Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Knee Defender Gadget

Knee Defender Gadget

Old Sep 5, 2014, 5:54 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Gang,

Almost every thread on the Knee Defender gets closed because members get into personal attacks. I am going to leave thread open for now but be per warned that personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Now, back to your regular programming!
Old Sep 5, 2014, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by happymom2008
Try garbonza beans...they're quicker!
Thing is, we're allowed to make full use of the things we purchase.

Get a $500 rolling carry on, you're allowed to use every square inch of interior space.

Get a pair of shoes, adjust the laces to your liking.

Get a Big Mac, you're allowed to eat every last sesame seed.

Get a coach plane fare, you're allowed to utilize the allowable space.

In my life I've never heard of any ethical or moral issue in keeping an already-cramped seat that you pay top dollar for in a compromised position. In fact, I make certain flights on certain airlines just to get a fraction more legroom or seat recline, I'm not giving that up, I paid for it, it's owed to me.

If someone doesn't fit in the seat they paid for, well, get another seat. It's not the responsibility of others to make up for their short sightedness. Lots of seats, lots of classes, pick one that fits your body properly, problem solved.

BJ
Old Sep 6, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
There is really no right or wrong in this debate. Yes, the seat buyer should expect to be able to recline if they want. Unfortunately, that comes at the expense of the person behind them, who should be able to expect to fly without someone's head in their lap.

It's the airlines that cause these problems, not the passengers.

I thought the funniest response I saw to all of this debate was the flyer who pointed out that the knee defender was not necessary. Just open the air vent above you full blast and point it at the head of the person violating your space! :-)
Old Sep 6, 2014, 6:59 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang
There is really no right or wrong in this debate. Yes, the seat buyer should expect to be able to recline if they want. Unfortunately, that comes at the expense of the person behind them, who should be able to expect to fly without someone's head in their lap.
By buying a coach ticket you should already know what to expect. In that sense, there is absolutely a right. One expects to be reclined into by the bloke in front.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 9:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CitizenWorld
By buying a coach ticket you should already know what to expect. In that sense, there is absolutely a right. One expects to be reclined into by the bloke in front.
+1

Further, everyone on the place has the option to recline as well. Its a level playing field. However, when someone is self interested enough to use a 'knee defender', they value their space/time/experience over others. To argue otherwise is simply illogical. Don't stop someone from sleeping or relaxing due to whatever TPS report you want to finish.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 6:14 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Platinum
And now, Ryanair customers will be tempted to use the gadget: http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/0...0H20NB20140907
Old Sep 7, 2014, 9:54 pm
HMO

Originally Posted by docmoney
And now, Ryanair customers will be tempted to use the gadget: http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/0...0H20NB20140907
For this seat density, I believe they'll go with fixed seats, like these Recaro ones.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 12:56 am

On a personal note, I always tell the person behind me each time I need to recline my seat. It's the decent thing to do, since you're both traveling and need to go somewhere, might as well be pleasant travelers as they say.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 6:37 am
HMO

Originally Posted by fericks
On a personal note, I always tell the person behind me each time I need to recline my seat. It's the decent thing to do, since you're both traveling and need to go somewhere, might as well be pleasant travelers as they say.
If the pax demands (ok, asks) you to do not recline, what would you do?

And Fericks, welcome to FT! ^
Old Sep 8, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fericks
I never tell the person behind me, but I always do make it a point to look behind me to see how the person is positioned and then do a very slow recline. Unless it's early morning or late night/overnight, I generally don't recline more than halfway. Never had any issues, other than that weird passive-aggressive mumbler who, when I asked if everything was ok, replied in a chipper happy tone that she was fine before going back to cursing me under her breath.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 4:07 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang
Originally Posted by CitizenWorld
I have travelled many thousands of miles in coach/economy, mostly on long, international flights.
I have never had anyone else's head in my lap, even when the passenger in front of me reclines to the fullest extent. Frankly, I think the "head in the lap" is a gross exaggeration.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 4:18 pm

Maybe you fly on better airlines that provide more space on international flights?

I flew on a Gulf Air flight once where I didn't have enough space to read a newspaper or put down my tray table when the person in front of me reclined. The flight attendant made him put his seat up at meal time so that I could eat, but he reclined again as soon as the trays were collected. He was close enough that I could have given him a scalp massage without leaning forward...
Old Sep 8, 2014, 6:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Megn
Maybe you fly on better airlines that provide more space on international flights?

I flew on a Gulf Air flight once where I didn't have enough space to read a newspaper or put down my tray table when the person in front of me reclined. The flight attendant made him put his seat up at meal time so that I could eat, but he reclined again as soon as the trays were collected. He was close enough that I could have given him a scalp massage without leaning forward...
Seatguru says the seats are essentially the same in economy on Delta and Gulf Air? In fact, the Gulf Air planes are a bit roomier on the whole, given Seatguru has the right answer. For example-

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Gul...irbus_A320.php
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Del...irbus_A320.php

Maybe you flew on them before a searing reconfiguration of some sort. But if you have to remember back to a nonexistent configuration on an extremely small airline (they have about 30 planes) to think of a horrible experience in coach, then maybe its not so bad after all? And if it is, then maybe people should just buy a nicer class and not make someone else's experience worse?
Old Sep 9, 2014, 5:34 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by celle
I have travelled many thousands of miles in coach/economy, mostly on long, international flights.
I have never had anyone else's head in my lap, even when the passenger in front of me reclines to the fullest extent. Frankly, I think the "head in the lap" is a gross exaggeration.
Will not disagree. I've never had an issue with flying coach, anything better really is just a luxury.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 5:15 am

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Originally Posted by Megn

On all the airlines I fly - NZ, SQ, EK, QF, TG - it is standard practice for the flight attendants to ask passengers to put their seat up during meal service, so that the passenger behind can eat his/her meal. Nothing new there!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.