Search

Is Tumi Alpha Soft Luggage any good?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Global Entry
Is Tumi Alpha Soft Luggage any good?

Hello Everyone,

I'm thinking about buying Tumi Alpha @ carrying and 26" medium checked in softsided luggage. I was wondering if anyone here has purchased this luggage in the last 3 yrs and how is that piece of luggage holding up over the past few years. The reason why I'm asking this question is because sometimes companies change the way make their items with lesser quality materials. I know that this brand has 5 year warranty. I was just wondering if anyone here has any experience with this brand. I also asked about Briggs and Riley and the sales associate wouldn't recommend them because of the casing for the handle was outside of the luggage and he stated that it would be just a matter of time when that casing will be damaged.

Thank you.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 4:39 pm

I've purchased both in the past couple of years and they've held up fine. The feedback on the B&R is is bull. It's solid and covered under lifetime warranty if anything does happen. I prefer the Tumi styling but head to head I'd probably prefer the B&R for the warranty.

FT is probably a better source for advice. Salespeople may be commissioned differently by brand or have sales awards so take it with a grain of salt.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by ne52
I've purchased both in the past couple of years and they've held up fine.
I also have both brands that I use. A giant B&R duffel, and a 22" Tumi Alpha. I've been living out of the two of them for 2 months now. Previously, they each had about a year of hard use. I'm pleased with both-but my next bag purchases will go to B&R.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Global Entry
Originally Posted by ne52
I've purchased both in the past couple of years and they've held up fine. The feedback on the B&R is is bull. It's solid and covered under lifetime warranty if anything does happen. I prefer the Tumi styling but head to head I'd probably prefer the B&R for the warranty.

FT is probably a better source for advice. Salespeople may be commissioned differently by brand or have sales awards so take it with a grain of salt.
Thank you. The SA also recommended the Rimowa Carry Salsa Deluxe. But I'll take what he said with a grain of salt.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
B&R handle outside = more room to pack on inside. I love their products and their no questions asked warranty.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Cargojon
B&R handle outside = more room to pack on inside.
That depends on how strict the airlines are about measuring the bags.

Mounting the handle outside of the case expands the depth of the bag without adding to the volume of the case. Putting the handles inside is more space efficient, so that all of the possible volume can be used but you no longer have a flat bottom.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.