Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Year With Rimowa Topas

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Review: First Year With Two Rimowa Topas Trolleys

Rimowa seems to be more and more popular these days and I thought I would share my experience. After 15+ years of faithful service it was finally time to retire the Tumi.

I purchased two Topas models: the cabin multiwheel (international size) and 30" Topas trolley. And after a year and a quarter worth of travel I have some mixed feelings about the bags.

The cabin multiwheel is my favorite but I definitely miss the suiter and the extra room of my Tumi carry on. I don't, however, miss having to turn it sidewise in overhead compartments and feel like a jerk while some poor soul has to check their bag.

As I always carry an extra personal item (backpack or briefcase) I don't miss the external pockets of the Tumi and after a year the case still looks beautiful even after checking it once with Air Canada. It really is a wonderful bag and the four wheels are a life changer.

The 30" trolley I regret a bit. I never have two trolleys at once so buying matching luggage was pointless. I am not the type that likes to check bags but I had some extended vacations and felt that I needed it. The first few times the case was checked it was heart breaking to see it on the carousel with new dents.

I got over caring about the dents BUT I am now always concerned that the bag will bust open when checked. I just don't trust the bag. It has never failed me but after a year seeing hinges get bent and the general shape of the bag change a bit, I am worried. When rolling the weight of the bag now seems to rest more on three wheels instead of an even 4 and while it hasn't materially affected the function of the bag it is annoying. It's like dining at an unstable table.

The other thing that I dislike is opening the bag. With even large Tumi trolleys I could open the bag on the luggage rack in a hotel room. This is not possible with the 30" trolley (it is possible with the cabin multiwheel but it's not optimal) because its contents are split 50/50 and the weight of the bag will push its self off the rack. So I leave the suitcase open on the floor.

I also worry about the bag being a target for theft as even dented, it looks expensive.

For those considering a large Topas I honestly don't believe it to be a practical choice if you fly commercial. This product was designed for an era of air travel that just doesn't exist for most people anymore. You wouldn't want a commercial airline to handle wood framed luggage and I think the same applies with aluminum it's going to get destroyed.

I am traveling to Japan next week and I am seriously considering buying another piece of checked luggage this weekend.

Thinking about a B&R or a Victorinox as the newer Tumi's I have seen look worse than my old ones. Is there a bag out there with four wheels that can match the quality of an old Tumi?

Also please let me know if I am off base about the Topas...I would love to save some money and trust it as much as a ballistic nylon bag.

Last edited by Riva; Apr 16, 2014 at 5:20 pm Reason: more informative title
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:30 am

I don't check bags but my wife does! She uses the Lipault brand, although the 25" and 28" are rollers not 4-wheelers. They often go on sale here: http://www.ruelala.com/event/product...1747/1/DEFAULT

She's had them for about 4 yrs now and checks them in on trans-pacific routes 2-3 times a year. So far, still in excellent condition.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

I forgot to mention that the Topas seems to be a TSA inspection magnet. I have never had anything stolen out of it but I can't say I like seeing their little inspection tag when I open the bag.

Originally Posted by dtsm
I don't check bags but my wife does! She uses the Lipault brand, although the 25" and 28" are rollers not 4-wheelers. They often go on sale here: http://www.ruelala.com/event/product...1747/1/DEFAULT

She's had them for about 4 yrs now and checks them in on trans-pacific routes 2-3 times a year. So far, still in excellent condition.
Thank you for the suggestion...it doesn't look like they have much structure though...would it be safe to pack electronics in them?
Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Riva
Thank you for the suggestion...it doesn't look like they have much structure though...would it be safe to pack electronics in them?
From damage or from theft? You're correct, they are extremely lightweight with durable material. We've never packed any electronics in any of our check-in bags, unless they were already boxed, such as gift items.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:21 pm

Thus far, in a Rimowa Silver Integral XXL 2-wheeled case, the following has been successfully checked from Switzerland to Brasil:

1.) 1 Bang & Olufsen Beosound 1 stereo. (220v)
2.) 1 28' LCD flatscreen, plus speakers (220v-PAL-M).
3.) 1 Gaggia Carezza coffee machine + grinder (220v)
4.) 6 B&O Beolab 2000 speakers (220v).
5.) Multiple Rösle cookware, utensils, and open kitchen mounting items.
6.) SCUBA, bluewater fishing, and Off-road / 4WD equipment.
7.) Various computers, B&O telephones, and cameras.

These items were packaged with additional foam and protection around them, and then placed inside the Rimowa XXL alu case. Especially the television and Beosound 1. The items were packed down as checked luggage in various flights, one way, over the past 15 years, using Varig, TAM, Lufthansa, and other carriers.

The general flight path was ZRH->FRA->GRU->FOR, with one diversion via ZRH->MIA->MAO->FOR. Over multiple flights and multiple carriers.

Please note that everything arrived intact. I think it can be done, with any manufacturers' luggage case, if one takes the time to pack and insulate the items appropriately inside. Ballistically might be a better term.

All item were declared, inspected and noted as "personal use items " ( Permanent resident visa, and not tourist ,which might be confiscated or taxed 230% ) and is still being used in vacation property there.

