Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New form of travel insurance might ease the pain

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2014, 4:26 pm

Flight cancellation/trip interuption

I am going to check into this.

Normally I do not worry about travel insurance. But, I am booking a trip for the fall. I did some on Priceline, some I am using ff miles, etc. I am a little concerned about the ticket I booked on Priceline potentially being cancelled. As the trip with miles is separate from the booking I made on Priceline a cancellation could conceivably create an expensive mess.

So, I am thinking about flight insurance/trip interruption insurance. If something like this exists I would like coverage in the event I must buy a replacement ticket, or lose a hotel booking if a flight is cancelled by the airline for instance.

Are there such policies and who are some economical and straightforward companies issuing these policies?
Old Jun 2, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP (buh-bye!), HH Gold, SPG Gold, UM Go Blue
Well, I am putting this to the test right now. I bought a $25 policy a week or so ago for a flight I am taking starting today. The plane I am sitting on is going to arrive into PHX 5 minutes before my connection departs. US has already booked me on a new flight for tomorrow morning and promised a hotel and dinner as well.

So far, it is not working as advertised on the website, which shows "Peter" getting regular updates about his flight on his smartphone. I haven't gotten squat, by email or text. I don't know how they track flights, but FlightAware clearly shows that the flight was scheduled to leave at 04:40PM EDT and instead left at 06:05PM EDT. The arrival was scheduled for 07:03PM MST and is now showing 07:45PM MST. Since my connecting flight leaves at 07:50PM MST it is fairly apparent that I will not make it.

Will the $500 appear at at 07:50PM MST when my flight takes off without me? I don't mind filing a claim, but I had the impression this would be automated because they proactively track the flights. I plan to wait until I have definitely missed the flight and file the claim, which looks very simple.

This is all one purchased ticket, by the way.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

that is 13 states. what a joke.

i wonder how they are going to handle flyertalkers, and if they even understood that flyertalkers / travel hackers exist to the degree they do..
Old Jun 2, 2014, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by Wollstonecraft
Well, I am putting this to the test right now. I bought a $25 policy a week or so ago for a flight I am taking starting today. The plane I am sitting on is going to arrive into PHX 5 minutes before my connection departs. US has already booked me on a new flight for tomorrow morning and promised a hotel and dinner as well.

So far, it is not working as advertised on the website, which shows "Peter" getting regular updates about his flight on his smartphone. I haven't gotten squat, by email or text. I don't know how they track flights, but FlightAware clearly shows that the flight was scheduled to leave at 04:40PM EDT and instead left at 06:05PM EDT. The arrival was scheduled for 07:03PM MST and is now showing 07:45PM MST. Since my connecting flight leaves at 07:50PM MST it is fairly apparent that I will not make it.

Will the $500 appear at at 07:50PM MST when my flight takes off without me? I don't mind filing a claim, but I had the impression this would be automated because they proactively track the flights. I plan to wait until I have definitely missed the flight and file the claim, which looks very simple.

This is all one purchased ticket, by the way.

Please keep us updated.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 7:54 am

Well, it is definitely not instantaneous. After I filed the claim (quick online) I received an email suggesting that I should have contacted their travel people for rebooking help (it was done very quickly by US anyway) and to send them copies of old and new boarding passes. I did this about 9 hours ago and have not heard from them since.

I wonder if the problem is that I had to input the flights myself. When I bought the policy, I put in my route (in this case, JFK-ANC) and a whole bunch of options came up, but not my specific flights on US, which were JFK-PHX-ANC. It was a legal routing that I was able to buy from US, but it was not in their automated system for some reason. But, they accepted my premium and a misconnect happened due to a US MX inbound to JFK, so it should qualify.

We'll see.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 9:20 am

Update: I received an email from BHTP and the payment to my PayPal account is on its way. I just checked my PayPal account and it is indeed there.

Not instantaneous, but pretty quick and painless. I will probably buy this again.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

good to hear, but maybe they are not including all flights? unpublished T&C?
Old Jun 4, 2014, 10:54 am

I hope more people post results...

I would like to see more people post their results with this program.

I like the idea of being able to purchase it up to 1 hour before departure. If its May, and the weather looks fine for my travel day, I might not take the gamble, but if its July and I'm flying through ATL with tight connections, and thunderstorms building in the pm, might take a shot.

from the web-site

"As long as the airport where you’re scheduled to depart from is open, and there’s no active weather warning in effect there, and it’s one hour or more before departure, you bet. If there’s an active weather warning and/or the airport is closed, you’re better off at home anyway."

So as long as MEM for example is open with no weather warnings, but ATL looks like it will be a mess, might be worthwhile.

I live chatted yesterday with someone with a couple of questions. Yes, tickets booked with FF miles are covered.

THis trip protection is only domestic, but you can buy it for domestic legs of an international itinerary.

Incredibly quick chat response.

My next trip is not until September, but I hope this thread stays active, and people post their experiences.

Last edited by stan1162; Jun 4, 2014 at 11:41 am
Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stan1162
THis trip protection is only domestic, but you can buy it for domestic legs of an international itinerary.
Useless for me, then. The only case I would be interested would be connecting through SFO on an international flight.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 11:16 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Mats
I listened to The Middle Seat podcast today, and then I visited the BHTP web site. The site's FAQ section is actually hilarious.
It is funny.

