Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please help me out choose a new carry-on suitcase and other travel products

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2014, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Please help me out choose a new carry-on suitcase and other travel products

So I currently have a Travelpro Crew 8 22 Inch Expandable Rollaboard Suiter that I'm looking to replace and I would like some recommendations on a replacement.

Here is my criteria:

*I'm looking for the maximum size should fit comfortably most widebody aircraft bins mostly the 777 since thats what I'm always on.

*Should have alot of compartments especially for an ultrabook

*Has to be durable. The handle on my current one is slightly broken.

*I don't want it tipping over all the time. My current one does.

*Not opposed to looking at other brands.

*Price should be reasonable. Should be the same as the Crew 8. I don't remember what I paid for it. But I'm willing to spend a bit more if I fins it to be better.

*Should I go for a spinner or not?

As for other travel products, I'm looking at a small umbrella for men that is good for regular use.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 8:55 pm

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
IMHO you want the Briggs & Riley carry on spinner (not the widebody version). It's a bit more expensive than the Travelpro line, but it's one of the very few bags that comes with a lifetime warranty including airline damage, so you don't have to worry about small stuff like broken handles. The outside compartment is perfect for an ultrabook or tablet.

In my experience, spinners are the best thing ever. You can put your briefcase on top and glide through the airport like a leaf on the wind. Usually the people who don't like them are the people who haven't tried one or can't afford a good one. The B&R will even glide over carpet, which is very uncommon for a spinner. And if you want to tow it behind you like a two-wheeler (useful for going over curbs, or up stairs) you can still do that.

Last edited by RevJim; Jul 8, 2014 at 9:05 pm Reason: Edit: looks like the widebody version doesn't have the outside compartment
Old Jul 9, 2014, 3:53 pm

The Crew line from Travelpro tipped over a lot. I think it has to do with the front feet which is at the 7/8th point of the depth (not at the tip of the bag). when you expand the darn bag the feet are now at the 5/8th point of the depth of the bag. then it easily tips over from there. Even the first generation Tumi Alpha's had the same problem. The Alpha 2s are now fixed in that regard.

If you can find a Ricardo Beverly Hills Bel Aire line it would be a good compromise between cost and quality.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:44 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
My Crew 9 20" is terrible about tipping, especially if using the front laptop compartment. I probably wouldn't buy another Crew-series bag because of it, and maybe not even another TravelPro.

If you can get past the need for a dedicated laptop pocket, this 20" Eagle Creek ES2 Tarmac bag is a real steal given the price and inclusion of their "No Matter What" warranty. I have the rolling-tote from the same line and the build-quality is top notch and it too was a steal when it was still in the $30-$50 price range, but recently jumped back up to $135. I'd grab the 20" before it jumps back up in price as well. If I hadn't received the Crew 9 as a gift this past Christmas, I'd probably jump on the EC for my 5+ night trips (the rolling tote with a laptop bag on top serves me for up to 4 nights without extra shoes).
Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:38 am

This is a very pro spinner and wheels forum. I do not intend to come across cavalier but in my opinion the ultimate road warrior gets rid of wheels altogether. This saves weight, gives you more packing room and helps you to be more mobile for those stairs, escalators, curbs and cobblestone streets.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by 1holegrouper
This is a very pro spinner and wheels forum. I do not intend to come across cavalier but in my opinion the ultimate road warrior gets rid of wheels altogether. This saves weight, gives you more packing room and helps you to be more mobile for those stairs, escalators, curbs and cobblestone streets.
I almost always travel in a sport coat. The few times I've tried traveling with a backpack or shoulder bag I've ended up with extremely wrinkled shoulders on my coat. As such, I greatly prefer a rolling-bag. To compensate for the added weight, I pack efficiently with cubes/folders and have moved down to a rolling-tote plus a small laptop bag riding on top. I can go 4 nights with this arrangement, wearing my sport coat and the same pair of jeans both going and coming.

