Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Backpacks in Professional Settings - Faux Pas?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Backpacks in Professional Settings - Faux Pas?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2013, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DarkHelmetII
I see partners in my firm wear backpacks
Partners rules usually don't apply to ordinary mortals

That said, I've never seen a partner in a consulting or law firm bring a backpack to a suit/tie client meeting.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 7:25 pm

FWIW I only use brief/messenger bags even when i'm not working because the reach into the pockets is so much easier then constantly swinging your backpack around to get something.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 7:32 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum ; Hilton Gold; Hertz 5*, Delta DM. Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
While I agree that backpacks are definitely more functional, I don't think it's a good match with a suit. I use the jack spade messenger bag as well.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 8:38 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Priority Pass
I think it depends what industry, geography and what your role is.

In east Asia its unprofessional since everyone wears the dark suit uniform. Only very junior low level staff use backpacks.

I think if you have any sort of role where you have to present to clients, it looks shoddy.

I agree with pittpanther, its like wearing sneakers with your business suit.

If you work in tech on the west coast, it doesn't really matter. Law or consulting based on the east coast I don't think you should.

I think unless you are constantly traveling on public transportation by bus or subway to all of your meetings, carrying a brief on one shoulder through an airport or from a parking lot is bearable and more professional. Backpacks look like urban commuter bags.
Can you travel with your backpack and swap out to a briefcase in your car?

If you aren't a top level executive I don't think its required to have a $1000 briefcase. I think a professional looking messenger is fine in the right industries and jobs. Or you could get the same Tumi and Victorinox as everyone else on FT. In another thread someone asked about a convertible. And Tumi makes one of their briefcases with straps also, that hide on the back of the bag when you hold it like a briefcase.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 9:28 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Platinum
Ooh, Sky Train looks good! Carry it like a backpack, then just before you open the meeting room door... Take it off and carry it like a shoulder bag
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by scnzzz
Partners rules usually don't apply to ordinary mortals

That said, I've never seen a partner in a consulting or law firm bring a backpack to a suit/tie client meeting.
Many partners in my consulting firm use backpacks. They are also no more rough on the shoulders of a suit than shoulder or messenger bags. And how is a messenger bag any more "professional" than a backpack? I will concede shoulder bag or briefcase, but messenger bag?
Old Jul 9, 2013, 2:50 am

Programs: Too Many to Count
I love it. I don't think this crap really matters, caring about whether it looks professional. It's not like you're going in to meetings wearing a jock-strap. Do what's comfortable.

I work as a strat consultant...worked for, let's call it, a highly regarded shop until recently, am independent now, 30 yrs old. Always carry an REI 55 gallon pack with me. Serves a couple of purposes. Easy to carry. Also, I love camping, so sometimes it came in handy if I decide to spend the weekend at the client site or fly someplace to camp at the last second. I do this often.

Probably not as acceptable outside of N. America, but whatever. It wouldn't stop me. And no, my career has not been hurt because of it.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by hiltonlondon2009
And no, my career has not been hurt because of it.
I don't think wearing a backpack will ever hurt anyones career. I use to be in management position, if two guys come in wearing a suit and one wears a backpack and the other brings a $1000 brief, i'm gonna hire the guy that is most qualified for the job.

But as far as PROFESSIONAL FASHION, a backpack will never look as good as a shoulder bag/brief when combined with a sharply dressed suit or the like.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 7:49 am

Nice to see a backpack thread! I've had a backpack on everyday since about 1990! It sometimes still shocks me to be at airports and see almost everyone with a backpack - even those wearing suits.

I've used the Ogio Friction backpack for years - replacing it with same off white/bone color. Unfortunately its out of production and the only color left is: camouflage green.

I've been checking out everyone's backpacks at the airports in the last few months since my old Ogio is starting to show its wear. I've seen a bunch of nice looking Swiss Army (I'm not sure if they are officially Swiss Army but they have that symbol on the bag) that looks pretty similar to the Ogio.

Thanks for the links of everyone's backpacks - some great potentials.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 9:55 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by docmoney
Ooh, Sky Train looks good! Carry it like a backpack, then just before you open the meeting room door... Take it off and carry it like a shoulder bag
Skytrain is a full on piece of luggage, too large to pass as a briefcase.

I often use my Tom Bihn Tri-Star as my one bag for travel. When not overloaded it can pass as a large briefcase, and it can be worn as a backpack using the hidden backpack straps.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 10:09 am

Programs: United, American, Southwest, USAirways, Delta
Originally Posted by SuperKirby
But as far as PROFESSIONAL FASHION, a backpack will never look as good as a shoulder bag/brief when combined with a sharply dressed suit or the like.
Exactly. When meeting with a client, if you feel the need to wear a suit, tie, and shined dress shoes, then what goes along with that is a briefcase, not a backpack.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
They are also no more rough on the shoulders of a suit than shoulder or messenger bags. And how is a messenger bag any more "professional" than a backpack? I will concede shoulder bag or briefcase, but messenger bag?
agree that a messenger bag won't be any easier on the jacket shoulders than a backpack. hence why if i had to go back to wearing suits to work (my current and last employer had a business casual code), then my daily bag is/was a balistic nylon briefcase, hand-carry most of the time, on a strap when i need to have my hands-free.

most messenger bags are unstructured and [i agree with you] that i would rate a backpack as a better choice over a messenger in those cases.
as for the thread topic, no one is saying that anyone who elects to use a backpack for their work bag is going to be treated or respected less [as a general rule].

work dress code and bag accessories have changed a lot over the years, eg. gotten more casual, functional, and practical. where once leather valises ruled the boardroom, that is now no longer the case.

figure out what works for you...draw on cues from what your co-workers/boss/manager use to help guide you. but to get back to the OP's question, a briefcase is always going to be the safest ground when in suit & tie attire. even the most conservative client in the world isn't going to find fault with that.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 1:43 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Filmbuff
so what? it makes no difference.

the *client* can dress as he pleases, he's the customer & you are the 'paid' help. it would be unwise to pattern your attire on the basis of the dress code of the client.
and as the help, you are 'paid' to provide counsel / technical / business expertise or support, not to look good.

(ignore that statement if anyone posting in this thread is a professional [i.e. paid for] model.)

my jackets and sportcoats are lightly to non-padded in the shoulder but that's another discussion entirely...
Old Jul 9, 2013, 1:54 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by SuperKirby
the qualities of dress that qualifies as "sharp" to many people, is very much rubbish to some people.

in matters like these -- dressing, appearance -- its usual the case of outblown external significance, that the individual scrutinizes over.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by deniah
and as the help, you are 'paid' to provide counsel / technical / business expertise or support, not to look good.
looking good is not the debate here...looking *professional* is.

i can choose to visit my banker wearing a t-shirt, shorts and sandals [if i cared to]. i'd raise an eyebrow if my banker was dressed in similar fashion. [if he offered stellar investment advice, i probably wouln't care what he was wearing TBH but that's not how most dress codes in the workplace works in most cases.]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.