Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestion for carry-on suiter?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2014, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G/EBD
Suggestion for carry-on suiter?

I'm looking for a new carry-on and I'd like it to be a nice suiter.
I understand that TravelPro is a good choice, unfortunately I live and travel in Europe and shouldn't have a 22", since max-size is 21,7" (55cm) here..
The TravelPro 21" is a spinner and I don't fancy 4 wheels.

I've seen the Victorinox TW20, and like it, but I've read that many people are experiencing problems with failing handles on them. (To be fair, some of the complaints are for the 22" one..)

I'd appreciate any experience/tips/suggestions.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 4:41 pm

+1 I need the same thing.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Lots of threads on here about the Gate8. I'm a fan.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 7:37 pm
Suspended

I have a Tumi tri-fold. It's excellent and is enough to also hold paperwork for a two-day trip.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 7:43 pm

Which Gate8 would you recommend, there seems to be a few options.

Does the Tumi-Trifold have storage for a laptop as well or am I on my own with that?

Someone also mentioned to me at work the Travelpro Crew 9

Can anyone talk to how the three of these stack up? I know there are threads for each of them, but I didn't easily find a comparison.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: United MM, United Club, Hilton, Starwood, Marriott
I just bought the Tumi Alpha 2 carry on garment bag. I have a Delsey upright with a built in suiter that I still plan on using when only a sport coat is required. I tried the various folding techniques and decided I needed something better when I have to bring a suit or two along. This thread was very helpful to me. I even ended up with the same briefcase

I also looked at the Briggs and Riley hybrid and almost went that direction. It was a bit wider and was worried it may not get by an overzealous gate agent.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:59 pm

Programs: United MM, United Club, Hilton, Starwood, Marriott
I just bought the Tumi Alpha 2 carry on garment bag. I have a Delsey upright with a built in suiter that I still plan on using when only a sport coat is required. I tried the various folding techniques and decided I needed something better when I have to bring a suit or two along.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 5:52 am
Suspended

The Tumi trifold has a large outer front pocket which will easily hold a laptop, but it may shuffle around a bit.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by MrMosby
Which Gate8 would you recommend, there seems to be a few options.

Does the Tumi-Trifold have storage for a laptop as well or am I on my own with that?

Someone also mentioned to me at work the Travelpro Crew 9

Can anyone talk to how the three of these stack up? I know there are threads for each of them, but I didn't easily find a comparison.
The Gate8 Trifold bag (review here) has capacity for a couple suits, trousers, shoes, toiletries, etc, plus a separate, removable laptop bag. It's guaranteed to comply with all European sized carry-on restrictions. I'm 6'4" with size 47 (13) shoes, and I can do a week on the road with it. It requires some creativity, but it's a really well thought out package.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, TK Black, AA dirt
Does it have to be wheeled? If not, look at the Lat56 RedEye - mine has been through at least 500,000km of travel, and I kept trying other bags (will try the Gate8 soon - was waiting for v2), including the RedOxx Airboss, with the end result being that my Lat56 is still better.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 2:26 pm

Thinking out of the box...

Get a Tom Bihn Aeronaut...
http://www.tombihn.com/PROD/TB0906.html

Then get the Eagle Creek garment sleeve...
http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packit-garment-sleeve/d/1327

The sleeve fits in the Aeronaut... I have both.
Old May 1, 2014, 11:09 am

http://youtu.be/eWz6aJPae7s This Youtube video shows you how to fold a suit jacket that results in an amazingly wrinkle free, compact way. Using this method frees you from the constraint of a traditional suiter bag. I actually use a Tom Bihn TriStar for most of my business travel and this folding method lets me take two suits (size 46 long) in that compact package. I use an Eagle Creek 18" folder for the suit pants, shirts and ties I need. Before I used this method I used a much larger bag and/or had more wrinkles.
Old May 1, 2014, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by OnTheRoad99
http://youtu.be/eWz6aJPae7s This Youtube video shows you how to fold a suit jacket that results in an amazingly wrinkle free, compact way. Using this method frees you from the constraint of a traditional suiter bag. I actually use a Tom Bihn TriStar for most of my business travel and this folding method lets me take two suits (size 46 long) in that compact package. I use an Eagle Creek 18" folder for the suit pants, shirts and ties I need. Before I used this method I used a much larger bag and/or had more wrinkles.
^^^

Totally second this. Since I've started folding my suit jackets this way, I've actually never again used the "suiter" insert in my TravelPro. This is less wrinkly and more space-saving.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.