The MIA->MAO leg mentioned above resulted in the Rimowa checked case being offloaded by accident in MAO by TAM, and then delivered to us a week later in FOR on New Year's Eve. All was there, and nothing missing or damaged, a real credit to the PF and Alfandega (Customs) agencies in Brasil. Nonetheless, as free-divers, we still held our breath for one week until it finally arrived and was opened.

That Rimowa case with it's dents, and scratches is still going strong and being used, a real workhorse. It is pre TSA, and as a result does not have built-in TSA locks ( we use one of the thick nylon, wrap around bands with a single TSA lock on it, sold at most luggage stores ). And yes TSA did open and inspect, leaving a greeting card at MIA.

I hope that helpfully answers the question about electronics inside Rimowa alu luggage
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

I just got back from looking at 3 different luggage stores. I am totally lost. I didn't like the organization of the Briggs (which I thought was going to be the best). Didn't like the Victorinox Lexicon.

The two most compelling possible replacements for the 30" Topas are:
1) the new Tumi Alpha 26". It is easily the best organized bag I have seen and it is expandable.

2) 28" Rimowa Salsa Sports Trunk. I have never traveled with this style of bag but the shape is oddly compelling. It also comes in a matte grey which doesnt look flashing.

Anyone have opinions on these two bags? Am I nuts for wanting a replacement?
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Swissaire, that is quite an impressive list of fragile electronics. It's good to hear.

I occasionally find that it is difficult to completely pack my 30" Topas and I worry that by not filling it up I am hurting its chance of survival. Have you checked you aluminum pieces 60 % or 75% full?

Originally Posted by dtsm
From damage or from theft? You're correct, they are extremely lightweight with durable material. We've never packed any electronics in any of our check-in bags, unless they were already boxed, such as gift items.
From damage...I dont think there is much you can do to stop theft.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 2:44 am

Morgen Riva -

Fine name Riva: The Riva Aquarama remains one of my favourites !

To answer your questions:

1.) Packing items loose inside luggage may, or may not be good for the longevity of those items. I was specifically advised by a Siemens engineer to avoid problems by packing electronics such as computers, laptops, or even tablets so they did not bounce around from left side to the right side. " Slosh around, " if you will.

When we pack said items, we pad, package, and prevent them from moving around that way. Bubble wrap, foam wrap, injection foam padding ( I wrapped the flatscreen & later the B&O BS1 in thick visqueen plastic, and then sprayed injection insulation foam over all sides, followed by more plastic ) , and duct tape have worked well for us, secured inside the case further, behind the mesh dividers.

2.) Case packing empty, half full, or even 75 % full is a good question. It may actually cause problems for the luggage case itself. Our new LH XXL Polycarbonate case was not even 45 days old when it was found to be damaged at FRA. One hinge was torn out from the polycarbonate side wall. Did that happen leaving LAX, or arriving at FRA ? Who knows.

In hindsight, it is possible that we contributed to that damage, as our new case was not full, and thus lightweight. The conveyors and gates inside airports rely on some luggage weight to keep the luggage momentum moving, I'm informed. We were not empty, but not full.

LH refunded the case 100% on the spot, and that is how we then purchased our Silver Integral alu case mentioned above, taking the tram in town. (Always carry a copy of your luggage receipts when you fly ). And with enough time for dinner there, and to make the final connection to ZRH, we arrived home as planned, only minus our original case.

Since then we pack as full as we can, with everything secured tighly inside.

3,) Rimowa Sports Trunk: We call that a Reisen koffer, and I bought one new for sports equipment ( big 1.5 M free-diving fins, masks, etc.) for the marine environment. I wanted a large new Salsa case with 4 wheels, versus a 2-wheeler which tends to track. There is a photo of it here on FT, if you scroll up to Extras, then Photo Gallery, and page 16, under Panamera.

It is light, /c TSA locks, good handles everywhere, other Rimowa items can clip over the handles, and it is the colour you describe. There is only 1 mesh divider for this case, and a set of " X " straps, to allow, rather than restrict loading and packing.

I've used it for work materials and vacation items, and on return flights it holds my wife's carry-on cases, which keeping only her purse, she allows me to lug, I mean carry for her.

A Rimowa sales rep mentioned that the newer models have somewhat better mil spec wall thickness = stiffness. Nonetheless, I am happy with ours, it pack and unpacks a many things, and is easily cleaned inside and out, wheels included. I spray the inside with 70% mist of Isopropyl alcohol, before covering it and putting it away each trip.

Documents, a tablet, other electronics, and small change of clothes fit into a Rimowa Notebook case ( which is on the Panamera case in the photo), which slips over the top handle as one rolling unit, as it does with other Rimowa carry-on.

Between the Rimowa alu case and the Salsa Sports, I feel the alu case gives a slight edge on protection of contents, given our experience above. It may or may not be what you want or need, but yes, I would take a look and try one out at a Rimowa store.

I hope this is helpful.

Last edited by Swissaire; Apr 17, 2014 at 2:50 am
Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your help Swissaire. I decided that since I am generally a light packer it would make more sense to get a size between my 30" Topas and Topas cabin multiwheel IATA (22"?).

