Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying Rimowa in Berlin ...?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2014, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Buying Rimowa in Berlin ...?

I see there is a lot of really informative posts on buying Rimowa, but thought my question might be so straightforward, that a new post would get a quick answer straight up - apologies if this is repetitive for the long termers on flyertalk.

My wife and are coming to Europe in 4 weeks from Australia and are travelling around for a month. We are flying into Frankfurt and then catching a train same morning we arrive up to Berlin. I have seen the Rimowa stuff at Frankfurt airport on several trips through there, but reading some of the threads here, that may not be the best method. So thinking there might be a known outlet in Berlin worth a try.

Can anyone suggest where I can get a good price for a 29" Topas or even a similar size in the Classic? I have read that there is a great store in Munich but we are going there late in the trip, so would prefer to get it earlier in our travels and fill it with things we buy along the way.

Thanks for ant advice.

Richard
Old Aug 12, 2014, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
Welcome to FT.

The Munich store was probably named Hetzenecker. Not sure if they deliver. I guess you need to call them.

Rimowa has fixed prices and they don't allow the usual online outlets to give discounts on their stuff (e.g. Koffer Direkt or Alligator Lederwaren; I don't want to add their URLs but should be easy to google ;-)).

In Berlin I'd check the KaDeWe at Wittenbergplatz for the best selection. If you are at Alexanderplatz the Galeria Kaufhof has a small Rimowa section as well.

I am not a Rimowa guy so I cannot help you with a 'secret' store.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
Galeria Kaufhof appear to be a department store with shops in at least Munich, Berlin and Frankfurt. I bought mine at the Munich store where they had a separate small gallery of shops, one of which was a luggage shop with lots of choice.

It might be your best bet, same price as the airport also. Just be sure to buy in Germany if you are travelling around Europe as the prices are cheaper.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
In Berlin, you can get them in Galleria or KaDeWe. There's also a small Lufthansa World Shop in TXL. They had some discounts a couple of weeks I was there, particularly when buying a larger case and a carry on together.
I'm not familiar enough with the models or prices to know if those were good deals but you may want to give them a call.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. Is there any advantage to ordering from an online vendor and have them deliver it to our Berlin address - we have someone who could accept the delivery in advance of our arrival? Also in general, is it typical that within Germany, online will be better priced than bricks and mortar stores?

There were many threads in the past on FT where really competitive discounts were available - has Rimowa put a stop to this? I assume that irrespective of how I buy in Germany, I can reclaim the VAT upon leaving?

Thanks again for any further input and sorry about more questions.

Richard
Old Aug 12, 2014, 3:43 pm

Hi Richard -

LH Worldshop:
You can make your purchase from the LH Worldshop and have it delivered to you inside or outside of security at the airport. There is a € 30. extra fee for that service, on top of the purchase price, but it makes sense if you are on a schedule.

I would look into your options with LH Worldshop.

KAUFHOF:
I had a new XXL LH poly case a few months old damaged 100% un-repairable on a return leg from LAX - FRA a few years ago. We think now that this occurred in LAX, but LH took responsibility for it being our carrier.

LH was very professional in this instance as it was a LH Worldshop purchased case, and gave us the option of a replacement, or cash. We took the full amount in cash ( Always take a copy of your luggage receipts when travelling ), stored our belongings in Baggage Claim in a plastic bag supplied from LH, and as we had time, and took the airport tram into town (10 minutes).

At Kaufhof in City Centre, I was fortunate as they had an XXL alu Rimowa case available in stock, and on sale. Perfekt !

Back to FRA on the tram, repacked the new case, checked through the Airport inspection of the case for the VAT rebate, then checked the luggage through, and still had time for a dinner before the connection home to ZRH.

Something helpful to think about.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Swissaire.

Something else just came to mind though - I have read somewhere (I think?) that a refund on VAT is possible but only if the item is unused at the exit point. If I purchase this item in say either Frankfurt or Berlin, my next a stops are Prague, Vienna, Munich, Malta and finally Malpensa where we depart EU for home. I think I cannot claim until Malpensa - where I have read horror stories on the refund process - and at which point they may simply say "no" because we intended to put the item to use on our holiday.