While going wheelless is compelling and works for some, it's not for everyone for a variety of reasons. Mine is a pretty minor reason, but there are plenty of folks with back/knee problems or that otherwise can't cary the load of a shoulder bag.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by 1holegrouper
True for you. There are tradeoffs in every type of bag. For some, the wheels are always necessary. For some, although they don't need wheels for health conditions, such as a bad back or a bad shoulder, there are times when wheels are helpful. The tradeoff for wheels is a loss of space and a gain of weight not dedicated to packing. Amazingly, although a bag has wheels, it can also be lifted and carried, just like a bag without wheels. I have seen that people with wheeled and non-wheeled bags can sometimes be equally oblivious to other passengers as they manuever their bags through an airport or on an airplane--I've had my toes run over by spinners/rollaboards and my head hit by backpacks.

I say this as a person who generally does not use wheels in his travel. My preference is for Red Oxx products and to travel as light as possible. Some people cannot make certain sacrifices, so they take items I'd think were superfluous, thus increasing the weight of their stuff and perhaps making them more reliant on wheels on their luggage.

Each person should travel in the way that suits them best. I find discussions about "road warriors" miss the point of travel: there is no ultimate winner, and there can be lots of losers if they travel in a way that makes them less comfortable. And those who carry a little too much or who take bags that defeat that purpose tend to learn if they keep traveling.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
True for you. There are tradeoffs in every type of bag. For some, the wheels are always necessary. For some, although they don't need wheels for health conditions, such as a bad back or a bad shoulder, there are times when wheels are helpful. The tradeoff for wheels is a loss of space and a gain of weight not dedicated to packing. Amazingly, although a bag has wheels, it can also be lifted and carried, just like a bag without wheels. I have seen that people with wheeled and non-wheeled bags can sometimes be equally oblivious to other passengers as they manuever their bags through an airport or on an airplane--I've had my toes run over by spinners/rollaboards and my head hit by backpacks.

I say this as a person who generally does not use wheels in his travel. My preference is for Red Oxx products and to travel as light as possible. Some people cannot make certain sacrifices, so they take items I'd think were superfluous, thus increasing the weight of their stuff and perhaps making them more reliant on wheels on their luggage.

Each person should travel in the way that suits them best. I find discussions about "road warriors" miss the point of travel: there is no ultimate winner, and there can be lots of losers if they travel in a way that makes them less comfortable. And those who carry a little too much or who take bags that defeat that purpose tend to learn if they keep traveling.
Well said
Old Jul 12, 2014, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RevJim
IMHO you want the Briggs & Riley carry on spinner (not the widebody version). It's a bit more expensive than the Travelpro line, but it's one of the very few bags that comes with a lifetime warranty including airline damage, so you don't have to worry about small stuff like broken handles. The outside compartment is perfect for an ultrabook or tablet.

In my experience, spinners are the best thing ever. You can put your briefcase on top and glide through the airport like a leaf on the wind. Usually the people who don't like them are the people who haven't tried one or can't afford a good one. The B&R will even glide over carpet, which is very uncommon for a spinner. And if you want to tow it behind you like a two-wheeler (useful for going over curbs, or up stairs) you can still do that.
I took a look at that suitcase and someone mentioned that its too small. And is a hardshell suitcase really worth it over a regular one?
Old Jul 12, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
Originally Posted by maortega15
I took a look at that suitcase and someone mentioned that its too small. And is a hardshell suitcase really worth it over a regular one?
Spinners do give you a little less space than 2-wheelers. It's a tradeoff that I think is worthwhile for the added convenience.

I own both hard and soft shell suitcases, and I slightly prefer the soft ones, but it really doesn't matter. Hardshell is probably a requirement for spinner luggage so the body has enough stiffness to stand up straight while you are using 4 wheels.

Most spinner luggage uses a horrible clamshell design for the same reason (structural rigidity). Look here to see why clamshells suck. Typically if you want to fit your suitcase on a luggage rack and live out of it for a few days, you need to get a soft-sided suitcase that is NOT a clamshell.

