Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Rimowa- have they taken over the luggage world

Rimowa- have they taken over the luggage world

Old Aug 15, 2013, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK Blue,VS,BA, Krisflyer, Hilton Gold , Radisson Gold , Hyatt Gold.
Deleted - topic closed

Simples - the best luggage nobody can stop talking about

Last edited by porsche911; Sep 3, 2013 at 2:55 pm
Old Aug 15, 2013, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by porsche911
I have never seen such hype / encouragement for such an expensive high end travel product before. The brand is everywhere - I know it's not good but fantastic but why Has it become the luggage " you must have "
speak for yourself please. i don't have any desire to get one, though i recognize that they make, by many accounts, a quality product.

it looks like you have an obsession with the brand [since you also created the thread about what are the cheaper facsimiles to the brand]. don't you think then that you should ante up and get one then?!

and i disagree that they're taking over the [luggage] world. i really wouldn't care if they did or not anyway, but it would be doubtful since their pricing is beyond what your typical traveler would pay.

Last edited by Filmbuff; Aug 15, 2013 at 8:08 pm
Old Aug 15, 2013, 8:47 pm

I concur with Filmbuff-

I've also read your other post.

Rimowa makes one custom model for the front boot of your Porsche 911, and other models for the back seat.

That is no myth, as you surely know.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK Blue,VS,BA, Krisflyer, Hilton Gold , Radisson Gold , Hyatt Gold.
I agree and have deleted the topic - sorry
Old Aug 16, 2013, 4:45 am

Programs: Club Carlson Gold, AMEX Platinum, EBG
I like it and have 3 pcs, but I hardly ever see any Rimowa luggage in Scandinavia or Russia which are my most frequent destinations. On a recent trip from Norway to NZ via the US I never saw another piece of Rimown luggage in either direction. I did get a comment from the checkin lady at AKL that they don't get a lot of Rimowa in Auckland where did I get it from because she would like a set.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by porsche911
I agree and have deleted the topic - sorry
no apologies necessary. i merely thought it was curious that you seemed like a big Rimona admirer and liked the luggage but seemed reluctant to pay the price.

i can tell you since i am a collector in several hobbies, that generally only the genunine thing can scratch that itch, eg. getting something 'like a Rimona' probably won't be quite as satisfying.

good luck, I hope that you get it and will love it.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 11:28 am

Programs: ROP *G
Filmbuff "and i disagree that they're taking over the [luggage] world. i really wouldn't care if they did or not anyway, but it would be doubtful since their pricing is beyond what your typical traveler would pay."

I politely disagree, their luggage is only $100 USD more expensive than a Briggs-Riley Torq suitcase or roughly the same price as a Tumi Vapor. I paid 450euros for my Rimowa Topas and don't consider that to be ridiculously overpriced.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Mchamp
Filmbuff "and i disagree that they're taking over the [luggage] world. i really wouldn't care if they did or not anyway, but it would be doubtful since their pricing is beyond what your typical traveler would pay."

I politely disagree, their luggage is only $100 USD more expensive than a Briggs-Riley Torq suitcase or roughly the same price as a Tumi Vapor. I paid 450euros for my Rimowa Topas and don't consider that to be ridiculously overpriced.
maybe you travel in loftier company, but i can tell you that 450 euros is a bit more than what the average 'John Doe' flyer spends on a single piece of luggage. like i said, i don't think we're going to see Rimowas everywhere at the airports just yet.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 2:46 pm

Wow, thats quite a title for a thread. While I've seen images of Rimowa luggage, I never visited their site till today. Given they may take over the world, I did today. Quite an interesting way to show off their products - Is the 'Topaz Titanium' their big kahuna product? The guy standing next to it seems to be the most fortunate of the lot. I almost feel sorry for the gentleman standing next to the Topas - he seems bored stiff (not of his luggage, I hope) :-))
Old Aug 17, 2013, 11:27 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Not sure about Rimowa as luggage for frequent travelers.
I bought one trolley in Dubai (Mall of the Emirates) in 2007. Then, when in Muscat in 2009, my trolley couldn't be opened and I had to ask the Shangri-La's concierge some tools to open it :-(( never happened with any other brands I've been using.
Rimowa: look is good, durability: not that sure
Old Aug 19, 2013, 6:16 pm

I went to look at it in a store last week. It was all so shiny and girly. Do you all really have pink and purple sparkly cases? I am female and the colours were too twee for me.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 12:59 am

Hi Barnaby -

" Is a rimowa any good? I was looking at them at the weekend- they were quite girly which put me off and I am femaie. Does the sparkle die down quickly? " - 09.08.2013

August 9th, and looking at Rimowa again last week, I see. You sound intrigued.

Yes, they are good.

Once you get over the German Accountant alu. look, Rimowa is actually a very functional and pragmatic choice. I am in agreement with you 100% on some of the other colours, such as the bright Red.

But you can't please everyone.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 9:08 pm

Programs: AC 50K E, A3 Gold, CX Gold
saw Jalena Jankovic with a purple Salsa Air going through Toronto's Pearson International airport two weeks ago
Old Aug 20, 2013, 9:41 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, Hyatt Dia, SPG Gold, Shangri-La(h) Jade
My main airports are SIN, CGK, DPS, HKG, BOM, ICN, SFO and ORD and Rimowas are still far more uncommon than Tumi. The brand I see the most whilst travelling is without a doubt Samsonite. I rarely come across Briggs & Riley in the East.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 5:29 am
Ory

Programs: Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by Filmbuff
speak for yourself please. i don't have any desire to get one, though i recognize that they make, by many accounts, a quality product.

it looks like you have an obsession with the brand [since you also created the thread about what are the cheaper facsimiles to the brand]. don't you think then that you should ante up and get one then?!

and i disagree that they're taking over the [luggage] world. i really wouldn't care if they did or not anyway, but it would be doubtful since their pricing is beyond what your typical traveler would pay.
There are two types of luggage: Rimowa and Not Rimowa.

It's popular because of its quality, simplicity, service and design characteristics.

I for one will not buy another brand, with the exception of shoulder/hand carried items like laptop bags (I like Case-Logic) and totes (I like the Tumis).

When you are getting off a jet and there's snow everywhere at whichever tramline you get off, you will appreciate the smooth rolling cases with a waterproofed, hard shell. When you are traveling light, you will appreciate the IATA sized cases. If you want something flashier, and a little sturdier, there's the Topas aluminum cases and the Classic Flight cases.

Personally, I'm buying my nephews and family members a 22 inch IATA Salsa when they come of age. I'm sure it's the last piece of luggage they'll need for a decade or more.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.