Wiki Posts
Search

Laptop backpack that opens like a suitcase

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2014, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Laptop backpack that opens like a suitcase

I'm searching around for a new laptop backpack, and I'm looking for something that can store a couple of days clothes, plus a 15" laptop, of which there are plenty of good options. But I'm after one which opens like a small suitcase, so laying with the shoulder straps face down, the top peels open to allow immediate access to all the contents, rather than needing to dig down like a standard backpack.

I thought I'd found what a wanted with B&R's clamshell design (I'm a big B&R fan), but the clamshell functionality isn't for ease of access, it's just to make security screening easier - which rarely works in my experience anyway.

Samsonite's TriForce backpack looks decent, but I'd like a bit more room for clothes. Tom Bihn's Tri-Star looks pretty good, though I'm unsure about how comfortable those shoulder straps would be, or am I just being a bit picky!?
Any thoughts greatly appreciated!
Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by estate
I'm searching around for a new laptop backpack, and I'm looking for something that can store a couple of days clothes, plus a 15" laptop, of which there are plenty of good options. But I'm after one which opens like a small suitcase, so laying with the shoulder straps face down, the top peels open to allow immediate access to all the contents, rather than needing to dig down like a standard backpack.

I thought I'd found what a wanted with B&R's clamshell design (I'm a big B&R fan), but the clamshell functionality isn't for ease of access, it's just to make security screening easier - which rarely works in my experience anyway.

Samsonite's TriForce backpack looks decent, but I'd like a bit more room for clothes. Tom Bihn's Tri-Star looks pretty good, though I'm unsure about how comfortable those shoulder straps would be, or am I just being a bit picky!?
Any thoughts greatly appreciated!
I have a Tristar and like it a lot. Great bag.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:27 pm

how about one of these?

http://www.ellis-brigham.com/product...-duffel/204320

http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx...-O&language=EN

Last edited by wizy; Sep 21, 2014 at 8:42 pm
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Check the new Porter 46 by Osprey. The position of the laptop compartment didn't quite work for me (I'd had preferred to have it against my back, like Eagle Creek's DigiHauler) but it may work for people with smaller laptops/larger backs. It has no questions asked warranty, so that's pretty solid.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:59 am

The eBags Weekender holds a week's worth of clothing and has a separate laptop compartment. It's well organized and square at the top, so you don't lose any space. It's carry on sized, so you'd need to pair it with a personal bag if you're carrying two bags.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 4:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks all. The eBags one looks pretty good! It's a little less formal that I was hoping for, but ticks all the big boxes, thank you!
Old Sep 23, 2014, 5:05 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Second the ebags recommendation. I have the larger version which I'll be taking to Munich next week for the Oktoberfest, followed by a biz trip to London. It'll swallow the laptop, biz and casual clothes for a 5 day trip with ease.

The black is boring but more business like, if that's a concern.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: FB LT Plat, BA LTG, LH HON
I really like my Crumpler Jack Track Board. Very comfy and really well made
Old Sep 23, 2014, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Very happy owner of eBags (full sized) 22" Mother Lode TLS Weekender for 4 years - packing everything I need for 5 to 7+ days, including laptop without checking it (plus a vertical shoulder tote/messenger bag) - and not using the expansion sides. Word of caution - it can get heavy, I use airport's luggage cart when it's a long walk on arrival to the garage/rental car counter or curbside. Junior version is just shorter @ 19" and look chubby - use the external compression straps for a tigher/leaner package to avoid gate-checking on regional jets for shorter trips.

Another one worth looking is its related cousin - the eTech 2.0 Junior at 19" that's great for Euro/Asian carriers and still pack a lot within its space. Excellent customer service & lifetime warranty - especially given its price point & free/fast shipping. http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/e...uctid=10264762

Packing cubes helped in keeping things neat & organized within and not shifting around - folding & rolling would work too. Checkout the marketing videos by eBags.

Last edited by Letitride3c; Sep 24, 2014 at 9:07 am
Old Sep 24, 2014, 5:56 am

Programs: Budding BA Bronze, MPC Gold
Needed one exactly as you described myself recently for a laptop and a few clothes.

I got the Osprey Nebula 34 which has two main compartments which open fully suitcase style. Bit cheaper than the Samsonite version but it filled all my needs and the build quality is great as you'd expect from Osprey. The black version I have looks very smart as well.

Suitcase style opening pic:
http://cdn1.backcountrygear.com/medi...eevenebula.jpg
Old Sep 24, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I'm a big fan of the design of GoRuck bags. I use their GR2 on most of my longer (up to a week) trips. I've also used their GR1 for short 1-3 day trips in the past. This bag would be an excellent laptop bag and would definitely hold the amount of clothes you are looking for.

The laptop goes in the back compartment and rides right by your back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.