Reload this Page >

New Patagonia MLC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Patagonia MLC

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2014, 3:39 pm

I just called and spoke with Patagonia's Customer Service group. It turns out the bag's dimensions are actually 22"x16"x9", not the 22"x14"x9" the name Maximum Legal Carry-On would lead you to believe. Unfortunate.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 4:29 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Platinum
Originally Posted by freecia
The Eagle Creek Adventure Weekender has pass through, backpack strap, removable shoulder strap option. My wishlist for the bag: move the zip so the center is a larger main compartment and reduce the weight.
http://shop.eaglecreek.com/ec-advent...g/d/1200_c_111
This one looks great!
Old Feb 15, 2014, 2:55 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, National Exec
Originally Posted by LordHamster
Well, the new Patagonia Transport MLC just arrived in the mail. I've unpacked it and given it a first look-through.

Looks: I got the bag in black, and must say it looks really sharp/professional. I don't think a gate agent would give this a second look, and this bag would fit right into any Client Boardroom if necessary.

Materials:
The "Polyester Twill" material the bag is made of is very different than the Cordura and Ballistic Nylon most of my other bags are made of. The material is very soft and pliable. It has a much softer surface feel if that makes sense. It is the kind of material I'd imagine might stain or absorb water quicker than the ballistic. I'm glad I got it in black. Actual use will tell how it turns out, again, this is just my gut feeling without having used it.

The Zippers are YKK throughout, with a very beefy #10 YKK for the main compartment!

Size:
I doubt the 22x16x9 dimensions quoted on the site. The bag honestly looks like it is 22x14x9 exactly (though I haven't fully packed it yet). Standing it up next to my Ebags Mother Lode Convertible Weekender (unexpanded) the bags look to be nearly identical in size.

Weight: This bag is markedly lighter than the Ebags Mother Lode Weekender Convertible. The flexible material actually allowed the seller to jam the bag into a flat priority mail (fedex express style) box. by folding.

Straps:
As is common with these bags, the Shoulder strap included is serviceable, but will be replaced immediately with a Tom Bihn Absolute strap.
The backpack straps look to be of a nearly identical design to the motherlode, except where they attach to the bag at the bottom. They attach via a buckle rather than a hook. Unfortunately those backpack attachment buckles don't seem to stow or hide in any way.

Organization:
As indicated on the website, the main compartment is huge and accounts for most of the volume of the bag. The main pocked doesn't have tie-downs, but has a mesh cover which should act well to keep things in place. This bag seems best suited for use with Packing Folders or Packing cubes.
The main compartment also features a nice lid compartment with additional organization pockets.

Aside from the main compartment and the backpack strap stowage, the bag features 2 more pockets, both of which take zero space when not in use. In the back by the backpack straps is a padded laptop compartment, which serves to protect a laptop and also cushion your back (in backpack mode). The front of the bag has a full size (easy to access) compartment for storing nicknacks/electronics and papers. Quite nice.

The bag has a few more features, but in this first look I'm not going to describe it all. I'll make and post a youtube video as soon as I get a chance.
I just got the new model MLC as well and first impressions are largely the same as you. I haven't had a chance to use it yet but really got it for two reasons, the laptop compartment and the ability to store over another bag... two things that my currently most used bag cannot do (Tom Bihn Aeronaut).

I noticed that you have an eBags Motherlode Convertible. Is is the TLS version? How do you feel it compares to the MLC? I was considering the ebags tls motherlode convertible (http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/m...ertible/143101) or the MLC and chose the MLC of course because of its ability to sit on top of another bag. I've tried another motherlode bag (with wheels) before and though it was a good bag I ended up returning it because I felt that it had too many compartments for me as I prefered to have a large packing area instead. Anyway, your thoughts would be appreciated!
Old Feb 15, 2014, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by tangfj
I noticed that you have an eBags Motherlode Convertible. Is is the TLS version? How do you feel it compares to the MLC? I was considering the ebags tls motherlode convertible (http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/m...ertible/143101) or the MLC and chose the MLC of course because of its ability to sit on top of another bag. !
I bought both the regular and jr size - both arrived the day of my midnight flight to Asia last Wednesday. I went with reg size to carry Cpap device with accessories, toiletries, mess,, electronic goodies, work files, two change of clothes and pair of shoes plus place to stuff light down jacket after boarding. Also took my normal light tumi carry on with clothes. Plenty of room for 3 wk Asia trip.

I went with eBag due to price differential, so far quite happy. I used in backpack mode and not that heavy (60+ yr male )
Old Feb 16, 2014, 12:09 pm

Size:
I doubt the 22x16x9 dimensions quoted on the site. The bag honestly looks like it is 22x14x9 exactly (though I haven't fully packed it yet). Standing it up next to my Ebags Mother Lode Convertible Weekender (unexpanded) the bags look to be nearly identical in size.
Did you ever get a chance to put a tape measure to it?