Is my assessment about correct?

I have a stopover in BKK but whilst I know they do sell Rimowa there, not sure it will be competitive or German made - a bit if a quandary ...?
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:14 am

I would take the time to claim your VAT refund if I were flying outbound from Germany, anywhere in the EU. Technically, you have purchased German-made items, and are leaving Germany, carrying or checking said items with you.

I can confirm by experience that the desk at Milano-Malpensa is not always staffed. But on my third and last try on business in Italy, I did claim a refund there once with receipts that were 2.5 months old from Germany.

I ran out of time on a connection from Germany, but kept the receipts in my passport wallet. That flight leg from Milano-Malpensa was up to the UK, which for the time being at least, remains a member of the EU.

I believe that you have 3 months to do this anywhere exiting the EU.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: QR - plat (OWE), AI - Maharajah (* gold), Bonvoy - plat, HH - gold, Shangri La - jade, Sixt - plat
I have never had a problem collecting VAT refund at MXP. Infact, they seem too lazy to even verify the products being taken out. This is based on 5-6 VAT refunds over the past 5yrs.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 2:20 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by zambo
Thanks Swissaire.

Something else just came to mind though - I have read somewhere (I think?) that a refund on VAT is possible but only if the item is unused at the exit point. If I purchase this item in say either Frankfurt or Berlin, my next a stops are Prague, Vienna, Munich, Malta and finally Malpensa where we depart EU for home. I think I cannot claim until Malpensa - where I have read horror stories on the refund process - and at which point they may simply say "no" because we intended to put the item to use on our holiday.

Is my assessment about correct?

I have a stopover in BKK but whilst I know they do sell Rimowa there, not sure it will be competitive or German made - a bit if a quandary ...?

officially one should have the product unopened in original packaging.

i bought a watch and the salesperson advised i could just wear it on my way out.

did VAT refund in LJU and the (very nice) customs lady barely gave it a glance at it on my wrist before stamping
Old Aug 17, 2014, 1:25 pm
YKF

Thanks for making this thread. I'm going to Berlin in September and hoping to pick up a Topas. The ones I buy around here cost hundreds more even though they are made 15 minutes from my house and are stamped made in Canada

Has anyone ever done the "global blue" program at galleria to get the VAT back on a Rimowa. Last time I did it on some leica binoculars and a cuckoo clock.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 2:31 pm

Hi YKF-

The majority of FT members on the Rimowa threads do exactly that, and thus earn a healthy discount on the purchase price, and VAT rebate as well.

Essentially when you make your Rimowa, or LH Worldshop Rimowa purchase, ask for a duplicate copy of the sales receipt. Keep that always as back-up with your travel documents.

Also advise the sales representative that you will want to recover your VAT fees when you depart from Germany. They understand this process, and usually have the German Customs forms with them for that requirement.

Well prior to your departure, and during normal business hours, you must take the luggage and other items (if any) you are claiming to the airport for German Customs inspection with your documents and tickets for physical verification, stamp, and approval. You then take those forms to another booth to receive your rebate VAT funds, less service fees. If this is your first time doing this, allot at least one hour, or you may end up on in your track suit, the run around the airport.

I've seen it with tourists visiting Germany, in a panic and a sweat, trying to get it all done, and still make the flight. As all wise Scouts and flyers know, Be Prepared.

You then either check your new luggage, or carry it with you departing Germany. Note that shipping via DHL or FEDEX does not qualify, as you must take the items with you (technically) on your flight. Never mention that even in passing to the inspectors.

Poke around on all threads regarding Rimowa here on FT using the search bar, and you can read many years of more details on what is involved.

Good Luck !
Old Aug 18, 2014, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Nice selection at KaDeWe. My luggage loving friend was very tempted
Old Aug 18, 2014, 6:50 pm
YKF

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Nice selection at KaDeWe. My luggage loving friend was very tempted
Are they the same prices at KaDeWe then Galleria? KaDeWe does not have prices online but Galleria does
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:42 am

Generally, would the topas Lufthansa size be in stock in Berlin? Wondering if I should order online or wait until I'm in Berlin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.