Search

Travel-related clocks, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

I saw the Trintec clock at the Boeing store and bought it. Though Trintec manufactured (in Canada) a number of clocks that might appeal to travellers and pilots - mine looks like a standard analogue altimeter found on aircraft I used to fly on - it's got bright large numerals, an alarm and fluorescing minute and hours hands.

Unfortunately, when I got it home, inserted the battery and set it up,... only the second hand works. The hour is frozen at 3:55, and though that makes it right twice a day, it's useless to me.

My experience with Trintec and the presumed warranty is they have declined to even contact me after e-mailing them with all details from their website.

Save your money, avoid Trintec as it seems their quality control is not perefct and they seem not to stand behind their products. If you have suggestions for an alternative product, thanks!
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:58 pm

When I travel it is my Blackberry, iPhone or tablet -- or some combination of the three, depending on circumstances. No extra weight from a travel clock.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I had to go get mine - it's pretty small, made by Brookstone, with 12 / 24 hour settings, alarm and a thermometer (F or C). It's quite compact, uses a AAA battery, has a snooze and illumination feature, folds up into its stand like a clamshell - and I prefer leaving it in place (e.g. cruise, etc.) rather than my tablet, phone or the like.

Link.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
I stopped focusing on travel watches / alarms as my iPhone does all of that. Why carry an extra item?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 4:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by aktchi
I stopped focusing on travel watches / alarms as my iPhone does all of that. Why carry an extra item?
Yes, I typically have two phones and a tablet set as alarms. I do the same at home. I will add a wake up call from the hotel if traveling sometimes.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 5:47 am

I think travel clocks have become another victim of technology. I too use my android phone alarm every day. One less thing to pack and carry.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by NJTrucker
I think travel clocks have become another victim of technology. I too use my android phone alarm every day. One less thing to pack and carry.
Although I very much agree with this on the road, in the past month or so, I've found myself banishing all phones and tablets to a recharging station outside of my bedroom when I'm home. I now use a simple, non-illuminated travel clock I picked up about fifteen years ago in a hardware store in the Scottish Highlands. Very rudimentary (although it includes a thermometer), but the lack of light (as well as no disturbing notification signals) in my bedroom has really aided my sleep.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 4:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by NJTrucker
+1

As soon as phones became 'smart', my trusted Braun alarm clock stayed at home...
Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:36 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by JDiver
I had to go get mine - it's pretty small, made by Brookstone, with 12 / 24 hour settings, alarm and a thermometer (F or C). It's quite compact, uses a AAA battery, has a snooze and illumination feature, folds up into its stand like a clamshell
Mine is very similar though a bit wider instead of taller and is LL Bean model. Good little clock with easy to read backlit LED when given a touch plus 12/24 hour option, alarm with snooze and thermometer (F or C). I also rely on this clock rather than a mobile device which I use rarely if ever while travelling.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:07 pm

I rely on a standalone travel clock for important issues (meetings/appointments, travel days, needing to wake up earlier than a normal work day) when I won't trust my phone battery to survive the night. I plug it in to recharge at night, but a power outage would obviously mess things up, and wired alarm clock radios (often found in hotels) would also cease to operate or possibly lose the saved alarm settings.

I had a Casio small clock that hit all my demands: small size, simple alarm on/off button, analog face, single AA battery, and light up button. It eventually died of corrosion while living in a tropical environment for a few years, and I'm looking for a replacement. I'm having trouble finding one that meets my requirements for less than $30, so I might have to sacrifice a feature.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:29 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by klew97
I rely on a standalone travel clock for important issues (meetings/appointments, travel days, needing to wake up earlier than a normal work day) when I won't trust my phone battery to survive the night. I plug it in to recharge at night, but a power outage would obviously mess things up, and wired alarm clock radios (often found in hotels) would also cease to operate or possibly lose the saved alarm settings.

I had a Casio small clock that hit all my demands: small size, simple alarm on/off button, analog face, single AA battery, and light up button. It eventually died of corrosion while living in a tropical environment for a few years, and I'm looking for a replacement. I'm having trouble finding one that meets my requirements for less than $30, so I might have to sacrifice a feature.
I replaced my old one from Brookstone with this simple version. No tap-for-illumination and the luminous hands are useless but use it as a backup for the iPhone when getting up at 0400 in a hotel and don't want to rely on a wake-up call.
Casio TQ-140

I always have a small flashlight lilke this MAGLITE AAA LED [about $15 from B&H Photo, sometimes REI or on Amazon] or a headlamp on the nightstand anyway if for some reason tapping the iPhone screen for the time isn't convenient.

Last edited by AATrout; Apr 22, 2014 at 10:48 am
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:34 am

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
Personally I am a huge fan of projector clocks. Somehow, rolling over and trying to read a clock face sideways seems to involve enough mental effort to wake me up to a point where I find it hard to go back to sleep. However, opening my eyes just enough to read a time glowing on the ceiling doesn't. So for my last birthday I had the memsahib buy me a travel projector clock from Oregon Scientific that packs flat, has an easy timezone adjustment, and even sets itself by radio signal. http://eu.oregonscientific.com/cat-T...l#.U1aaFScaySM
Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:48 pm

I use a cheap (under 10 bucks) foldable travel clock. About the right size. I was traveling and smashed my alarm clock, so I had to buy it in a hurry. I use it at home as my regular alarm.

As for my iphone, I use it in addition to my clock. Especially if I stay in a hostel or sleep in my car.

CK
Old Apr 22, 2014, 8:23 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by IanFromHKG
Personally I am a huge fan of projector clocks. Somehow, rolling over and trying to read a clock face sideways seems to involve enough mental effort to wake me up to a point where I find it hard to go back to sleep. However, opening my eyes just enough to read a time glowing on the ceiling doesn't.
I had just the opposite as I stayed at a family member's house the night before a big trip we were all taking together and they had one of that kind of projector clock in the spare room and found trying to go to bed earlier than normal if kept me awake shining on the ceiling reminding me how late is was becoming and how early I'd have to get up. In the end it was a shorter night than I think it would've been without it but didn't know how to get up and disable the thing. Sorry but can't say I'm a fan.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:19 pm

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
Originally Posted by tcook052
I had just the opposite as I stayed at a family member's house the night before a big trip we were all taking together and they had one of that kind of projector clock in the spare room and found trying to go to bed earlier than normal if kept me awake shining on the ceiling reminding me how late is was becoming and how early I'd have to get up. In the end it was a shorter night than I think it would've been without it but didn't know how to get up and disable the thing. Sorry but can't say I'm a fan.
Er... Turn it on its back, or put a cloth over it???

To each their own, of course. I have never found projector clocks provide so much light that it disturbs me - in fact, as reflected light, I find it less disturbing than a bedside LED clock. YMMV

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.