Wiki Posts
Search

Bag for Liquids

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2014, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Bag for Liquids

I usually bring my liquids on board in a clear plastic bag with a zipper that I bought from a travel store. They only last 3-5 trips before ripping, sometimes allowing any leaked liquids to get out and soil things. That said, I tend to stuff it pretty tightly. I'm not going to travel with a sandwich bag. Does anyone know of a good product with some durability?
Old Mar 23, 2014, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You can buy a box of 100 1-Quart baggies with ziplock for $1.50 at any grocery store. They too only last for 3-4 trips, but at less than 2 cents per, it's a non-issue.

The travel store stuff is a complete rip off.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
[QUOTE=Perche;22574276I'm not going to travel with a sandwich bag. Does anyone know of a good product with some durability?[/QUOTE]

I use a high quality "ziplock" quart bag. The usually last for about 3 months before I decided to change it out.

There are a number of folks here that swear by plastic quart size ziplock for a 3-1-1 toiletry bag.

I'd suggest that you give it a try. At a minimum you should keep one in your luggage the next time your bag fails.

You might look for a clear heavy plastic pencil case that I can only seem to find in the office supply stores around back to school time..

Good luck!

Maps
Old Mar 23, 2014, 4:09 pm

+1 on just using ziplocks. Get ones with an actual slider, not the ones you need to press together.

For added durability buy the freezer versions. They cost a little more (or fewer bags in the box) but they are quite a bit more durable.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by TravlnD
+1 on just using ziplocks. Get ones with an actual slider, not the ones you need to press together.

For added durability buy the freezer versions. They cost a little more (or fewer bags in the box) but they are quite a bit more durable.
^ In fact I travel with a few quart and gallon ziplocs in my luggage, they come in handy for all sorts of things.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 11:09 pm

Programs: Delta DM
I've been using the older version of this Timbuktu toiletry case without any issues with the TSA for the last couple years. The bag is super-durable since it' s an actual bag with a clear window on one side.

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/...el-bag/2298573

If I recall, you may need the Small size to fit the Quart size limitation imposed by the TSA, but like I said, they haven't questioned it once domestically or internationally in the last 200 flights. Check the dimensions before you order though just to be sure.

Ryan
Old Mar 24, 2014, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ryandelany
I've been using the older version of this Timbuktu toiletry case without any issues with the TSA for the last couple years. The bag is super-durable since it' s an actual bag with a clear window on one side.

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/...el-bag/2298573

If I recall, you may need the Small size to fit the Quart size limitation imposed by the TSA, but like I said, they haven't questioned it once domestically or internationally in the last 200 flights. Check the dimensions before you order though just to be sure.

Ryan
Thanks for the responses. I kind of feel that a sandwich bag is out of place. I spent the money to get a nice B&R roller, get Global Entry, and want to make things a little stylish. I feel a little sheepish pulling out a sandwich bag when I often see other travelers pulling out dedicated toiletry bags designed for flying. It's just that the two different types I have purchased don't seem to be very good. The Timbuktu bag certainly looks interesting and robust. It's only clear on one side. I thought the TSA or foreign security folks had problems with bags that weren't clear in all dimensions?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I got a quart sized toiletry bag from Target - it has held up for over a year. The vinyl is very thick, so it has never punctured and if something spills it always stays in the bag. I cannot find it on the website but it is in the travel section.

I had originally gotten the idea from my Aunt. Kate Spade used to carry some. I am too cheap to buy a liquids bag from there and checked Target on a whim. It turned out they stocked them.

The one I have is similar to this and had no containers: http://www.getabag.com/content-produ...r_liquids.html
Old Mar 24, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
Originally Posted by Perche
Thanks for the responses. I kind of feel that a sandwich bag is out of place. I spent the money to get a nice B&R roller, get Global Entry, and want to make things a little stylish. I feel a little sheepish pulling out a sandwich bag when I often see other travelers pulling out dedicated toiletry bags designed for flying. It's just that the two different types I have purchased don't seem to be very good. The Timbuktu bag certainly looks interesting and robust. It's only clear on one side. I thought the TSA or foreign security folks had problems with bags that weren't clear in all dimensions?
To each his own. A number of folks here (including me) use a B&R (or Tumi, Travelpro etc.) Never worried about my trusty ziplock.

