Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Watches

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2013, 8:37 pm

The Seiko Astron GPS Solar watch looks like it would be a good travel watch. It automatically connects to a GPS satellite and adjusts the watch's hands automatically to the correct local time and day.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 8:39 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
I like my Swatch. Have received a lot of compliments and surprises when I tell them it is a Swatch.

Mine is a different color (aubergine-ish with orange numbers).
Old Jul 20, 2013, 8:47 pm

Programs: SQ*G, SPG Platinum, FPC Premier
Wink

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
^

I love these DYKWIA threads.
LOL watch this:

I'm not sure why I'd wear a different luxury watch when I travel cos they're only able to tell me the time in just one other place. As a person who needs to know what time it is in at least four other cities globally, the world clock function on my iPhone and iPad works just fine.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 12:10 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by Skink
The Seiko Astron GPS Solar watch looks like it would be a good travel watch. It automatically connects to a GPS satellite and adjusts the watch's hands automatically to the correct local time and day.
The Astron is supposedly the only watch that correctly adjusts to ALL timezones in the world. I haven't seen or tried it, though.

Originally Posted by roverkt
I'm not sure why I'd wear a different luxury watch when I travel cos they're only able to tell me the time in just one other place. As a person who needs to know what time it is in at least four other cities globally, the world clock function on my iPhone and iPad works just fine.
It really depends on what you're travelling for. With the biz crowd I deal with, checking a cell phone during a meeting is pretty crass. However, it could work in other circles.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 1:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
The nice watches stay at home when I'm on the road. Too many chances to be left behind at security or attract unwanted attention. What I look for is a watch that is reliable, durable, disposable, solar powered, easy to read in a dark hotel room and has dual time displays

My mainstay is a Casio GWM850. It's gone to Asia, Africa, Europe and, of course, North America.

On my current trip however I'm test driving a Seiko SBPG003. This model isn't found in North America and I ordered mine from Japan. It meets the criteria, is better in some regards than the Casio but at $300 was more expensive than the $100 Casio. What I like most about the Seiko is the improved alarm and it's a little dressier than the Casio for client meetings.

I will also pack a second watch if situations require something more dressier. I have a Bulova GMT auto that looks nice but was well south of $1,000.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 10:15 am

Programs: SQ*G, SPG Platinum, FPC Premier
Originally Posted by Braindrain
It really depends on what you're travelling for. With the biz crowd I deal with, checking a cell phone during a meeting is pretty crass. However, it could work in other circles.
Checking your watch in the middle of a meeting might seem rude too depending on who it is. Whatever instrument one uses, it's tact and communication that will let one check the time without conveying the wrong message to the other party. Or else just don't check it during the meeting/in the meeting venue...

My point was on how even modern day watches can't tell the time in more than two cities without at least some fumbling around with buttons.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 10:28 am

Programs: Cards with lots of logos on them
When feeling fancy or when I was with a client, I would wear my Tag Grand Carrera. Generally though,especially when traveling internationally, I use a Timex Ironman. It supports dual time zones, great indiglo, puts up with a lot of abuse and worst case, if it gets lost, stolen or broken, I am not out a significant amount of money.

Plus, there is a Timex outlet down the street from where I live. So I can pick another one up for $30
Old Jul 21, 2013, 7:34 pm

Programs: E35K, Delta SM, AM ADV, Priority Club Plat, SPG Plat, MR *S, GR *E, Hyatt GP, AM
Gmt2c 116710
Old Jul 21, 2013, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Swiss Army Summit XLT. Functional and decent-lookong and not that expensive. I have a Rolex GMT I bought at a military exchange 10 yrs ago when they still sold the Rolex line, but the SA is my daily wear watch when I need to figure things out from the bezel setting, because if its stolen or I lose it - no big deal.

Last edited by AATrout; Jul 21, 2013 at 10:49 pm
Old Jul 22, 2013, 10:44 am

Programs: EY Plat, Accor Plat
Breitling Navitimer 01 Limited edition with the display back.

extremely accurate and always a pilots best friend… slide rule etc
Old Jul 22, 2013, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
Originally Posted by Filmbuff
i am a watch collector/enthusiast and even though my collection includes Rolex, JLC, Glashütte Original, etc...my preferred travel watch is a Citizen eco-drive Attesa, it looks very much like this.

it's eminently functional - dual time zone, dual alarm (alarm is very *audible*), countdown chrono, stopwatch, UTC time, comfortable (lightweight titanium), and scratch-resistant (duratec Ti + DLC bezel) and smartly stylish (for an ana-digi).

i never have to worry about having to replace a battery (it's solar powered w/6+month power reserve) and it doesn't have the potential issues that automatics might have ((insufficient winding on the wrist, mainspring issues, etc)
That's a sweet watch! Solar powered too!

Usually, majority of people nowadays wear watches as jewelry more than ever because there are other ways to get the time, with the phone being one of them.

I was curious as to what people use (if any) frequently and as expected, it's a mish-mash of various tastes and viewpoints.

The G-Shock however, I find cumbersome to get the second timezone. I like how everything is in front of you at a glance.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by flipstah
The G-Shock however, I find cumbersome to get the second timezone. I like how everything is in front of you at a glance.
The Casio G-Shock I show in post #20 has a dual display but it is not shown in the picture. Press the top button on the left and the day/date switches to the second time zone. Bottom button on the left does the same for the Seiko SBPG.

IIRC there are a couple of other Casio G-Shocks that also have a dual display.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 5:11 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Platinum
Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Big.

And now they have a GMT watch... I would have waited if I could predict future.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by flipstah
I was curious as to what people use (if any) frequently and as expected, it's a mish-mash of various tastes and viewpoints.
you ought to visit some watch forums and see the debate.

there are people that will take 3-4 watches on their travels, all sorts of spiel about 'life is too short to wear inexpensive watches when they could be wearing their prize pieces while they are making memories or experiencing a special moment'.

i enjoy a nice watch as much as the next person, but i'd rather not deal with having to worry about safeguarding any watch during my trips. interestingly enough, Europeans and Asians are much more apt to appreciate a nice timepiece...here in the US/Canada, not so much!
Old Jul 22, 2013, 7:05 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Platinum
Filmbuff, I wore my newly-acquired Omega when I went to see Skyfall... Wearing a James Bond watch did make the movie going experience more special

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.