I have an Arcteryx Blade 30 I have used for several years, but it measures the same as the old MLC bag (20.5x13x9), which makes no sense given the MLC was supposedly 45L. Would like to get a bag closer to the limit as the Arcteryx is a great bag (totally bulletproof) but I originally got it because it was the first to have stuff like a laptop sleeve etc... instead of it's actual size.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Patagonia's sizing makes absolutely no sense. They advertize the current MLC and the MLC Transport 45 at 45L but the Transport is larger in all dimensions.

From Patagonia's site:

MLC® 45L____________2746 cu. in.____20.5x13.5x7____2lb. 15 oz.
Transport MLC 45L___2746 cu. in.____22x16x9________3 lb. 2 oz.

A box of the dimensions of the MLC is 1937.25 cubic inches or 31.75L. This bag was known to have shrunk over the years -- maybe the older bag was 45L, but the new one is widely known to be smaller than advertized.

A box the dimensions of the MLC Transport is 3168 cubic inches or 51.9L.

Of course the bags aren't perfect cuboids and the fabric, straps and compartments take away space, while at the same times the bags stretch out and deform, so the volumes I calculated are just approximations. That said, it does suggest that Patagonia's claim of 45L for both is an error.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by TravlnD
That said, it does suggest that Patagonia's claim of 45L for both is an error.
At least one is.

With my Arcteryx bag I'm assuming they discount the back sleeve from the volume, otherwise it's way bigger than advertised (around 39L from my measurements).
Old Feb 17, 2014, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by gegarrenton
Did you ever get a chance to put a tape measure to it?

I have an Arcteryx Blade 30 I have used for several years, but it measures the same as the old MLC bag (20.5x13x9), which makes no sense given the MLC was supposedly 45L. Would like to get a bag closer to the limit as the Arcteryx is a great bag (totally bulletproof) but I originally got it because it was the first to have stuff like a laptop sleeve etc... instead of it's actual size.
I'll stuff it tonight and measure it.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 4:30 pm

I'll stuff it tonight and measure it.

Fantastic, much appreciated. ^
Old Feb 17, 2014, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I'm on an engagement in my home town this month so I haven't used the bag yet, but just packing it with Towels in the bathroom tonight, I found out that the nice folks at Patagonia must have been drinking heavily while they measured their bags for the website.

The Bag is at best 21x8-9x14

The thickness dimension can vary quite a bit depending on how stuffed it gets.

Old Feb 18, 2014, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks LordHampster.

This makes sense. Looks like the MLC Transport is around the dimensions of the original MLC (i.e., truly 22x9x14. Good to hear -- this may be the perfect new "MLC" bag.

While I like the materials, I was never a fan of the design of the Aeronaut (not a fan of the near square middle pocket) or the SkyTrain (don't like the fact that the hinge is on the bottom instead of the side - hard to open on a luggage rack). Besides both of those are a bit light on organization.

Last edited by TravlnD; Feb 18, 2014 at 4:59 pm
Old Feb 18, 2014, 7:28 am

I'm on an engagement in my home town this month so I haven't used the bag yet, but just packing it with Towels in the bathroom tonight, I found out that the nice folks at Patagonia must have been drinking heavily while they measured their bags for the website.

The Bag is at best 21x8-9x14

The thickness dimension can vary quite a bit depending on how stuffed it gets.

That is maybe an inch wider than my Arcteryx. Which as you say certainly varies depending on how much you jam in. I've gotten it a good 11 inches thick before I bet.

Thanks again for the measurements, gonna have to chew on this some more.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 7:31 am

Anyone got any stories from the road with this bag yet?
Old Mar 2, 2014, 10:55 am

Tom Bihn Western Flyer: Rolling Luggage pass through

Originally Posted by TravlnD
Let me know how it works out. I don't trust Patagonia's specs much since they show the same volume for the 2 bags but considerably larger dimensions on the Transport.

The organization looks like a big plus for the bag. Have not tried in person but looks very practical.

While I would expect to mostly carry on shoulder, I like option to also either put on back OR slide over the handles of my wife's roller if I travel with her. (I'll take both; don't expect my wife to carry mine! She will NEVER give up wheels). I don't know of any others that provide the flexibility. Not Tom Bihn, Red Oxx, Eagle Creek, etc.
Hey TravlnD, just an FYI, there is one version of Tom Bihn's Western Flyer that includes a rolling luggage pass through pocket, check out the link. You have to go to the drop down menu under "(Exterior/Lining)" heading to the bottom choice: Rolling luggage pocket. I believe it's the only Tom Bihn bag that offers that feature. Hope this helps!!

http://www.tombihn.com/travel_bags/TB0950.html
Old Mar 2, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
I have a several year old MLC, and I love it. Very light and I easily use it for less than 1 week trips. I have taken it on 2 week trips using laundry, but I sometimes overpack it and wish I wasn't carrying around such a heavy bag--usually better to take a wheelie.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.