Of course, I had one question they didn't answer: What is defined as an "active weather warning." FAA? NWS?
Old Jun 6, 2014, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i look forward to seeing completecare and exactcare (maybe there is hope for a travel insurance offering that will cover all nonrefundable losses when one is prevented from 'consuming' travel they booked - i havent seen it so far)

https://www.bhtp.com/faq

Travel insurance is, well...travel insurance. It’s not always the most clearly-written stuff; sometimes that’s intentional. Because we’re not fans of obfuscation, we’ve tried to write our policies and other materials in simple, easy-to-understand language. Still, sometimes we have to say things that may seem obtuse or confusing.

no hot-air balloons

you’re better off at home anyway.

for now barter, bitcoin, and manual-labor-for-travel-insurance swaps are out.

unless you’re planning on spending your next vacation wing-walking

Otherwise, yeah, we’re identical

That and our charging cord; never forget the charger

How do I make a meringue?
We wish we could tell you. We’ve never succeeded.

Things like audits may also turn instant payments into almost-but-not-quite-instant payments

We’re trying hard to make our revolutionary travel-protection products available in all 50 states. New states are approved every week, so please check back soon...While you’re waiting, consider downloading a couple of books or Sudoku games on your phone. Sometimes we fill the time counting red-roller carry-on bags. Just don’t fall asleep and miss your flight.

I still haven’t found what I’m looking for.
Neither has U2
Old Jun 25, 2014, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
Well, I tried it out and found it fairly useless.

Specifically, if your first flight cancels (my return canceled TWICE), they don't consider you "missing" your connection. It doesn't matter if the airline can't book you until tomorrow, you get zero.

Only time they pay out is 1) if your flight is delayed by > 2 hours (you double your money), 2) You sit on the tarmac for > 2 hours (OK a lot more money - but rare) or 3) If you first flight is so late you miss your connection.

You get zip if you first or last or any of your flights is canceled. Even if delayed first. As long as they are canceled before departure, you get zip.

Say your first flight is delayed by >2 hours and then cancels, you get zip.

Insurance is like Vegas. They gota get more money than they pay out. And they get $25 for each trip and rarely pay it back out.

Billy

Last edited by Delta3MM; Jun 29, 2014 at 6:18 pm
Old Jul 8, 2014, 12:57 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Delta3MM
Well, I tried it out and found it fairly useless.

Specifically, if your first flight cancels (my return canceled TWICE), they don't consider you "missing" your connection. It doesn't matter if the airline can't book you until tomorrow, you get zero.

Only time they pay out is 1) if your flight is delayed by > 2 hours (you double your money), 2) You sit on the tarmac for > 2 hours (OK a lot more money - but rare) or 3) If you first flight is so late you miss your connection.

You get zip if you first or last or any of your flights is canceled. Even if delayed first. As long as they are canceled before departure, you get zip.

Say your first flight is delayed by >2 hours and then cancels, you get zip.

Insurance is like Vegas. They gota get more money than they pay out. And they get $25 for each trip and rarely pay it back out.

Billy
Here, here.

I had flights on a notoriously-late (historically) flight to ORD with a 40-minute layover scheduled at ORD. It canceled. But because of bad weather, my next flight out of ORD also canceled (I was already offloaded from this flight when it canceled like 8 hours later). They denied my claim of 'missed connection', citing that "there was no flight for me to connect to--you didn't have a missed connection, your flights were canceled".

IT'S A SCAM AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED. (And I own some BRK-B stock!)
Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Here, here.

I had flights on a notoriously-late (historically) flight to ORD with a 40-minute layover scheduled at ORD. It canceled. But because of bad weather, my next flight out of ORD also canceled (I was already offloaded from this flight when it canceled like 8 hours later). They denied my claim of 'missed connection', citing that "there was no flight for me to connect to--you didn't have a missed connection, your flights were canceled".

IT'S A SCAM AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED. (And I own some BRK-B stock!)
My wife's connection at JFK to ORF was canceled, and it was the only flight that day from JFK to ORF.

Somehow that didn't meet their definition of a "missed connection" even though she was re-routed JFK-DCA and then DCA-ORF; by my definition that's a missed connection.

So we had BHTP re-evaluate the case and there's a specific employee working on the case; usually when the specific claim evaluator calls my wife is busy and unable to talk. When we attempt to call this claims evaluator back, she's not there during the window of time she says she's working.

We've sent in all documentation via email, and it's like passing ships in the night in terms of trying to finalize the claim.

This is NOT a hassle-free experience as Berkshire Hathaway tries to make people believe!
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:48 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
I bought $200 a year of travel insurance from squaremouth.com
That got me April policy for 50-100k coverage for 200-386$
Note the 386 policy adds on a child (<18) for no charge.

I have done reasonably well through the years, but as my travels intensify ...
If I remember right Mutual of Omaha used to sell this in the past 14.95 at the airport.
I think that may also be owned by Berkshire, who knows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.