Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

One bag carry-on strategy for strict weight airlines (Lufthansa, Air Canada, etc)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One bag carry-on strategy for strict weight airlines (Lufthansa, Air Canada, etc)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2013, 12:11 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I use an inexpensive 21" ASaks expandable when one-bagging it on international carriers. The bag itself is pretty light (~2lbs empty) and can hold a surprisingly large volume.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 8:47 am

I purchased several sets of those Eagle Creek bags (the compression ones) and I found them really useful. Besides using for packing, I keep one with me as an 'amenity kit' when I fly.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 11:10 am

The frustration for me is that I am a professional photographer and camera gear adds up but is too valuable to safely check into the hold.

My wife and I are flying IAH-IST next month and are in Business class for the transatlantic leg on UA but take LH for the MUC-IST leg and again when we leave. Lufthansa says my carry on main item can only weigh 8KG or 17.6 lbs which isn't very much.

My camera bag is a small back pack style that fits their allowed dimensions and has two Canon DSLR bodies, and the following lenses: 15, 16-35, 24-70 and an large 85mm portrait lens. I also have a 70-200 that is in it's own case. Just weighed the main bag and it is 18.6 lbs. Guess I will stuff a lens or body in my coat pocket to lower the weight. My wife usually helps me by carrying the long zoom lens.

My personal item/bag is a small laptop style bag with a tablet, phone, headphones, etc. and weighs about 5lbs.

I wouldn't mind having to pay more for additional weight limits for carry on. We mostly fly UA and I wish I had not had to have the connection on LH
Old Dec 21, 2013, 11:18 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
This is why I bought a "Bagket" and a Tumi Super Leger.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by Chrisinhouston
The frustration for me is that I am a professional photographer and camera gear adds up but is too valuable to safely check into the hold.

My wife and I are flying IAH-IST next month and are in Business class for the transatlantic leg on UA but take LH for the MUC-IST leg and again when we leave. Lufthansa says my carry on main item can only weigh 8KG or 17.6 lbs which isn't very much.

My camera bag is a small back pack style that fits their allowed dimensions and has two Canon DSLR bodies, and the following lenses: 15, 16-35, 24-70 and an large 85mm portrait lens. I also have a 70-200 that is in it's own case. Just weighed the main bag and it is 18.6 lbs. Guess I will stuff a lens or body in my coat pocket to lower the weight. My wife usually helps me by carrying the long zoom lens.

My personal item/bag is a small laptop style bag with a tablet, phone, headphones, etc. and weighs about 5lbs.

I wouldn't mind having to pay more for additional weight limits for carry on. We mostly fly UA and I wish I had not had to have the connection on LH
You will be fine, worst case scenario you just shift things around a little bit. Just hope the ground crew are not having a bad day. If possible maybe bring a bigger personal item, they don't weigh it, a backpack. I flew with a patagonia MLC, 3/4 filled as a personal item (as a backpack) and a carry on, but then again the flight was departing in the US, so they might be more strict int he EU. Make sure things are wrapped (in packing cubes) for example if you have to shift them around.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC

Winter coat with lots of large pockets usually do the trick for me; I carry each lens in its own lens pouch and then into the pocket of the "coat".
Old Dec 21, 2013, 12:21 pm
Used to be 'roachjl'

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
I've been using the Tom Bihn Aeronaut for two years. I have gone one bag and have not looked back. The only time I deviate is if I'm going on a trip that I think will involve lots of photography.
The Aeronaut is roomy enough to fit a weeks worth of clothes (I use packing cubes) with a side compartment that will fit and extra pair of shoes. It's very light and comfortable to carry. It has backpack straps in case you need to run through the terminal. I have literally NEVER had to check it. I have never once given up possession of this bag to an airline employee, which is very important to me.
Highly recommend.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 11:50 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
With strict weight carriers, going wheel-less is even more helpful. They don't seem to figure you will go over weight if you have it over your shoulder or on your back.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 1:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Well, I pack as much as I can into the laptop bag, without being too obvious. And I've considered a photo jacket (aka w----- jacket) for carrying extra lenses, battery and the like. But ultimately, if my carry on bag must go over the limit (i.e. Any trip more than a couple of days), then I check something.

