Please help me out choose a new carry-on suitcase and other travel products

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please help me out choose a new carry-on suitcase and other travel products

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

So I am having hard time deciding what spinner to go for and I need it as soon as possible. I rarely see spinners with dedicated laptop compartments. Even if they come with one, most of them wouldn't fit my Dell Studio XPS 1645 laptop which is thick and really heavy (about 6 pounds and some change). I do plan to get an ultrabook in the future but at the moment, I need something that can fit my Dell for the time being. Any recommendations? If there is no way to lug the laptop in with the spinner, what would be the easiest way to lug that thing around?
Old Aug 4, 2014, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by maortega15
So I am having hard time deciding what spinner to go for and I need it as soon as possible. I rarely see spinners with dedicated laptop compartments. Even if they come with one, most of them wouldn't fit my Dell Studio XPS 1645 laptop which is thick and really heavy (about 6 pounds and some change). I do plan to get an ultrabook in the future but at the moment, I need something that can fit my Dell for the time being. Any recommendations? If there is no way to lug the laptop in with the spinner, what would be the easiest way to lug that thing around?
Anyone?
Old Aug 4, 2014, 9:09 pm

I've just spent a bunch of time trying to figure out the best options for business travel with a laptop and never checking a bag. Wanted easy-to-carry, checkpoint-friendly, and decent enough for use going to client sites once I arrive. Seemed like the stuff with the capacity was too big to take to an office an not business-like enough.
I was going to get the B&R U122CX, but I decided instead on the Eagle Creek Tarmac 22 (not AWD). Why? At first, I had discounted the Tarmac after seeing it because of the internal handle and the fact that the B&R had a flat bottom for better packing. But as I did more research, I ran across a packing video that showed putting things around the handle inside and getting very efficient space use. I also liked some of the features of the EC, like the coat holder and exterior cargo net. The EC was ~$130 cheaper, although the B&R price wasn't a deal-breaker for me.
Neither bag solved the laptop problem, though. I still needed something on the ground. It had to be able to ride on top of another bag via a luggage pass-through. Also needed to be a backpack but briefcase as well. And not too big. Also checkpoint-friendly. Did not want to have to remove the laptop from the bag at all. Also wanted something slim and elegant enough for client sites.
Didn't really find anything that fit. Spent a lot of time looking but just didn't find a one-bag solution that worked for all my needs. Almost bought about 10 different products but just wasn't quite willing to commit to them. So I expanded my options and just for kicks, looked at a different bag for each need.

EC just came out with the Convertabrief. I really liked this bag; usable for most of what I needed but a tad large and not quite elegant enough for some client sites. So I came up with another option. Added the Thule Gauntlet attache. Small, thin, good looking, good protection. Fits INSIDE the convertabrief. So my rig is going to be the Tarmac with the convertabrief on top of it, with the Thule packed inside one or the other if I'm going to be at a client where I'll need it. Pretty much fit all my needs/options.

And the best part: thanks to this site, I checked into partner purchasing. SWA showed the bags available at their partners. Got the EC bags from shoebuy.com, with 10 points@$. Plus they had a 20% special going through yesterday. So I got all 3 bags for just about the price of the B&R.

The most important thing I found was to not lock myself in to a particular paradigm. What I started thinking was definitely not what I ended up with. Look for what you're hoping for, but as you search, be open to other options. And chart out your real needs. Some of them might change as you find options.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Deleted, duplicate post.

Last edited by Letitride3c; Aug 5, 2014 at 12:27 pm
Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by Letitride3c
As end user, I like some of the Timbuk2 laptop bags and they have lifetime guarantees. The Command (TSA) Laptop Messenger Bag will open flat thru checkpoint, a medium might fit, check & measure your Dell if you are thinking of it - variety of color choices. http://www.timbuk2.com/command-tsa-f...268_color=2009 You will need a heavy duty HD Shoulder Strap Pad to help distribute its weight & other items like the power brick, etc. Watch for sales on their website & email alerts and specials.

STM Bags probably got something for your needs, check out their online sites - they tend to be slim & offer solid (foam) protection all around for laptops, but packing other extra items along isn't their strong point.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Letitride3c
As owner using them, I like some of the Timbuk2 laptop bags and they have lifetime guarantees. The Command (TSA) Laptop Messenger Bag will open flat thru checkpoint, a medium might fit, check & measure your Dell if you are thinking of it - variety of color choices. http://www.timbuk2.com/command-tsa-f...268_color=2009 You will need a heavy duty HD Shoulder Strap Pad to help distribute its weight & other items like the power brick, etc. Watch for sales on their website & email alerts and specials.

STM Bags probably got something for your needs, check out their online sites - they tend to be slim & offer solid (foam) protection all around for laptops, but packing other extra items along isn't their strong point.

