Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Under seat rolling tote advice

Old Aug 16, 2014, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

I'm looking for a rolling tote that is sized to fit a personal item to replace my wife's purse on an upcoming trip. I'm taking my Red Oxx Gator and she prefers something with wheels.

I've looked at the TravelPro Crew 9 rolling tote and the Samsonite Maxlite 3 rolling tote but both are around 14x14x9 which is too large for a personal item according to United's sizers.

Any advice? I prefer it be less than $125 as we don't fly enough (5-6 times annually) to warrant much more.

I searched and searched but never found any threads that answer the personal item sizer question about rolling bags.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Avis Chairman, Four Seasons Elite, HA Pualani Gold
Just bought the B&R U116 which is billed as an under seat bag but there is some debate on that. I haven't used it yet. The price point is a little high but if you can find free shipping and no tax it's not so bad for a quality piece of luggage.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 9:26 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Bump. The 9x11x18 seems impossible to find a rolling bag. Everything is 12.5" or more. Any luck with finding a small rolling bag?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:39 pm

i was about to say that you should do a search under pet carrier dimensions. However, I'm not sure they work out OK with the increased occurrences of video equipment under seats.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 11:08 pm

No, we know the dimensions, it's 9x11x18. I need a bag. With rolls. Cos I intend to use it as the rolling platform for my huge ... backpack most of the time
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:48 am

I have this one in black and I LOVE it. It fit perfectly under the seat on my trip from LAX-BOS last year. It also fits in the overhead if you prefer. http://www.beallsflorida.com/online/...ghtest-luggage
Old Mar 30, 2015, 2:33 pm

Those measurements are internal check http://www.amazon.com/IT-Luggage-Gen...m/B006CS5J0A/2 here.

Edit: http://www.amazon.com/Samsonite-Savo.../dp/B00GRLY14W claims 18 x 10 x 9 inches and it's Samsonite.

Last edited by chx1975; Mar 30, 2015 at 3:25 pm
Old Mar 30, 2015, 5:55 pm

I am no fan of rolling totes. You get a rather slim selection of bags and the wheel and handle system steals valuable space and adds weight.

If a tote sized bag is her preference then better to get the $30 Samsonite luggage trolley:http://www.amazon.com/Samsonite-Lugg.../dp/B004WYD9NK

Then she can have her choice with any bag that fits the size requirement and just carry it in that luggage trolley. Another advantage of that system is that it is also possible to squeeze in a duty free shopping bag in case she does any shopping at the airport. Once you get on board the plane just collapse it all and put the trolley in the overhead and put the bag under the seat in front of her.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by SkyForce6
I am no fan of rolling totes. You get a rather slim selection of bags and the wheel and handle system steals valuable space and adds weight.

If a tote sized bag is her preference then better to get the $30 Samsonite luggage trolley:http://www.amazon.com/Samsonite-Lugg.../dp/B004WYD9NK

Then she can have her choice with any bag that fits the size requirement and just carry it in that luggage trolley. Another advantage of that system is that it is also possible to squeeze in a duty free shopping bag in case she does any shopping at the airport. Once you get on board the plane just collapse it all and put the trolley in the overhead and put the bag under the seat in front of her.
You know, this is a great idea. I had never really considered a luggage trolley. I like my wheeled Delsey tote for travel but after 6 years it's looking really shabby. I have been looking for a replacement but nothing is quite right. I picked up a Lipault bag that meets all of my requirements, except for it's not having wheels. I like the option of being able to wheel my bag and to roll my coat into the handles of the bag while in the airport, wheeling along, etc.

How small are these trolleys when they're folded down? And how easily do they do so?
Old Apr 7, 2015, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
On luggage trolleys, if the FA sees it they mandate it goes under the seat in front of you. I guess they fall out of overhead bins and can injure.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by Dianne47
On luggage trolleys, if the FA sees it they mandate it goes under the seat in front of you. I guess they fall out of overhead bins and can injure.
Not if you have a bag from the airport duty free shop to put it in...
Old Apr 8, 2015, 8:42 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
Originally Posted by mcubed
I have this one in black and I LOVE it. It fit perfectly under the seat on my trip from LAX-BOS last year. It also fits in the overhead if you prefer. http://www.beallsflorida.com/online/...ghtest-luggage
+1 I have this 16" IT rollerbag in light blue too. It fits under every seat on every flight I have taken for a year, even regional jets. It can easily hold all my electronics, toiletries, change of clothes, plus more; easy to lift, doesn't need to go in overhead, and I can wheel a backpack or purse on top of it. I purchased mine though amazon.com, which had more available colors, including black and red. Highly recommended for anyone who can't carry a shoulder bag anymore and can't lift a rollerbag into the overhead.

Last edited by BarbiJKM; Apr 8, 2015 at 8:47 am
Old Apr 13, 2015, 9:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
I have this and love it. http://www.ebags.com/product/travelp...er-tote/221138

While it seems to have been replaced with a newer model, I have had it under the seat of every single plane United flies, including a Dash 8. Only problem I've encountered was when wife attempted to put it under the seat on the 1 seat side of an ERJ145. Didn't fit there due to the seat brackets. But everywhere else it's fit.

What I like most is that it has its own wheels, and also has a strap to piggypack on top of a larger bag.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:11 pm

I didn't try the Samsonite Savor 18" because it's not available in Canada. The Samsonite website has this to say: Overall Dimensions: 18.0" x 11.0" x 9.5" which according to customer support includes wheels and handles etc so it has a high chance of being OK. It's also 160 CAD by the time it gets to Canada.

Instead, I've gotten http://www.amazon.ca/American-Touris.../dp/B00CRTUFSE this 30 CAD bag. Cheap as dirt and the measurements are right for United and if you pack it so that the bag cross cut forms a triangle instead of a rectangle (pretty close to a square, in fact) then it quite probably would fit even the Air Canada stringy thin personal item sizer. You can do this because while the bottom (obviously) and the long sides have some structure the shorter sides have absolutely none. The Amazon product page has exact measurements in the question section. I am 6'3" and could roll it just OK -- it has two section extending surprisingly long handle -- but still I think I'll get an extender for it for comfort.

Last edited by chx1975; Apr 20, 2015 at 10:19 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.