I'd not compromise on a proper carry on though - I once had to wait a week for my bag, and a total of four changes of clothes + essential liquids and so on, was a life saver.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 12:42 pm

It sounds like Lufthansa occasionally will check the weight of carry on bags, but they check the size? The carry on size limit is 55x40x23cm (21.7x15.7x23in). I have a bag that is 58x38x23cm. So I am over the limit in one dimension. Will they force me to check that bag?
Old Aug 28, 2017, 4:08 pm

Programs: DL SM, CX GREEN
Seems a little unfair, I carry a small backpack that is stuffed and heavy.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenneth-Col.../dp/B00KNMYKT2

When full it is 22 lbs, very much over many of the asian airlines allowance. This small size bag fits easily into any overhead bin and can last on my trips of 4-19 days. Not that I've ever been unallowed to board (once had to consolidate my stuff into my laptop bag). But why should a small overweight bag be an issue when the two people sitting next to me are easily 30+lb more weight than me. If they gonna be so strict on the baggage weight of small size bags, then they surely should be strict on the passenger weight.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Zamees
Seems a little unfair, I carry a small backpack that is stuffed and heavy.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenneth-Col.../dp/B00KNMYKT2

When full it is 22 lbs, very much over many of the asian airlines allowance. This small size bag fits easily into any overhead bin and can last on my trips of 4-19 days. Not that I've ever been unallowed to board (once had to consolidate my stuff into my laptop bag). But why should a small overweight bag be an issue when the two people sitting next to me are easily 30+lb more weight than me. If they gonna be so strict on the baggage weight of small size bags, then they surely should be strict on the passenger weight.
That is Asian LCC rules, 7kg. Weighted at checked in and given cabin baggage tag. You are forced to check overage at a very high pay on the spot price.
It is not an issue of whether the bag fits but milk all the $$$ in fees. I swear the check in agents get a %age of these the way they are enforced.

Cargo pants/shorts and Scottvest are my travel buddies around SE Asia.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 12:35 pm
haa

Programs: No more status, free agent now
There are very lightweight rollaboards as well, from e.g. IT luggage (ex "sub-zero-G" brand) which weigh only 1.5kg for a max-size carryon bag with 2 wheels. This weight is same as a good shoulder bag, so you can get wheels without going over weight.

My experience is that shoulder bags are not weighted at the airport as often as rollaboards, but if the weight is under or not much over the limit (<2kg), have not had any issues.

The IT luggage bags are often available from sales for 50 EUR or less at least in Europe (from e.g. bagsetc.co.uk who ship internationally), they have several carryon models matching different airline max sizes.

I have used this rollaboard successfully on many many flights, and had no troubles if not trying to overpack. For one-night trips I prefer shoulder bag, for longer wheels save my shoulders ;-)

I find the carryon weight limit a clear competitive edge for some airlines and strongly prefer (and give my money to, if I can) e.g. BA with 23kg carryon weight limit compared to SK/AY/LH/etc with 8kg limit.

One reason I also try to keep my FF status is that often the business check-in or priority line doesn't weigh bags then the normal economy does ;-)
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver

Either I got really lucky and dodged the baggage police, or they really only care about the rolling bags.

I have a LowePro Pro Runner 350AW that's overstuffed. Weighs 15kg (33lbs) with all of my camera gear and laptop in it. I flew five legs last year on European carriers with strict carry-on weight allowances, but none of them bothered to check my "backpack." They did go around the seating area at the gate and weighed the rolling bags.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by diburning
Either I got really lucky and dodged the baggage police, or they really only care about the rolling bags.

I have a LowePro Pro Runner 350AW that's overstuffed. Weighs 15kg (33lbs) with all of my camera gear and laptop in it. I flew five legs last year on European carriers with strict carry-on weight allowances, but none of them bothered to check my "backpack." They did go around the seating area at the gate and weighed the rolling bags.
I've had much the same experience. Much attention is paid to weighing they carry-on but the personal item is ignored. Not always, but almost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.