Reload this Page >

Freestanding backpack?

Freestanding backpack?

Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Gold DL, Silver UA, Hyatt Platinum
Freestanding backpack?

I figured if anyone had the answer to my question, it would be someone on FT

My favorite backpack of all time was this Jansport with the rubber base like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/JanSport-Rub...item3f3960c6b5

I have had it since 1997 and used it faithfully in almost all my travel. The key thing for me is that if I put it on the ground it would stand upright on its own, so would help me find things much easier.

Sadly, as a friend pointed out recently, it is not so old and faded that I need to move on

They don't make it anymore. I have checked everywhere online for a similar one to no avail.

Does anyone have any recommendation on a similar concept backpack that would have a reasonable number of pockets and that would be "freestanding"?

Any suggestions appreciated.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Gold DL, Silver UA, Hyatt Platinum
Freestanding backpack?

Nothing?
Old Jul 20, 2014, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by qmiro
Nothing?
If you don't mind spending the extra dough and don't mind the heavier weight and boxier style with no compression straps,etc., one of the business oriented backpacks from Tumi, Briggs & Riley and Victorinox might meet your needs. They are stiffer and boxier and therefore stand upright better.

These bags also tend to have a several distinct pockets and an organizer panel.

Different style than your Jansport but might meet your needs well.

Last edited by TravlnD; Jul 20, 2014 at 5:16 pm
Old Jul 20, 2014, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Fellow NY FT's, have you check your local Macy's lately - sounded like you aren't planning to spend/invest a fortune on a backpack ? Home Sale coming up again, starting this Wednesday (preview on Tuesday) - to see if there's a similar JanSport that match your needs, or perhaps High Sierra brand (own one that I used to take along for trips when I must take the big laptop, before switching to eBags.

Timbuk2 has a # of backpacks on sale, some of them are as low as $49 to $59 online + shipping (free @$75 or higher) at their site, depending on what you plan to carry - these are great prices and with excellent warranty/customer service (also search eBay for them, many with free shipping) "Jones" is 30L & $79 reg. priced & has compression straps.

Depending on what you carry & how it is packed, most backpack are freestanding - a big/heavy laptop will always tilt it over.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 9:47 pm

Programs: Platinum
Pricey, but will last a long time, a Tom Bihn Smart Alec: http://www.tombihn.com/backpacks/TB0103.html
Old Jul 21, 2014, 3:51 pm

Zuca advertises their business backpack (http://www.zuca.com/control/product/...oduct_id=10019) as standing even when fully loaded. I don't own one but I've seen it. It appears to be pretty rigid but did fit under the window seat of a 737.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 5:04 am

Programs: NZ, QF
I usually use this one when I am on an one-day trip with domestic flying.

http://www.marksandspencer.com/pure-...ck/p/p22285354

With my laptop, a couple of cables, a paper note book and some documents, it is sturdy and stands firm on the ground. It also looks much more stylish than most other rucksacks in market, which are either too dumb-looking or pupil-looking.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Everki Versa Premium is a freestanding bag

According to reviews on Amazon, the Tenba Roadie Executive backpack is freestanding. It also has a rubberized bottom for wet surfaces. I was deciding between this and the Everki, but went with the Everki (above).

If you want more affordable options, the Samsonite Xenon 2 also stands, according to Amazon reviews.

TravelPro Crew 9 also stands up, although it appears to be on clearance, so finding black may be difficult.

Last edited by gobluetwo; Jul 25, 2014 at 9:51 am
Old Jul 25, 2014, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Tumi Alpha 2 Business Class stands upright regardless of the loading (e.g., with or w/o a notebook for example in the T-Pass sleeve)
Old Jul 31, 2014, 2:06 pm

The Briggs & Riley BRX Excursion backpack stands up on its own. It's on sale for $104 at several retailers and appears to be an outgoing model.

http://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Riley-E...+excursion+brx

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.