Why not get the version without wheels and rent a cart at the airport. Bags will weigh less and cost less that way? You aren't going to be wheeling them around town, right?
Old Oct 17, 2014, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Have you looked at Balikbayan boxes which are super popular for homeward bound Filipinos. Low cost and durable!
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:05 am
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Biggest volume within 62" of dimensions would probably be something like these:

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/...w&gclsrc=aw.ds

http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/...20-Box?id=8495

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.