Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rimowa- have they taken over the luggage world

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2013, 5:30 am
Ory

Programs: Marco Polo Gold
I should add that in Japan everyone who can get it gets Rimowa.

In China that's also the case.

In much of Asia, it's the case.

It's one of those items worth every penny you spend on it, irrespective of whether you pay MRRP or not.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 3:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B350 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by Ory
Originally Posted by Filmbuff
speak for yourself please. i don't have any desire to get one, though i recognize that they make, by many accounts, a quality product.

it looks like you have an obsession with the brand [since you also created the thread about what are the cheaper facsimiles to the brand]. don't you think then that you should ante up and get one then?!

and i disagree that they're taking over the [luggage] world. i really wouldn't care if they did or not anyway, but it would be doubtful since their pricing is beyond what your typical traveler would pay.
There are two types of luggage: Rimowa and Not Rimowa.

It's popular because of its quality, simplicity, service and design characteristics.

I for one will not buy another brand, with the exception of shoulder/hand carried items like laptop bags (I like Case-Logic) and totes (I like the Tumis).

When you are getting off a jet and there's snow everywhere at whichever tramline you get off, you will appreciate the smooth rolling cases with a waterproofed, hard shell. When you are traveling light, you will appreciate the IATA sized cases. If you want something flashier, and a little sturdier, there's the Topas aluminum cases and the Classic Flight cases.

Personally, I'm buying my nephews and family members a 22 inch IATA Salsa when they come of age. I'm sure it's the last piece of luggage they'll need for a decade or more.
A decade isn't long for high quality luggage.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 4:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by KiwiRob
I like it and have 3 pcs, but I hardly ever see any Rimowa luggage in Scandinavia or Russia which are my most frequent destinations. On a recent trip from Norway to NZ via the US I never saw another piece of Rimown luggage in either direction. I did get a comment from the checkin lady at AKL that they don't get a lot of Rimowa in Auckland where did I get it from because she would like a set.
I see Rimowas frequently at CPH, MMX, ARN and BMA. They are sold in Oslo, but I don't see them as often at OSL except when there are relatively large numbers of East Asian tourists coming or going. Acquaintences from GOT that do business in Oslo and see them sold there ask me how much they are in the US. They are cheaper bought in Germany and taken/sent to the US than if walking in the door of a US retailer selling them to off-the-street customers.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold, US Silver, Starwood Gold, Starbucks Gold
As much as it is hyped here (seemingly deservedly, no judgment intended), I can't say I've seen one in the US. Disappointed, as I'd like to check them out..
Old Aug 31, 2013, 9:19 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, Hyatt Dia, SPG Gold, Shangri-La(h) Jade
I just saw 11 Rimowa Classic Flight and Topas carry-ons at the SFO international terminal whilst walking to G95 to board SQ15 to SIN. I thought I was hallucinating, never seen so many Rimowa cases at once in my life! Luckily I had my Salsa Deluxe on me so I didn't feel that out of place. I do feel that a nice beaten up Classic Flight looks a lot sharper than a Topas.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 3:52 am

There is definitely an abundance in East Asia. In Europe, I've seen a growing amount in London, a lot in Germany (well that's a given) and on the Eurostar between London and Paris (but alas most of the users were Japanese or Chinese).

Stark contrast from the US where I've only probably seen one or two, even when traveling to JFK, SFO and LAS from the UK.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by rirawin
There is definitely an abundance in East Asia. In Europe, I've seen a growing amount in London, a lot in Germany (well that's a given) and on the Eurostar between London and Paris (but alas most of the users were Japanese or Chinese).

Stark contrast from the US where I've only probably seen one or two, even when traveling to JFK, SFO and LAS from the UK.

I can attest that Rimowa are infrequent sightings in the NYC area airports. You will tend to see more of the designer brands like LV (fakes or not) or Tumi. However, I will give credit where credit is due and my recent conversion to Rimowa was because I saw a fellow on my JFK-bound flight silkily rolling his multiwheel carry-on (guessing Topas) at the boarding gate and I was sold.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 2:43 pm

Hi Gadget -

" A decade isn't long for high quality luggage. " A very accurate and true statement.

