Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Eagle Creek Load Warrior 22" - opinions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2014, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond

Seems a nice enough rolling bag for my needs but has anyone any experience of it?

Shame though that the black (which is the same colour as my laptop bag etc) doesn't look quite as nice as the blue.

Any opinions on how it compares to the Adventure model?

Last edited by xenole; Aug 9, 2014 at 6:21 am
Old Aug 9, 2014, 6:32 am

Bag looks nice and appears to be well made. I checked out the bag last year:and think it has better layout and much more practicasl than the other popular lightweight series competing in the category, Osprey's Ozone line.

Some: considerations to keep in mind:
1) frame not as strong as some heavier duty rolling bags (including presumably their Adventure line)-- not sure how well it will handle baggage checking if you choose to do so or are forced to do so
2) not sure of exact specifications. 22" size may not be legal carry on. Smartly Eagle Creek started offering a 20" size -- I would get that one if you don't want to risk being force to check
3) this gets Eagle Creek's lifetime warranty, which covers considerably less than the "no matter what" warranty that they offer on their Adventure, Tarmac and some other lines
4) I'm with you, not crazy about the black and red color scheme
Old Aug 11, 2014, 7:56 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
My main dislike (which is also true of similarly styled bags) is the position of the main carrying hand on the face of the bag. It theoretically is supposed to help prevent clothes wrinkling as much because it keeps the bag horizontal when carrying by prevent the clothes from being shifted around as much as in a traditional rolling suitcase design. Imagine carrying a cake and being willing to sacrifice one side of frosting for the use of wheels.

Personally, I think that the handle position is possibly the silliest placement for a main carrying handle as 1) It makes the bag feel heavier and increases stress on your wrists and elbows as you are attempting to carry it further away from your body & center of gravity 2) It increases your horizontal profile when attempting to navigate crowds if carrying by that handle 3) The face is most likely going to have something stacked on it such as another suitcase or a laptop bag when in transit so it's hard to get your hand there to actually use it to pull it out of the overhead or off the shelf on the airport shuttle 4) Unless you are strictly going from hired car to hotel, the bag will get tipped on its side during one of the stages of travel anyways so it's better to get a rolling duffel if you're going for that look.

Also the 22" profile measures closer to 23-24" if you include the wheels.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 8:00 pm

I have the black 22" Load Warrior and like it. The 22" measurement includes handle to bottom of wheels (measured several times with tape measure).

It is soft sided so if you're prone to overpacking, be careful that the sides and front do not bulge from overpacking. The jacket/helmet keeper on the top of the bag is really handy for keeping a coat or Vapur water bottle. Side pocket is largely ornamental for me except to carry a small patch kit from REI. I also don't use the front handle much as I purchased the bag for weight savings, not that particular carry orientation. It has the usual top and side handles and requisite-for-me bottom handle to help pull it out of overhead bins. The retractable handle is good but not rock solid. That's likely a weight and cost savings, though, and a trade off I'm willing to make.

Mine hasn't entered conditions I'd consider Adventure travel.
The fabric does get a little scuffed up when checked (black patch kit added after a checked trip came out with a small slice in fabric over the retractable handle) which I consider normal.

Here's some photos and other thoughts:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20552545-post32.html

Yup. Black, which I prefer over the blue.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I like the idea of the jacket / helmet keeper. Generally wrap a jacket around the handle but it tends to fall off / sleeves hang down and becomes a pain after a while having to constantly re-adjust it.

Some of the EC range such as the Adventure aren't available here in the UK. Amazon are fine for a lot of their range though. Maybe $30-40 cheaper in the US which isn't quite as bad as some luggage that can be $200+.

Some of my travel involves multiple flights with perhaps <1hr between them. Have found that checked bags don't always make this connection so carry-on is handy.
Sure at some point I would want to check it rather than drag it around an airport / subway etc.

Do have problems with never being able to fit things it my bags.
Even if I bring the bare minimum, I always end up struggling to fit everything!

Another option I've been looking at is the Briggs & Riley Baseline Commuter.
Sells for around Ł359 in the UK Vs. Ł280 at Amazon.com ($469).
Have actually seen these at Heathrow and do like the look of them.
Could be an option to use a cheap bag for my things when heading to the US and get Amazon to deliver one to my hotel before throwing the bag / keeping hold of it just in case. Ł80 / $125 saving at the very least.

Last edited by xenole; Aug 12, 2014 at 4:55 am
Old Dec 30, 2014, 6:02 pm

Programs: Independent
Has anyone been able to compare this to the adventure? Which one gives you more capacity in the main compartment?
Old Dec 31, 2014, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
If you don't mind yellow, the ochre color is on sale at Sierra Trading Post form $159 to $112 with today's coupon.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:43 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mbece
If you don't mind yellow, the ochre color is on sale at Sierra Trading Post form $159 to $112 with today's coupon.
If you don't mind orange or the extra 2lb, the EC Adventure 22" is on sale for $94 after the coupon. If that one were a 20" I'd probably go for it.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA*P / Nexus / Marriot*G/ Hertz Gold/HH*G
so thinking about getting this bag, anyone has anything extra to say ... good or bad?
Old Sep 5, 2015, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Patius
so thinking about getting this bag, anyone has anything extra to say ... good or bad?
Originally Posted by Patius
Hi, are you talking about EC Load Warrior 22"? Have you bought the bag yet?

I have an older version of EC Load Warrior 22" and have been quite happy about it. This one weighs 6.3 lbs.

The problem I have is that the length or the height. You have to add about almost an inch for the wheels. So it's about 23" And I'd like it to be lighter (new version is lighter).

I've been using it as a carry on and traveling internationally from USA to SEA and Europe and haven't have any problem about it being to long.

But I'm worried now that a friend commented that it looked big!

So I'm searching for a smaller and lighter (and cheaper! I am upset to have bought many expensive bags that are a little too long) carry on bag because now seems like people are talking about airlines making you put your carry on in their sizer thingy and someone was sent to check in the bag because it was 1/2" too long!

And this one looks interesting to me http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/ga...sale&color=619

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.