Which "luxury" carry-on bag do you use?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which "luxury" carry-on bag do you use?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2013, 1:13 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, Hyatt Dia, SPG Gold, Shangri-La(h) Jade
Even Hermes' Birkin's are a common sight in SQ's F cabins these days especially on the CGK route.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 5:44 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

There are some fantastic Birkin knock-offs around. Takes a pretty well trained eye to recognize the authentic Birkin as opposed to a gorgeous copy hand made in Italy.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 6:07 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, Hyatt Dia, SPG Gold, Shangri-La(h) Jade
Originally Posted by obscure2k
There are some fantastic Birkin knock-offs around. Takes a pretty well trained eye to recognize the authentic Birkin as opposed to a gorgeous copy hand made in Italy.
Oh okay, I was wondering why they seemed to become so popular all of a sudden. Thanks for the information.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
This is a very useful thread....one of the most useful for a thread I have started.

I appreciate the input, including references to companies of which I have never heard. I can quickly eliminate those bags I do not like (great bags, just not for my tastes and preferences); making a final decision will be more difficult.

One person has told me he took several years after graduation from an advanced-degree program before he settled on a briefcase he hopes to use his entire career! ^

Please keep adding to the responses.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 12:52 am

Programs: NZ, QF
Originally Posted by kevinsac
One person has told me he took several years after graduation from an advanced-degree program before he settled on a briefcase he hopes to use his entire career! ^
I totally share his view. I want a proper briefcase to go with me in those early mornings and late nights in office, presentations and business travelling
Old Sep 3, 2013, 11:21 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
I have several LV hand me downs from family too, and when I got my first job, I bought a few smaller pieces of my own as well. However, the quality is not the same today as it was even 15 years ago. The manufacturing has moved from France to Spain and parts are sourced from around the world. For example a small clutch purchased 5 years ago has had its zipper pull colour fade after a month of daily use. The fading colour on the hardware used to be one of the sure signs of a fake. LV kindly replaced the entire zipper not once but twice because the 1st replacement zipper kept on catching on itself. The clutch is now unused in the back of my closet because the 2nd replaced zipper and zipper pull is again fading. Note, I have the same clutch in a different colour from 15 years ago that does not have the fading hardware problem.

However, if you are happy with the function of your vintage LV keepall, a new one might be just the thing. The fabric is decently water resistant and the larger travel bags still seem to have the same all brass zipper they used to. I also have a Coach leather duffel bag from the early 90s (when they were still made in the USA) and a wool, leather and silk Etro, both I rarely use as I seem to get stuck in wet weather, snow, sleet, freezing rain or even a monsoon.

Dunhill does make nice bags, but just make sure you don't pick a style that looks too much like a fragrance purchase freebie.

It all depends on your travel style and where you travel to.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
If you are looking at Lotuff you should also probably look at Glaser Designs in SF - they've been around for a while and their designs/quality are very good.

Relative to Bally - that's a brand in flux and hardly the same as 20 years ago - they had a loafer that was my mainstay shoe for years. I had a Bally briefcase back then that was very nice but it was too delicate for heavy travel. How did purses (Birkin) make it into the dialog?
Old Sep 3, 2013, 7:42 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
IMO, the Glaser duffle isn't a great design as the zipper is too short and doesn't extend over the sides. Are they able to custom-make that for a customer?
Old Sep 3, 2013, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by Braindrain
IMO, the Glaser duffle isn't a great design as the zipper is too short and doesn't extend over the sides. Are they able to custom-make that for a customer?
I agree. That's the first thing I noticed. Nice looking bag, though.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I spoke to a staff member at Lotuff this evening. But both bags went downhill in my opinion.

Neither bag is lined. It's just the raw leather. He said that the finish of the bridle "should not rub off or create lint" (you're damned right a $2000 bag should not leave lint on the clothes packed inside!) but he admitted the regular leather bag is unfinished enough the he has experienced lint on his clothes, since that's the bag he uses.

Lining is not an option.

I was made aware that Lotuff used to be partnered with Frank Clegg. He offers a similar duffle, with lining, for half the price. Does anyone know this company?
Old Sep 4, 2013, 3:21 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Clegg was in business back in the 70's. A few years ago (or thereabouts), supposedly the Lotuff brothers approached Clegg to do a partnership. As you can tell, it went south pretty fast.

Supposedly all the designs are from Clegg but you'll notice the Lotuff designs are exactly the same. The rumor mill says the Lotuffs "stole" the designs from Clegg.

I have heard nothing but good things about Clegg. But, I'm not sure about how much customization he's able to do.

As an aside, I really don't know what your budget is. But if it's north of $3K, there is a well-regarded, Hermes trained seamstress located in SF who does nothing but bespoke items.

Last edited by Braindrain; Sep 4, 2013 at 3:27 pm
Old Sep 4, 2013, 4:04 pm

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Ermm in the case of those passengers on that route though, I'd take a guess that those ARE genuine Birkins

LV of course is now part of LVMH who own a surprising number of brands including Dunhill and LV. The wider distribution brands such as LV, within LVMH, seem to have had their quality of manufacture and materials diminish as a result. Bally got bought by venture capital some years back IIRC and there was deterioration of quality across some lines. Historically within Bally the "Bally Suisse" lines tended to be the better quality of product.

Chanel seems to have done better and protected the craftmanship of those businesses they have acquired which I gather was their main aim.

Last edited by h15t0r1an; Sep 4, 2013 at 4:19 pm
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:08 pm

check out http://roztayger.com/

I find some interesting and quality bags there. I think Lotuff bags are there too. (I don't work for them)
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Mellonc
check out http://roztayger.com/

I find some interesting and quality bags there. I think Lotuff bags are there too. (I don't work for them)
Wow, this is a cool website. They seem to have a fairly well edited selection of stuff. Thanks for the link!

^

Per the original thread, I have been looking for a mid-to-large sized "luxury" duffle and I think I'm going to end up getting a LV 55 Holdall. I'm holding out for it in Epi, which I think is very discreet and a much better fit for my style and personality then the original LV patterns.

OP you might try Ferragamo and Zegna, I did see a really nice Zegna duffle in Japan that unfortunately did not have a shoulder strap (a requirement of mine).
Old Sep 5, 2013, 3:19 pm

I'd try the luxury holdall thread we started some time ago.

I'd closely look at Diamond Leather by S.T. Dupont. Wonderful quality. Won't be heavier than LV's Epicuir. Craftsmanship is at least equal in favor of Dupont.

I'd also look at Briggs Adeney Sweeney. Really classic holdalls. Heavy, though.

Personally, I'd go for Dupont. Maybe try custom.

Till

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.