Wiki Posts
Search

Which Briggs and Riley Bag?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2014, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation Which Briggs and Riley Bag?

Hey all-

Been lurking for a while, first time post here. I'm looking for carry-on bag and have narrowed brand down to Briggs and Riley based on forum reviews. Looking at their baseline series, now need help on which one to get! Travel mostly in US ~1x/month, but expect to take maybe 1 international trip a year as well. From what i've read it's better to get 2 wheel version rather than spinners? Expandable versions seems better than alternative, but would love to hear other people's take!

At the moment trying to decide between:
International U121CXW
http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...W&col=baseline

and Domestic U122CX
http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...Upright_U122CX

Will I lose much space by getting the international version so I know I can use this for any future international flights? I figured it'd be nice to have one bag to use for all, but don't want to give up too much space. I have a few smaller cheaper spares that would fit international spec if I needed as well. I also travel on this smaller CRJ-700 united plane where they seem to gate check just about every carry on bag, so wondering if the international one would fit on this plane and other smaller domestic planes so I wouldn't need to gate check.

Thanks for the help!
Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:55 am

I believe the international bag is a wide-body; it would require you to place it sideways when rolling down the aircraft aisle. When circumstances dictate the need for wheels, my choice is always the U122CX. I don't think you can beat it.....but it will always draw a pink-tag on CRJ's and EMB's.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I opened a thread on this very issue but I didn't receive any replies so I telephoned Briggs and Riley today. From the information I received there you won't lose space with the International because it can expand to bigger than the Domestic and therefore has a higher cubic capacity.

I have been umming and ahing whether to go for the Tumi Alpha 2 Continental Expandable or the U121CXW. In terms of dimensions I note the Tumi is 56x40.5x23cm vs 53.x39x22cm for the U121CXW. I still haven't made my mind up.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 4:42 pm

This international vs domestic labeling is inconsistent. I've seen some bags labeled international (eg, Briggs, Tumi) to be consistent with the stricter rules on non-US flights but have also seen others labeled international (eg, Arcteryx) to refer to the larger bins on international flights!
Old Jul 12, 2014, 1:32 am

im debating the same here
or even going with kirkland hybrid carryon so i can roll it sideways through the isle on the plane

so far for 2 wheels, U121CXW is the only one ive seen that fits exactly the dimensions dictated by DL, UA, AA

but having to gate check it on a CRJ or EMB would turn me off...
still debating here too

these airlines make it so hard to travel...
Old Jul 13, 2014, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation

double post

Last edited by inrapture; Jul 13, 2014 at 8:44 pm Reason: double post
Old Jul 13, 2014, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

I looked at both baseline and alpha 2 extensively at local luggage shop yesterday. Baseline was by far better bag. Loved the flat packing surface at base, expandable/compression feature, and better suiter compartment. Also equally important the olive color scheme was much classier and unique than the default and boring black on black of the alpha2. Add in the lifetime warranty and no comparison for me. Only thing I liked better on the Alpha 2 was the handle which was more sturdy than the b&r bag.

So will the wide body of the 121CXW prevent it from fitting in overhead spots the 122CX would fit in?

If not sounds like the packing space is not much different, and if it fits on more international flights it's the clear choice for carry on bag. I don't mind carrying it down the aisle if needed.

Last edited by inrapture; Jul 13, 2014 at 3:23 pm
Old Jul 13, 2014, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

double post

Last edited by inrapture; Jul 13, 2014 at 8:44 pm Reason: double post
Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Was about to pull the trigger on the international wide body expandable U121CXW, then was reading some other older threads on wide body bags which stated they wouldn't fit. Looking at measurement requirements of carry on bags for Delta, United, and American all have sizers for 14 x 9 x 22 inches. Using that the U121CXW would not fit as it's 21" x 15.5" x 8.5" per B&R site (width of 15.5 inches being problem). I would think that since it's only wider and not taller or more deep it shouldn't be an issue to actually fit this overhead as it just takes up more left right space if you put it wheels in. Problem is if they make you put in sizer like:
http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-trb...611-story.html then your SOL

The domestic carry on expandable U122CX however fits exactly at 22" x 14" x 9". Looks like this is one i'll be getting (and will have to use something else for international travel) unless you guys think differently.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:39 pm

I'm also looking at the B & R U122CX for domestic travel to fit the new DL/UA/AA sizers.

On the B & R web site for that bag there is a review by a customer (Mar 28 2014) who states the bag is actually 23.5" tall and does not fit the new sizers.

He also stated that when he called the B&R office they refused to actually measure the bag to confirm this.

In spite of the prices for B&R bags, I love their quality and lifetime warranty. I have a B&R roller brief case for several years now that has been fantastic and years after I bought I had to send it in for repair. The repair was quick with no questions asked.

I'm in a holding pattern after reading that review.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 10:20 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
AA's sizer at DFW measured to be 23".
Old Jul 14, 2014, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Cool

Originally Posted by RoughAir
I'm also looking at the B & R U122CX for domestic travel to fit the new DL/UA/AA sizers.

On the B & R web site for that bag there is a review by a customer (Mar 28 2014) who states the bag is actually 23.5" tall and does not fit the new sizers.

He also stated that when he called the B&R office they refused to actually measure the bag to confirm this.

In spite of the prices for B&R bags, I love their quality and lifetime warranty. I have a B&R roller brief case for several years now that has been fantastic and years after I bought I had to send it in for repair. The repair was quick with no questions asked.

I'm in a holding pattern after reading that review.
Yeah I saw that, but also saw multiple other reviews stating no problem.
They put pictures of their bags in united sizers on facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

I'll hopefully get mine in a few days, will try and update with confirmation/pics of it measured. Assuming it's right size will also get some of it in United sizer at flight at end of week.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 8:06 am

Did you buy it from B & R or a retail store?
Old Jul 18, 2014, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
I have a widebody and it didn't fit the UA sizer when I put it in. It's very close, and I've never been stopped with it, but YMMV...

Greg
Old Jul 18, 2014, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by inrapture
Yeah I saw that, but also saw multiple other reviews stating no problem.
They put pictures of their bags in united sizers on facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

I'll hopefully get mine in a few days, will try and update with confirmation/pics of it measured. Assuming it's right size will also get some of it in United sizer at flight at end of week.
As indicated here,

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...gage-size.html

...on #169 I posted my 122CX measured from the wheels on the floor to the top of the handle (retracted) is 22.4” high and width/depth exactly 14x9. Hope this helps with your decision re: UA. Mine passed at DIA when I had some time to try it in a UA sizer.

Last edited by AATrout; Jul 18, 2014 at 10:30 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.