Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which "luxury" carry-on bag do you use?

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2015, 4:50 pm

Programs: QF, VN, SQ, SPG, IHG PG
Originally Posted by KeepDiscovering
people who don't care about what other think would not bother mentioning them i reckon.
I just mentioned it because the OP was worried about the monogram being "too flashy" - so that was my response to that, seriously though it doesn't matter what other people think aslong as you like the product than it's ok. People should be able to purchase items and not be judged. I think they shouldn't be deterred from buying whatever they like.
Old May 9, 2015, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by soorox
I just mentioned it because the OP was worried about the monogram being "too flashy" - so that was my response to that, seriously though it doesn't matter what other people think aslong as you like the product than it's ok. People should be able to purchase items and not be judged. I think they shouldn't be deterred from buying whatever they like.
That's true, but there is a difference between spending $1500 on a bag like, e.g., a Glaser bag that nobody but you and a small group of bag enthusiasts will know cost $1500, and a bag that says "LV LV LV LV" that everybody knows is expensive (or is a knockoff."

I'm not judging, but to pretend that it's not a factor for people making purchase decisions is foolish. Either they like being seen to be the sort of person who carries expensive bags or they have made a conscious decision to carry it despite anything that others may think.

Greg

Last edited by greg99; May 9, 2015 at 5:10 pm Reason: Pocket post
Old May 9, 2015, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

brand price includes brand and may in some cases not include quality/value
Old May 9, 2015, 9:56 pm
Suspended

Berluti (part of LVMH) not mentioned yet

Trolley is ca. € 5.000
Old May 11, 2015, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by Climb14er
Air Boss or TriStar.

These are every day bullet proof luxury bags... to me.
Red Oxx bags might not fit the idea of "luxury" but their quality is as good as it gets and personally I think they look pretty sharp. I've gotten lots of compliments on my Sky Train and Air Boss bags and I'm eyeing their Tres Hombres but don't (yet) have an excuse to buy a third carry on from them.
Old May 12, 2015, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by soorox
I just mentioned it because the OP was worried about the monogram being "too flashy" - so that was my response to that, seriously though it doesn't matter what other people think aslong as you like the product than it's ok.
It matters if the other person looking at the logo is a thief. Flashy logos that also indicate a bag's expensive risk drawing the wrong sort of attention.
Old May 13, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by LuxuryRogue
Berluti (part of LVMH) not mentioned yet

Trolley is ca. € 5.000
Their purple colored hue is particularly nice (well they're all good).
Old May 13, 2015, 12:39 pm

I have to mention CORONADO FOLIO BRIEF BLACK HORWEEN from CORONADO LEATHER. Here is a Google search link below.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...+BLACK+HORWEEN

Horween leather, IMHO, is the best full grain leather money can buy. I carry this inside of my larger briefcase when going to executive level meetings (I leave the nylon bag at the hotel and just take this to my meetings). The fashionable and expensive bags are outrageously epxensive paying for camera time by Hethaways, DiCaprios, Bunchens of the world. Something like this is a value choice while exceeding the quality of the best leather bags of the world.
Old May 16, 2015, 8:28 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Just bought the Rimowa Topas Titanium Businesstrolley Multiwheel for 719eur.

I was in doubt between 2or4 wheels but in the whole of the Netherlands not a single shop had the 4wheel version in stock, there were 2wheels available but they were already reserved. At the Rimowa store in Oporto i managed to get the very last one from the window display. The saleswomen was apologetic that she didnt have any other in stock.

Why i chose this type?
- got the same topas titanium large suitcase size 9
- 4 wheels is for my taste easier to use
- liked the divider inside for easy reach, can also be removed if used as overnight bag
- would fit in E175/195 F50/70 AvroRJ ATR etc plane types
Old May 16, 2015, 12:17 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
This, but in black, and bought when on sale.

http://www.tomford.com/dettaglio-zip...or=DTG#start=4
Old May 23, 2015, 1:05 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by greg99
bag that says "LV LV LV LV" that everybody knows is expensive (or is a knockoff."
Agreed, true Hermes bags only the ones that are enthusiasts can tell.
So many fake LV's that can easily be identified from far away. Imagine how many LV's are fake once closely visualized......
Old May 28, 2015, 8:37 pm

Bag whore!

