Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Watches

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2013, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
Cool Travel Watches

Not sure if the FT crowd is big on watches but was curious what the frequent fliers have on their wrists.

Usually, a choice amongst the masses is a GMT watch with dual time zones like the Rolex GMT-Master,

I'd like to hear if you all have watches that you usually wear with you when traveling or are all just using our smartphones now?

Discuss!
Old Jul 19, 2013, 9:23 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Generally I wear my Breitling when traveling, but here's my current list.

Breitling Steelfish
Omega 300m Seamaster "Bond"
Ball Fireman Racer
Stowa Chronograph
Steinhart DLC Nav B

It's nice to decide on my way out which watch I'm taking, but normally it is between the Breitling or Omega.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:55 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by flipstah
Usually, a choice amongst the masses is a GMT watch with dual time zones like the Rolex GMT-Master,
I'd hardly call that Rolex a "watch for the masses".

If you do a search, you'll find there are already several threads on this topic.

As for my own go-to travel watch, it's the JLC Master Compressor Geographic. A very stealth watch that has literally accompanied me around the world.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i don't have one of those. or anything similar. i have 4 great casio digital display watches. i set each to one of the time zones i will be entering. then swap off watches. for the price of 1 rolex, i could buy a couple hundred casioz. i do worry quite a bit what my neighbors think of me for being a casio guy, but, can afford to live with it. another watch i like, the timex expedition. (300 for the price of a rolex). lots easier to read than the rolex.

a relative, who works for Audemars Piguet Royal Oak offered to get one for me with a deal. i could not figure out how to control ownership, so i passed.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 2:18 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by slawecki

a relative, who works for Audemars Piguet Royal Oak offered to get one for me with a deal. i could not figure out how to control ownership, so i passed.
Feel free to resell it to me at a higher price if you want. Nice call on the JLC, that's a great watch. ^
Old Jul 20, 2013, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

i don't have one of those. or anything similar. i have 4 great casio digital display watches. i set each to one of the time zones i will be entering. then swap off watches. for the price of 1 rolex, i could buy a couple hundred casioz. i do worry quite a bit what my neighbors think of me for being a casio guy, but, can afford to live with it. another watch i like, the timex expedition. (300 for the price of a rolex). lots easier to read than the rolex.
^

I love these DYKWIA threads.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
^

I love these DYKWIA threads.
+2

Timex Ironman. It's easy to adjust when entering/leaving time zones, it's waterproof, has an alarm and Indiglo so it can be viewed in the dark. All this for $39.95.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...moving to Travel Products.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 3:28 pm

i am a watch collector/enthusiast and even though my collection includes Rolex, JLC, Glashütte Original, etc...my preferred travel watch is a Citizen eco-drive Attesa, it looks very much like this.

it's eminently functional - dual time zone, dual alarm (alarm is very *audible*), countdown chrono, stopwatch, UTC time, comfortable (lightweight titanium), and scratch-resistant (duratec Ti + DLC bezel) and smartly stylish (for an ana-digi).

i never have to worry about having to replace a battery (it's solar powered w/6+month power reserve) and it doesn't have the potential issues that automatics might have ((insufficient winding on the wrist, mainspring issues, etc)

Last edited by Filmbuff; Jul 20, 2013 at 3:33 pm
Old Jul 20, 2013, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA
I have nothing as fancy as all that, but I have had a lot of fun with an inexpensive two-dial watch that I bought at a night market in Hong Kong, on a trip from London before a trip to Taipei before a trip back home to Chocago before a trip back to second home in Santiago.

These days, here inChicago, I can easily check my computer or phone to see what time it is for my brother in Kabul, but I do still like the idea of a dual-dial watch. Think I'll pull that one from the Hong Kong night market out of the drawer and get it a new battery.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 5:14 pm

Programs: MR PremPlat, DL DM 1M, AA Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
I too have a collection of nice watches but when travelling long flights (over 8 hours), this is what a wear. It is very readilble when the cabin lights are dimmed down. Plus the multiple timezone display is also helpful.
I
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:14 pm

Well, are we using watches as jewelry, status symbol or a functional piece of equipment that we will find useful?

The truth of the matter is that an $11 Casio LCD digital watch often keeps better time than a Rolex, Baum & Mercier, Bulova, or any other analogue mechanical watch. I wear a watch sometimes just because there are times that a phone is either inconvenient or I'm prohibited from accessing a device such as a cell phone. It bothers me not that it's not a status symbol.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:33 pm

Programs: ua Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Gold, National Executive, Avis First
This thread is slightly different, so all is good, but we had a travel watch thread in case anyone wants to review the older one. That original topic was about traveling to developing cointries, so the timepiece do choice might not be the same as this discussion
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...vel-watch.html
Old Jul 20, 2013, 8:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, IC AMB, BA GOLD
If I'm feeling digital, it's a Breitling Aerospace

If analog, it's a Jaeger Reverso Duo:

Old Jul 20, 2013, 8:34 pm

Programs: Costco Club

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.