I have become a huge fan of Timbuk2 bags. I have three different sizes of the classic messenger. For travel I typically take a large Timbuk2 plus a B&R rolling cabin bag (old design). I can sit the Timbuk2 on top of the roller or carry it.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

So I'm narrowing down my choices below:

-Tumi T-Tech Network

-Victorinox Avolve

-Briggs & Riley Baseline

What would be best overall? Has anyone use or has used any of the above?
Old Aug 8, 2014, 7:08 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
-Tumi T-Tech Network
-Victorinox Avolve
-Briggs & Riley Baseline
The Victorinox is lighter and has a good exterior pocket for laptop and is the largest
It will tip over easily due to the weight on one side of the spinner wheels if you put the laptop in the pocket
It is only 199
The B&R is very heavy and expensive but will last for a long time.
I would go with it or the Tumi
Tumi seems midway in both

If this is your first semi expensive bag, go with the Victorinox;
as you know what you want, you can be better next time -
since it is not and your bag tips over all the time, the B&R is best.
Cost wise this is best -
http://www.costco.com/Samsonite-HiLi...100102034.html
This set has lasted for 2-3 years of heavy use more than 1/mo intl trips

Last edited by ffI; Aug 8, 2014 at 7:28 pm
Old Aug 8, 2014, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ffI
The Victorinox is lighter and has a good exterior pocket for laptop and is the largest
It will tip over easily due to the weight on one side of the spinner wheels if you put the laptop in the pocket
It is only 199
The B&R is very heavy and expensive but will last for a long time.
I would go with it or the Tumi
Tumi seems midway in both

If this is your first semi expensive bag, go with the Victorinox;
as you know what you want, you can be better next time -
since it is not and your bag tips over all the time, the B&R is best.
Cost wise this is best -
http://www.costco.com/Samsonite-HiLi...100102034.html
This set has lasted for 2-3 years of heavy use more than 1/mo intl trips
I had a Travelpro Crew 8 22" upright and I hated the fact that it kept tipping over. Which would be the least likely to tip over?
Old Aug 9, 2014, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)

-Tumi T-Tech Network

-Victorinox Avolve

-Briggs & Riley Baseline

Not used any of the above but I've got some Tumi and B&R (both carry-on and hold luggage) and whilst I do like the Tumi I love the B&R slightly more. The B&R have the telescopic handle on the outside and this means you can lay clothes/items etc. flat in the case. I looked at a multitude of brands before I discovered someone actually made one with a flat base. Also the lifetime Simple as That® guarantee means it the bag is damaged, even if the airline did it - B&R will fix it for free. Tumi no longer offer this as and it was actually that which made me start considering other brands.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 8:25 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I have become a huge fan of Timbuk2 bags. I have three different sizes of the classic messenger. For travel I typically take a large Timbuk2 plus a B&R rolling cabin bag (old design). I can sit the Timbuk2 on top of the roller or carry it.
Left Lane Sports has a bunch of discontinued model/color Timbuk2 messenger bags for good prices right now if anyone wants to give the brand a lower risk tryout. Google around for a referral link, and you can get $10 off first purchase if you order from them directly instead of ordering from them via Amazon.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

So I finally settled on the Briggs & Riley U122SP Baseline Domestic Carry On Spinner. I was looking at the Briggs & Riley U121SPW International Carry On Wide Body Spinner, the Victorinox Avolve 22 and the Tumi T-Tech Network. The Briggs & Riley U121SPW had less volume than the Domestic counterpart. From what I've read with the Victorinox Avolve, it has a tendency to frequently tip over and the Tumi just didn't sseem to fit my needs. So I settled for the Briggs. I purchased it from an authorized dealer and I got about $100 USD off. I hope and I don't regret my purchase and it fits my needs. Has anyone used any of the above?

Also, I was wondering what that pocket in the back by handle is for. Anyone have an idea? Thanks.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
So I finally settled on the Briggs & Riley U122SP Baseline Domestic Carry On Spinner. I was looking at the Briggs & Riley U121SPW International Carry On Wide Body Spinner, the Victorinox Avolve 22 and the Tumi T-Tech Network. The Briggs & Riley U121SPW had less volume than the Domestic counterpart. From what I've read with the Victorinox Avolve, it has a tendency to frequently tip over and the Tumi just didn't sseem to fit my needs. So I settled for the Briggs. I purchased it from an authorized dealer and I got about $100 USD off. I hope and I don't regret my purchase and it fits my needs. Has anyone used any of the above?

Also, I was wondering what that pocket in the back by handle is for. Anyone have an idea? Thanks.
No specific purpose, but I use it to hold my keys, wallet, cellphone, and other small items while passing through security. Perfect size and easily accessible after I'm done.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Avis Chairman, Four Seasons Elite, HA Pualani Gold

I think you will be happy with your decision. B&R is great style, warranty, etc. FWIW the flat bottom shouldn't be a deal breaker either way. The bags with the interior handle just require some creative packing and may actually hold a little but more. I have read that the Baseline shape might fit in more OHC's. Others have indicated that the spinners don't fit overhead as well as the 2 wheelers.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ERtraveler
I think you will be happy with your decision. B&R is great style, warranty, etc. FWIW the flat bottom shouldn't be a deal breaker either way. The bags with the interior handle just require some creative packing and may actually hold a little but more. I have read that the Baseline shape might fit in more OHC's. Others have indicated that the spinners don't fit overhead as well as the 2 wheelers.
Thanks. By the looks of it, it looks quite nice. Just not expandable, but I think it will do.

Moving on, can anyone recommend an umbrella? I was looking at this umbrella. Not sure though if its good or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.