LV Monogram Macassar Keepall Bandouliere 55
LV Messenger bag in black leather
Prada Nylon Briefcase
Whipping Post leather weekender - a stunning bag!
Y-3 Large luxe backpack
RedOxx Air Boss
The incomparable Briggs & Riley 235x tri-zip carry-on
Andiamo Valoroso 25" Duffle, 18" Satchel, 20" rolling duffle
Rimowa Salsa Deluxe in Black
Briggs & Riley widebody in both black and brown
+
+
+

I have a problem!

Last edited by jdlnmia; May 28, 2015 at 8:56 pm
Old May 31, 2015, 7:30 am

Programs: BA Executive Gold; Fairmont President's Club; Marriott Gold; various other memberships
I realize this thread is getting a little old, but as someone who travels a lot, I really enjoy carrying a nice bag with me wherever I go. I, too, have used a large LV Keepall Bandouliere 55 (with the strap) but find it is too unwieldly lugging it around an airport an on planes. I have had it for almost 30 years, but have not used it for a long time, except as an overnight bag that I can throw in my car.

So, in my case, I always have 2 with me. I have been using a Rimowa Topas aluminum multi-wheel IATA and a secondary leather bag I carry on the top of the suitcase, which serves as a catch-all bag (files, books, ipad, headphones, laptop, etc.). Depending on what I carry and where I am going, I have a (i) Bally satchel (and a "sailor bag"...very beautiful) which I bought in Switzerland as it was a special release only there....a couple of (ii) Smythson bags from London (beautiful product and limited global availability) (iii) a Dunhill bag from London and a (iv) Goyard bag I bought at an auction in NYC a few years ago. I have picked up a handful of large, Coach tote bags from the outlet which are from the thick, heavy leather, and they were so inexpensive, I don't mind if they get beat up a little....adds some patina, anyway.

I often travel for business and go directly to meetings from the airport, and in my work and places I go, people notice the details of how I dress (thank goodness for arrivals lounges) and what I carry, so I like the discrete, but beautiful bags. I also just like having well-made products like this and know they will last the rest of my life if I take reasonable care of them.

If it does not matter to you, then don't bother and go for Coach for leather...decently made (some of them) and relatively inexpensive; Tumi for nylon or polycarbonate; Rimowa for polycarbonate. Actually, an ex-girlfriend gave me a ZERO Halliburton case 25 years ago and I still use it...dents, scratches and all.

I tend to buy things for the long term, so don't mind spending more upfront. I have never been disappointed.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Hi guys,

Any thoughts on these two ?
Or on these two brands in general ?

I'm looking for something of quality workmanship that will last.

https://lotuffleather.com/collection...ant=4112846405

https://www.troubadourgoods.com/products/weekender
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by Nizar
Hi guys,

Any thoughts on these two ?
Or on these two brands in general ?

I'm looking for something of quality workmanship that will last.

https://lotuffleather.com/collection...ant=4112846405

https://www.troubadourgoods.com/products/weekender
I have a Frank Clegg duffle. I believe Lotuff split from them. Great quality and looks but as the post above mentions duffle bags can be cumbersome with air travel. My wife insists on bringing it atop her Rimowa spinner. Usually I end up getting it through security and into storage so I keep myself hands free with a Goruck Radio Ruck. It's rugged and has lasted years but watch out if you're wearing a fine shirt or sweater. The nylon is coarse and will make yarns fuzz. Since it's mostly long international travel for us so the Briggs and Riley Torq spinners go into the cargo hold. Had the corner of one get pushed in deep once because the luggage was almost empty -- popped back out without stretch or cracking. Not as sexy as Rimowa but comes with lifetime warranty. Shortly after we got the Rimowa it already needed repair for some adhesive coming apart...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.