Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New form of travel insurance might ease the pain

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2014, 1:49 pm

Location: Michigan's West Coast and wherever my clients need me
Programs: Delta Diamond (2+M MQMs), Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
I started buying BHTP a few weeks ago and, sure enough, I had a couple of misconnects and a delayed bag. I am getting a lot of grief over claims, and they have begun to implement restrictions. The first big one is that no connections of 51 minutes or less are covered. They will happily take your premium but will not cover the missed connection, or any issues that you run into on the connecting flight. I assume that more restrictions are coming. This started out as a great product, but I will not pay the full premium for a fraction of the coverage. I do NOT recommend BHTP to anyone unless you have long connections.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 1:51 pm

Location: Michigan's West Coast and wherever my clients need me
Programs: Delta Diamond (2+M MQMs), Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
Agreed

Originally Posted by Max M
This is NOT a hassle-free experience as Berkshire Hathaway tries to make people believe!
I am sorry to hear about your bad experiences. Mine are similar: BHTP is NOT hassle free. Their claims are actually quite hassle-intensive.

Given their newly implemented restrictions, I will NOT buy their product any longer and I encourage people on this forum to follow suit and skip the headache.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 8:00 am

Programs: AA ex-EXP (buh-bye!), HH Gold, SPG Gold, UM Go Blue
I just went to buy this after previous purchases and noticed they have some very annoying new restrictions. I don't mind the $250 cap for misconnects, but now you can only have 2 flight segments per 24-hour period, i.e. they will only cover flights with one connection. Given the cascading nature of misconnects, this is pretty annoying.

I am going to look into annual travel insurance policies, instead of dripping money on this. Too bad, it had worked out for me in the past.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by artvandalay
Worth exploring, especially for international travelers.
Maybe their policy changed since you posted, but the website makes it clear that it's only for domestic travel.

Old Nov 13, 2014, 4:14 pm
iff

Originally Posted by ShopAround
Maybe their policy changed since you posted, but the website makes it clear that it's only for domestic travel.
Their flippant manner of saying so would be enough to keep me from buying their product for domestic travel, too.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:27 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Old Feb 28, 2015, 7:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Some thoughts on this...I was travelling through San Francisco a month or two back, and it was going to be one of those famous SFO storm days, which would almost guarantee a missed connection. When I put in my flights, it wouldn't sell the insurance because there was going to be a known weather event. Fair enough, it told me up front. Also wouldn't let me do a shorter than 51 minute connection.

Yesterday I bought the insurance for a two-legger out of Dallas. First leg ended up cancelling, couldn't get out for a couple of days so obviously I missed my connection. I'm filing the claim now, so we'll see what happens. The description of benefits specifically includes missing a connection as a result of a cancellation.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Follow up:

Followed both $50 Flight Delay and $250 Missed Connection claim. Within 24 hours the Flight Delay was denied and Missed Connection was approved. FD was denied as the flight was cancelled before departure time (about 90 minutes before departure). I have emailed them to clarify the policy language on that one and am waiting to hear back.

The $250 was sent to me by paypal within a day. Also it was easy to contact them by phone, chat on their website, and email (other than the one question I noted above, I've been waiting a couple days and just emailed them again).

Overall a good experience though.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 1:50 pm

Second follow up:

I contacted them three times over the course of a week about my follow-up inquiry without response, but today I finally got notice that the second claim was approved and I was paid the additional $50.

So not without its blips, but overall I would recommend the product in certain situations.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 2:45 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I gave them a second shot on a family trip to Hawaii last year. I did it for my wife and I primarily because of the outbound flight, but where we 'cashed in' was on the return...HNL-ORD had mechanical which led to a missed connection and we each collected $250, plus we got another $50 for the delay on that flight as well. $300+$300 in our PayPal account in a few days.

Fast forward to this week, I saw on Saturday that there was a mess headed for the midwest. I bought a policy just for myself for my return flight home, as well as an outbound flight I have for later in the month...

Both of my flights (into ORD, connection, then out of ORD) were canceled. The claim process was a little easier today. They've changed their payouts a bit, less $, but more things covered...I was approved for $150 + $150 for each of the canceled flights, and they said they money should be in my PayPal account soon! I now just wish I'd have bought for my wife and daughter as well!

Honestly, it seems like too easy money...I knew weather would be bad this past Monday...I was scheduled to fly right in the thick of it. But in the end, it served its purpose, we had a 3-segment reroute with an unplanned overnight in a 3rd city, 6 extra meals on the road, 2 rental cars and another missed flight that wasn't covered...It was a mess. So in the end, we basically broke even.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 9:17 am

travelinsurancereview.net

Originally Posted by Wollstonecraft
I just went to buy this after previous purchases and noticed they have some very annoying new restrictions. I don't mind the $250 cap for misconnects, but now you can only have 2 flight segments per 24-hour period, i.e. they will only cover flights with one connection. Given the cascading nature of misconnects, this is pretty annoying.

I am going to look into annual travel insurance policies, instead of dripping money on this. Too bad, it had worked out for me in the past.
=====================
Which provider has an annual travel insurance policy?

BHTP.com DOES NOT. Its all individual trip coverages. Their air coverage seems speculative--I cannot believe it would be sustainable.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 8:49 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Anyone actually have their system auto rebook you when flights delayed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.