Heres another option clear all around from REI. Not fancy but might work for you

http://www.rei.com/product/837264/?cm_mmc=cse_PLA-_-pla-_-product-_-8372640001&rei-3-1-1-air-travel-liquids-bag,-clear&preferredSku=8372640001&mr:trackingCode=3628 41B4-8EE5-E111-BA78-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adTyp e=pla&mr:ad=44272135840&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:f ilter=61471673560&msid=H5i7DPFb_dc|pcrid|442721358 40|&{copy:s_kwcid}#reviewsTab

What you should look into is why you aren't getting Precheck. Since Precheck I have had to remove my 3-1-1 bag from my B&R three only 3 in the past 78 flights.

Very few people have had the opportunity to see my ziplock since Precheck

Last edited by mapsgl; Mar 24, 2014 at 3:45 pm
Old Mar 24, 2014, 4:10 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Thanks for the responses. I kind of feel that a sandwich bag is out of place. I spent the money to get a nice B&R roller, get Global Entry, and want to make things a little stylish. I feel a little sheepish pulling out a sandwich bag ....
I put my liquids in a nice cosmetic bag and simply don't remove it from my suitcase. I also have odd amenity kit hand lotion and other stuff in suitcase pocket. 175,000 miles last year and never a problem. I carry an unused baggie in case some overzealous checker insists I comply, but that hasn't happened yet.

Get pre-check and your concerns will go away. Then you can also leave your shoes on which is much more stylish than padding through in bare/stocking feet
Old Mar 24, 2014, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, these are great suggestions. I am going to look into the Target and REI ones. The one that I had with a zipper seemed a little bigger though, as it had a flat bottom and flat sides (It was sort of square shaped). I could fit more in there than in a sandwich baggie. When the zipper one broke I had to use a baggy, and couldn't fit all of my stuff in there.

I do have pre-check, and it is fantastic. Most of my trips are international, and pre-check doesn't apply over there. I don't think that packing liquids in a suitcase would be worth the risk. Once you get pulled over for "enhanced security" at LHR you've lost 20-30 minutes. I would like a liquids bag that is not tapered towards the bottom and sides because that taper means a lot less space. But I'm going to give the Target and REI ones a look because I've probably been through 5-6 of the ones I get from the local travel store in just the past year. They come with the little bottles, all of which I have to throw away. And I usually return with it torn, ripped, and leaking.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: VX Silver, UA Silver, AA Gold
I'm cheap so I just grab 2 or 3 of the branded ziploc bags from SFO and IAD in the security line and keep a few in all my carryons. If you want something more durable or 'professional' than a ziploc bag, the Eagle Creek spector line is one I love. They are sorta pricey, but they are very durable and light. http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packit-sp...c/d/1146_c_213
Old Mar 24, 2014, 5:42 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Mon Dieu! As a Global Entry-holding B&R user, I'm going to have to pay more attention to whether the plebs who I'll never see again are looking down their noses at my generic(!) ziplock bags.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
I do have pre-check, and it is fantastic. Most of my trips are international, and pre-check doesn't apply over there. I don't think that packing liquids in a suitcase would be worth the risk. Once you get pulled over for "enhanced security" at LHR you've lost 20-30 minutes. I would like a liquids bag that is not tapered towards the bottom and sides because that taper means a lot less space. But I'm going to give the Target and REI ones a look because I've probably been through 5-6 of the ones I get from the local travel store in just the past year. They come with the little bottles, all of which I have to throw away. And I usually return with it torn, ripped, and leaking.
Exactly. Advanced screening is what are asking for and what you get with liquids buried in a bag at LHR even (maybe especially) in Fast Track. I’m using either a 1qt freezer bag or the Tom Binh 3D cube. Pricey but durable and it packs in a lot of stuff. I have it and electronics in the personal carry-on. After screening the 3-1-1 goes into the roller bag.

http://www.tombihn.com/organizer_pouches/TB0917.html
Old Mar 24, 2014, 7:40 pm

Real men don't use them liquid bags. They just grab them in their hands and practice curls while they walk through security.

I, on the other hand use ziplocs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.