Now go back and look at the B&R Torq. It's a hard-sided spinner bag, but the zipper is off center so you can put it on a luggage rack and just lift the lid. Nice design!
Old Jul 12, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
You might want to take a look at the Briggs & Riley Transcend 200 line. It's being replaced by a new Transcend line, so is on sale now for at least 20% off. Act quickly if you like the Transcend. I was in the upscale luggage store in Santa Fe the other day and the owner told me the new Transcend line will still have three colors - including a brighter crimson red, not the nice "Sunset" red in the current line.

Another brand you could investigate is ebags.com own line, the TLS. Their prices are reasonable considering the quality and features. The TLS are soft-side bags, their EXO line is hardside but holds less in the same dimension bag as the TLS.

I travel by car, train, ship, elephant, and camel - there isn't one perfect bag or set for me. I purchased a set of TravelPro Maxlite 2 last year and like it a lot, but it's missing some features I would like. The rolling tote has no attachment method to attach it to another bag and doesn't have tie-downs (an annoyance when the bag isn't full). There is no boarding tote (small duffel) in the Maxlite 2 line, and I'm finding I need that now that I'm mostly flying on bitty jets. I now wish I had sprung for the TPro Platinum Magna, but it was brand new when I needed to buy and had no discounts.

I do love the spinner wheels on the Maxlite 2, I'm now sold on spinners. I thought they were gimmicky when they first came out, but after traveling with the style I like it a lot.

One last thought - the airlines are downsizing their carry-on specs. Be sure whatever you select meets the criteria of the airline(s) you fly.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
Originally Posted by Dianne47
You might want to take a look at the Briggs & Riley Transcend 200 line. It's being replaced by a new Transcend line, so is on sale now for at least 20% off. Act quickly if you like the Transcend. I was in the upscale luggage store in Santa Fe the other day and the owner told me the new Transcend line will still have three colors - including a brighter crimson red, not the nice "Sunset" red in the current line.

Another brand you could investigate is ebags.com own line, the TLS. Their prices are reasonable considering the quality and features. The TLS are soft-side bags, their EXO line is hardside but holds less in the same dimension bag as the TLS.

I travel by car, train, ship, elephant, and camel - there isn't one perfect bag or set for me. I purchased a set of TravelPro Maxlite 2 last year and like it a lot, but it's missing some features I would like. The rolling tote has no attachment method to attach it to another bag and doesn't have tie-downs (an annoyance when the bag isn't full). There is no boarding tote (small duffel) in the Maxlite 2 line, and I'm finding I need that now that I'm mostly flying on bitty jets. I now wish I had sprung for the TPro Platinum Magna, but it was brand new when I needed to buy and had no discounts.

I do love the spinner wheels on the Maxlite 2, I'm now sold on spinners. I thought they were gimmicky when they first came out, but after traveling with the style I like it a lot.

One last thought - the airlines are downsizing their carry-on specs. Be sure whatever you select meets the criteria of the airline(s) you fly.
Grab a tape measurer as many manufacturers don't include wheels and handles in their dimensions.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Anyone recommend a soft sided carry-on with the specs I want?

I prefer it to be lightweight as well.

And can someone recommend a a small umbrella for men that is good for regular use?

Thanks!

Last edited by maortega15; Jul 15, 2014 at 3:47 pm Reason: additional info
Old Jul 15, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by envgeo
Grab a tape measurer as many manufacturers don't include wheels and handles in their dimensions.
TravelPro says to add 2" for their MaxLite3 spinners and a bit less than that for the MaxLite3 rollaboards.

I've got one of each coming today from Amazon --- will measure and see how close their numbers were to the hangtag measurements plus the wheel allowance.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

deleted

Last edited by maortega15; Jul 15, 2014 at 3:46 pm Reason: mistake on typing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.