Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Professional backpack

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2014, 9:46 pm

Programs: DL GM SPG National Emerald
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
I was intrigued by the title, 'professional backpack'.

As a long time backpacker (wilderness) I wondered just what a 'professional backpack' was. Once I had a look at the packs you listed I realized that your definition of backpacker differed from my own. LOL

Can't help you with a laptop bag but if you ever want an actual backpack suggestion, let me know. ;-)
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I was intrigued as well. It turns out that I only have amateur backpacks!
Ok, we get it, you guys are so elite. Now given the context here "professional" is referring to a classification of employment. Not that the bag is a primary tool of the trade.

You're welcome.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 8:58 pm

Fitting read for both sides of the fence.

http://www.realmenrealstyle.com/man-...onal-clothing/
Old Apr 1, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
http://zerohalliburton.com/products/...-backpack.html

Is a bag that works both as a backpack and briefcase and is presentable in either context in the boardroom.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:26 am

I want to add my pick to the excellent options in this thread. For many years i have been using various bags from booqbags.com . They look great, they are well designed and last a long time.

cheers.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: Presidential Airways High Value Target, Catfish Air Flare, Hootch Honors Gold
I use the urban operator bag (hatehateHATE that name) from Tactical Tailor.

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/urbanoperatorpack.aspx

It's basically indestructible. I suppose the black one (I have coyote brown) would blend in a corporate environment. I like the zippered compartment just for the laptop (fits up to a 17" laptop) plus the way it's organized is very useful.

Unlike many of the folks here I spend time in more spartan environments or on military or third world transport, and I need to focus on the practical and survivable. I have a Tom Bihn Checkpoint Flyer that I use for more corporatey gigs but yeah, the UrbanOp bag is the go to unkillable bag. It scoffs, scoffs I say at palletized luggage handling.

But the thing is, I doubt I've ever been at a meeting where I spent more than a second (if that) noticing anyone else bag. Soooo you want to spend a lot of money on one, that's certainly your choice. But don't expect me to notice, because I won't.

Now if you're wearing an IWC watch, then yes, we're going to have a conversation.

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents club
agreed

Originally Posted by ankur23
I want to add my pick to the excellent options in this thread. For many years i have been using various bags from booqbags.com . They look great, they are well designed and last a long time.

cheers.
These are excellent. Top of the line.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents club
I have been using Northface backpacks for about the last two years. In black, they are arguably as "professional" as any. I keep a Levenger bomber jacket leather folio in it and when I am very concerned about the image/look, I will only bring this in to meetings and leave my bag in the rental car.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I think backpacks, whether Tumi or North Face, are out of place in a business setting. Slung over one shoulder you look too casual, slung over both makes you look like a dork.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:49 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I think backpacks, whether Tumi or North Face, are out of place in a business setting. Slung over one shoulder you look too casual, slung over both makes you look like a dork.
Good thing I use B&R then...
Old Apr 19, 2014, 9:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
A guy who used to work for me always brought a backpack to work and nothing else. I asked him if he kept his workout stuff in the backpack, or his work files. He said both.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
I agree with everyone who thinks that it's hard to ever have a truly "professional" backpack. They're eminently practical, and perfectly acceptable in myriad workplaces, but they're never going to come off as professional as a traditional briefcase or even a high-quality messenger bag. If I have an important meeting, I'll take something nicer, but for everyday use and being thrown around on public transit in random corners of the developing world, you can't beat a backpack.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the Timbuk2 backpacks. I've had the Timbuk2 Uptown Laptop TSA-Friendly Backpack for about a year now, and it's basically indestructible. Holds my 15" MacBook Pro, my iPad mini, a good stack of files, and assorted wires and things with plenty of room to spare. I've even taken to throwing a few days worth of clothes in it and using it as my only luggage on one or two night trips. Looks reasonably respectable, too, and not so expensive that I feel bad beating on it.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: Platinum
During our recent trip to Tokyo, I noticed some of the younger business types with a convertible briefcase/backpack, like this one: http://www.yoshidakaban.com/product/...e=30&p_lisort=
Old Apr 19, 2014, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by frankmu
During our recent trip to Tokyo, noticed some of the younger business types with a convertible briefcase/backpack, like this one: http://www.yoshidakaban.com/product/...e=30&p_lisort=

Tumi had a bag somewhat like this a few years ago -- it was their iconic brief with hidden back pack straps (like Tom BIHN Tri -Star, Patagonia MLC, etc ). Probably not as comfortable as a normal backpack but in briefcase mode would not raise questions about professional appearance. Zero Haliburton recently introduced something similar. Looks great online but haven't seen in person:

http://zerohalliburton.com/products/...-backpack.html
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
I'd go for something like the Briggs & Riley Relay Convertible Brief as it is the only one I've seen that looks like a business bag when carried in hand, yet also doesn't look like you've got a briefcase strapped to your back when worn as a pack.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 3:44 am

http://www.tumi.com/product/index.js...uctId=12737598

I love this bag! It's been really great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.