All of our Samsonite cases are gone, having broken up along the way. 11+ years.

All of my leather navigation cases ( LH issued to Varig flight crew ) are gone, having slowly torn, and fallen apart. 8-13 years.

All of our Orvis canvas luggage are gone, starting with the wheels, canvas, and cracked leather cornering. Many good memories but still only 7 years.

My Zero Halliburton is gone ( the alu body remained intact ), as the hinge and lock could " not be repaired, " according to Halliburton. 15 years.

Our Rimowa alu. luggage is a much different, better statement of affairs.

Intact, repairable, and still fully functional.

Our 2 Topas carry-on cases shown here in the FT Photo Gallery under Extras, I purchased in late December, 1993. My LH Rimowa alu Nav case ( not allowed in the cockpit-Too reflective ), and LH alu Bordkoffer remain intact since 1994.

Almost THREE decades now, and still going strong.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 9:08 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I don't know about the world, but I feel like Rimowa has definitely taken over Japan. I swear everyone has one.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 5:38 am
Suspended

I just flew an international trip and saw about 3% fake Rimowa, 97% bags other than Rimowa, and no Rimowas.

I would say that "taken over the luggage world" is silly hyperbole.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 10:11 pm

How do you tell a fake Rimowa from a real one?
Old Sep 6, 2013, 11:22 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, Hyatt Dia, SPG Gold, Shangri-La(h) Jade
SIN-RGN-SIN didn't see any Rimowa, saw one on SIN-CMB-SIN. Both flights had multiple Tumi though.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 1:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by Flubber2012
I just flew an international trip and saw about 3% fake Rimowa, 97% bags other than Rimowa, and no Rimowas.

I would say that "taken over the luggage world" is silly hyperbole.
I think you mean 'imitation' Rimowa, rather than 'fake'. By which I mean polycarbonate luggage with grooves, but the grooves will be just different enough not to infringe any design rights.

Here is an example; of course it's a ripped-off design, but different enough not to be a copy; http://www.qrbiz.com/product/756408/...-suitcase.html
Old Sep 6, 2013, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by NeverFirst
I think you mean 'imitation' Rimowa, rather than 'fake'. By which I mean polycarbonate luggage with grooves, but the grooves will be just different enough not to infringe any design rights.

Here is an example; of course it's a ripped-off design, but different enough not to be a copy; http://www.qrbiz.com/product/756408/...-suitcase.html
You are correct. I should have said "superficially looking like RIMOWA"
Old Sep 6, 2013, 5:39 pm

Excellent link NeverFirst -

Actually there have been reports of counterfeit luggage products, including Rimowa. Caveat Emptor.

If an item appears suspicious, ( Poor or unusual polycarbonate case finish, Logo labels falling off, poor construction, loose locks, loose or strange handles and wheels, etc.), one can always verify the provenance ( or the lack thereof ) by calling Rimowa, using the identification Nr. stamped and unique to each case. No ID Nr. stamped on the case ? No need then to call Rimowa.

3 years ago, I saw a new Eames chair and ottoman set offered at a store across the frontier at a unbelievably low price. I went back early one morning to take a second look, and happened to see some of the sales people cleverly sticking silver labels of " authenticity ", one by one, on what turned out to be very poorly made Chinese counterfeit products, just unloaded and unwrapped. French, German, and Swiss designer couches and tables were there as well.

Despite the generous and friendly offer of a Cappuccino, I decided to leave immediately, without so much as an espresso. Not surprisingly, that "business" moved on, no doubt one step ahead of the open arms and handcuffs of the Guardia di Finanza.

If a Rimowa case were offered at a giveaway price, at night, in an alleyway, or perhaps online, I would think twice about parting with any of my hard-earned coin collection. I have come to appreciate that the Paypal service has a very aggressive policy regarding counterfeits and refunds for " products Not as described, " which also covers fakes.

Best to do your homework first ( catalogues, visit stores ), verify, test, and learn each of the Rimowa products in person if you can, and use a resource such as FT Forum first, before taking the plunge.

You may say I can't afford a Topas Titanium, just a Salsa, and suddenly one day you have the means and opportunity to make it happen.

Last edited by Swissaire; Sep 6, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.