Wiki Posts
Search

Did Tumi raise prices?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Did Tumi raise prices?

Recently I was browsing a Tumi factory outlet and I noticed they're selling the Alpha for $800 discounted! (Said retail was $1000) Even checking online it seems this bag is going for $500. Not sure why the outlet is so expensive.

I remember I paid only $300 for mine in the same store a few years ago and the retail price wasn't really much higher than that.

I love my Rimowas and at $800 I might as well get another Topas.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 1:50 pm

Many models did recently increase in price.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
"Alpha" is a range, not a single product. Products within the range obviously vary in price.

Also, the "Alpha" range has recently been replaced by the "Alpha 2" range (for at least not products, maybe all), so Alpha has been on special/clearance at a number of locations for some time.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Yes, sorry yes I forgot Alpha is a range. I referring to the 29" suitcase in the Alpha series. I know they have an Alpha 2 line now; my folks just got a set. What I found weird was the original Alpha 29" was selling for $800, which is way more than I original paid for mine.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alphaod
Yes, sorry yes I forgot Alpha is a range. I referring to the 29" suitcase in the Alpha series. I know they have an Alpha 2 line now; my folks just got a set. What I found weird was the original Alpha 29" was selling for $800, which is way more than I original paid for mine.
29" suitcase? That is a pretty large piece - and most likely the old "fortnight" bag which retailed for $1045. I can't imagine an original 29" Alpha was ever on sale for $300 unless it fell off the back of a truck
Old Jul 27, 2014, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScottC
29" suitcase? That is a pretty large piece - and most likely the old "fortnight" bag which retailed for $1045. I can't imagine an original 29" Alpha was ever on sale for $300 unless it fell off the back of a truck
I think mine is called the "Tumi Alpha Large Packing Case." It's a semi-hardshell; ballistic nylon on the outside, four wheels, the top part is covered, whereas the bottom is only straps.

I remember only paying $300 for it from a Tumi outlet and it was on sale.

Definitely didn't fall off a truck since I just got warranty repair on it.

I guess perhaps I got lucky, but over the years I've bought leather goods, everything from the outlet cheaply.

Only recently I went again and they raised all the prices. Then I looked online and it looked like everything across the line was more expensive than before.

It looks like this, but without the front zipper pockets:
http://www.travelbags.nl/tumi-alpha-...ase-zwart.html
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by alphaod
Only recently I went again and they raised all the prices. Then I looked online and it looked like everything across the line was more expensive than before.
Yes, they have pretty much increased prices across the board over the last several years -- as have many other luxury goods sellers.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 3:18 pm

Check out the Alpha 2 briefcases. In general they raised prices by about 18%.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.