To find a new bag I brought my wonderful 22" American made Tumi trolley to compare it with luggage at Bloomingdales.

I narrowed it down to three bags: the Tumi Alpha 2, the Briggs Baseline and the Victorinox Lexicon.

Tumi Alpha 2 Short Trip Extendable 4 Wheel
Pros:
  • Excellent organization
  • Great looking
  • Strongest international presence
  • Nicest interior lining
  • Best Handle
  • Best expansion

Cons:
  • Very heavy (almost 16lbs)
  • Smallest zippers
  • Single wheel casters
  • At least double the price of the competition

Briggs & Riley Baseline Medium Expandable Spinner U125SPX
Pros:
  • Lifetime no questions asked warranty
  • Large high quality zippers
  • Lightest weight (10.1 lbs)
  • Nondescript looks

Cons:
  • Outside handle
  • Worst suiter
  • Flimsiest box structure
  • Fabric side handle
  • Smaller international service network

Victorinox Lexicon 24" Dual Caster
Pros:
  • Sturdiest feeling box
  • Large high quality zippers
  • Easiest to roll
  • 5 year no questions asked warranty
  • Subtle but attractive looks
  • High quality interior

Cons:
  • Lexicon product line is new and unproven
  • Least proven brand
  • Least comfortable handle
  • Smaller customer service network than Tumi

In my initial pass through I was pretty certain the Alpha 2 would be the bag for me but upon closer inspection in comparing it with the Vic and the Briggs, the zippers seemed to be the worst as did the stitching.

Ultimately, the Victorinox ended up being the most similar to my old Tumi, so that is what I went with.

I am no fabric expert at all but the Vic had the most similar ballistic nylon to my old Tumi. The Briggs I believe uses the biggest thread but I am not convinced that when woven it ends up being the heaviest/most durable material of the group.

As a side note the Victoinox Werk line had by far the lightest loosest feeling ballistic of the bags I looked at. The Lexicon definitely has an upgraded ballistic.
Old May 24, 2014, 1:37 am
Ory

Programs: Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by Riva
Rimowa seems to be more and more popular these days and I thought I would share my experience. After 15+ years of faithful service it was finally time to retire the Tumi.

I purchased two Topas models: the cabin multiwheel (international size) and 30" Topas trolley. And after a year and a quarter worth of travel I have some mixed feelings about the bags.

The cabin multiwheel is my favorite but I definitely miss the suiter and the extra room of my Tumi carry on. I don't, however, miss having to turn it sidewise in overhead compartments and feel like a jerk while some poor soul has to check their bag.

As I always carry an extra personal item (backpack or briefcase) I don't miss the external pockets of the Tumi and after a year the case still looks beautiful even after checking it once with Air Canada. It really is a wonderful bag and the four wheels are a life changer.

The 30" trolley I regret a bit. I never have two trolleys at once so buying matching luggage was pointless. I am not the type that likes to check bags but I had some extended vacations and felt that I needed it. The first few times the case was checked it was heart breaking to see it on the carousel with new dents.

I got over caring about the dents BUT I am now always concerned that the bag will bust open when checked. I just don't trust the bag. It has never failed me but after a year seeing hinges get bent and the general shape of the bag change a bit, I am worried. When rolling the weight of the bag now seems to rest more on three wheels instead of an even 4 and while it hasn't materially affected the function of the bag it is annoying. It's like dining at an unstable table.

The other thing that I dislike is opening the bag. With even large Tumi trolleys I could open the bag on the luggage rack in a hotel room. This is not possible with the 30" trolley (it is possible with the cabin multiwheel but it's not optimal) because its contents are split 50/50 and the weight of the bag will push its self off the rack. So I leave the suitcase open on the floor.

I also worry about the bag being a target for theft as even dented, it looks expensive.

For those considering a large Topas I honestly don't believe it to be a practical choice if you fly commercial. This product was designed for an era of air travel that just doesn't exist for most people anymore. You wouldn't want a commercial airline to handle wood framed luggage and I think the same applies with aluminum it's going to get destroyed.

I am traveling to Japan next week and I am seriously considering buying another piece of checked luggage this weekend.

Thinking about a B&R or a Victorinox as the newer Tumi's I have seen look worse than my old ones. Is there a bag out there with four wheels that can match the quality of an old Tumi?

Also please let me know if I am off base about the Topas...I would love to save some money and trust it as much as a ballistic nylon bag.
If you are looking for something sturdy, I'd recommend Lightware. I use it for it's design purpose, but it would be good for anything fragile, or even as an ordinary piece. It is heavy for the size, but practically unbreakable and very stealthy. Think of it as a flight case that looks like ordinary luggage.
Old May 25, 2014, 12:58 am

Hi Riva -

Being now 25.05.2014, have you made a selection as yet ?

" Strongest international presence " ? Product, material, marque or brand name, warranty, service repair stores ? Sorry, I'm not sure of your definition here.

Elsewhere:
My luggage cases are packed for warmer climes, and a little of the WC. The flights as expected are fully booked, and 130 % overpriced.

Mid June through July will be an interesting time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.