Wiki Posts
Search

Took plunge on Briggs & Riley Baseline Domestic 22"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2013, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS
Took plunge on Briggs & Riley Baseline Domestic 22"

I just ordered the the U122CX from here: http://www.ebags.com/product/briggs-...uctid=10210868

Gotta love no sales tax and free 2 day shipping and returns!

I am on track for over 100,000 miles this year (mostly long-haul international) so I wanted an upgrade from my tired TJ Maxx carry-on. This is by far the most expensive piece of luggage I have purchased to date, but will hopefully be the last roller carry-on I ever need.

I was torn between the Domestic U122CX and the Commuter U119CX, mainly over concerns of the bag fitting wheels first in most overhead bins. I also wanted the garment/built-in suiter the Domestic "22 has over the Commuter 19", and obvoiusly the larger size is welcome as I never check my bags if I can avoid it.

I compared against other Briggs & Riley models and other brands (Tumi, Travelpro), and the combination of features, price, lifetime warranty, and looks, along with mostly positive reviews brought the U122CX out ahead for me.

Anyone have experience with the U122CX? I have seen some posts and reviews that say the U122CX fits in most mainline bins wheels first, moreso than previous Briggs & Riley Baseline 22" models. Just looking for some additional reports and experiences with the bag
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:16 am

just out of curiosity why didnt you decide to go with the TORQ? I'm between that and the one you purchased
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by llbad
just out of curiosity why didnt you decide to go with the TORQ? I'm between that and the one you purchased
The primary reason is that I'm not a fan of hardside bags so I didn't even consider it. If I did prefer hardside the TORQ looks like a solid choice, but there are a few key things I noticed the TORQ does not have that the Baseline Domestic U122CX does:

• Built-in garment/suiter and folding board
  • Expansion/compression
  • Variety of quick access outer storage slots, including nifty compartment between handle frame

I also prefer the 2 inline wheels as apposed to the 4 spinners. The fewer moving parts, the fewer things to break. Granted both are covered by lifetime warranties, so not a big concern in this case (pun?)
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
Originally Posted by atomic3
The fewer moving parts, the fewer things to break.
Great life philosophy. Now, if I could only get my clients to understand to follow this credo...
Old Sep 14, 2013, 4:24 pm

Programs: AARP, DL Skymiles, Marriot Bonvoy, Moe's Rewards
Atomic3, any feedback on the b&r? I just bought a travelpro crew 9 22 inch w a suiter but compared to my 8 year old samsonite 22-incher, but there was such a drop in capacity I am considering springing for a b&r instead
Old Sep 14, 2013, 5:50 pm

Programs: EK Blue,VS,BA, Krisflyer, Hilton Gold , Radisson Gold , Hyatt Gold.
May I ask ,,, why not Rimowa ?
Old Sep 15, 2013, 5:17 am

I travel with the U122CX-4 when I need wheels and love the thing. A Red Oxx Air Boss fills the bill if any segment of my travel involves a regional jet. Both are strong performers with a lifetime warranty. Neither will let you down.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fsuj25
Atomic3, any feedback on the b&r? I just bought a travelpro crew 9 22 inch w a suiter but compared to my 8 year old samsonite 22-incher, but there was such a drop in capacity I am considering springing for a b&r instead
Love the bag! I was easily able to fit: 1 suit (in the suiter of course), 5 t-shirts, 2 pairs shorts, 1 pair jeans, 1 polo, 5 dress shirts, 6 undershirts, 10 pairs socks, and 10 pair boxer briefs, and a fleece with no expansion.

Fitting the bag wheels first in overhead bins was the biggest concern of mine, but I read that the newest model of the 22" baseline was far better at fitting than the previous version. It easily fit overhead bin wheels first in a United 737-900 in Y and United Airbus A320 in F (I imagine same size bins as Y). It only fit sideways in a United 747-400 in F and a Lufthansa A380 in C (window side), but I don't think these bins would fit any rollaboard wheels first. The main cabin on the United 747-400 and middle rows of the Lufthansa A380 can accommodate the bag wheels first in overhead bins just fine.

No complaints whatsoever and highly recommend. Great functionality and great looking! I just need to find a good use for the pocket between the handle frame. I'm thinking a compact travel umbrella will fit the bill...
Old Sep 15, 2013, 9:43 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
The pocket between the handles is great for a travel umbrella. I roll a rain poncho around mine and it fits in there just fine
Old Oct 3, 2013, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Thinking about getting this bag. Only question is pro/cons of having the extendable handle external rather than internal to the bag.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 5khours
Thinking about getting this bag. Only question is pro/cons of having the extendable handle external rather than internal to the bag.
The main pro is that the external handle frame prevents the bars from protruding inside the luggage. This leaves a nice flat storage area and maximizes the capacity.

I haven't discovered any cons yet to be honest.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 9:22 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
I bought a Briggs&Riley bag @ 18 yrs ago. It's not a carryon, but a larger bag for checking only. But my experience has been that it's very reliable, tough and durable. It's been to Asia/Europe and back many times a year since and is going strong.

I bought for its reputation and lifetime guarantee. I've taken the bag in for repair 2-3 times in different cities. Never had problems getting service and was usually done within a week.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 10:48 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
I just picked up this bag and took it on my first trip with it. Packing it is very easy with the external handle. The only issue I have is the handle has some play in it and is not as sturdy as my TravelPro, which is my only con to the bag.

External handle makes it extremely easy to pack pants at the bottom of your suitcase.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 2:33 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by Thomps000
I just picked up this bag and took it on my first trip with it. Packing it is very easy with the external handle. The only issue I have is the handle has some play in it and is not as sturdy as my TravelPro, which is my only con to the bag.

External handle makes it extremely easy to pack pants at the bottom of your suitcase.
If that's important, why wouldn't you have an internal handle under a flat bottom. You'd give up the space around the handle, but the external dimension of the bag wouldn't change and you'd have just as much internal space.

Also I never understood with an external handle, why they didn't run it down the side of the bag rather than middle. That way you get the best of both worlds.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 10:17 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.5MM SPG
I never understood with an external handle, why they didn't run it down the side of the bag rather than middle. That way you get the best of both worlds.
I have just such a bag which I have been using frequently since 1995! The housing for the handles act as a great skid rail and there is a large pouch in the back of the bag, great for storing a full sized book. The matching tote is slightly ripped but still serviceable. The wheels are low to the ground and as a result, the internal packing space is quite large. A Skyway, probably bought at Marshalls. I bought two at the time and gave one away to my son. Perhaps I should have kept it.

I have been looking for a replacement for a few weeks and the B&R 22" Baseline and Victorinox NXT 5 are top contenders but still not up to my original bag in capacity and design.

Mrs. Oceanrider finds my particularity quite amusing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.