Wiki Posts
Search

Buying RIMOWA in Frankfurt and bring it back to Ontario, Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First

I just came from my Germany trip couple of weeks ago and been thinking hard on buying RIMOWA Salsa. I am going back again in September for about 1.5 weeks.

It seems like there are services in FRA that can process your VAT and of course they charge fees, has anyone done this?

http://www.frankfurt-airport.com/con...t_refunds.html

How easy or complicated is this whole process?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It's at the airport...if there is no queue it takes about five minutes and you are out of there with a good portion of your VAT back. No point though unless you're going to be spending EUR200+ really.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:32 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by LondonElite
It's at the airport...if there is no queue it takes about five minutes and you are out of there with a good portion of your VAT back. No point though unless you're going to be spending EUR200+ really.
If the OP is buying basically any Rimowa case, they are spending more than that.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Yes, that did occur to me as I was writing it!
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
If I buy it at the airport will is there a possibility that they will remove the VAT or they are not allowed to do that?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:03 pm
Suspended

The LH shop is landside.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 6:35 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by BRAISKI
If I buy it at the airport will is there a possibility that they will remove the VAT or they are not allowed to do that?
Just ask for the VAT forms and you can get your refund on the other side.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Remember to go to the VAT reclaim before checking in your luggage. The reclaim people will want to see the goods you're exporting.

As it says on the page you linked to, you should check in, get your bag tagged but not hand it over, take the tagged bag to VAT reclaim, then they will tell you what to do after that.

I see *so* many people at the VAT counter who have checked their luggage in so they are denied a VAT refund due to no proof of export. It's very difficult (but not impossible) to claim the VAT back after you've left the country.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:42 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The ins and outs of buying a Rimowa item in the LH Worldshop in FRA are debated extensively here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...cs-merged.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.