Wiki Posts
Search

Briggs & Riley TORQ

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2013, 9:13 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ScottC
I hate product reviewers who don't use their own photos. What purpose does a review have when all you use is a stock photo? When they don't take the time to make a couple of photos, I often suspect that they didn't actually review the product.
I have the bag and when the reviewer used the word cavernous to describe it, I have to agree with you.

I also agree with silver-tis, a pair of pj's and an amenity kit would take up half of the room in this bag.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I only got a med and large for checking in purposes.

I have seen the carryon/cabin in the store and my impression was that it was not that big.

I have other B&R and eBags carry on which will carry more due to soft sides. If I need a hardshell carry on for photo gear the Pelican 1514 comes out.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:25 am

Did you guys have any experience with this luggage having a easily broken lock? I bought this thing 2 months ago, took it on my first trip overseas and the lock broke on my first interconnecting flight from LAX to SFO. After getting to SFO, the lock stop working (any combo would open it).

I took it to a local repair facility in the area and it's taking almost 1 month and still haven't gotten the luggage back yet. B&R says the item was out of stock. I sent B&R an email and they apologize but I feel it's quite strange to be running low on the TSA locks, maybe it's a common issue to have a crappy lock?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, IHG RA, Hyatt Diamond, Amex Plat, SPG Gold
The lock hasn't broken but I've found that the 'convenient' front storage is a waste of space. If the inside of the suitcase if somewhat full, you won't be able to fit your iPad or anything thicker than paper in that compartment.

I picked up the Tumi recently and the ability to expand is worth much more than aesthetics.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by silver-tls
The lock hasn't broken but I've found that the 'convenient' front storage is a waste of space. If the inside of the suitcase if somewhat full, you won't be able to fit your iPad or anything thicker than paper in that compartment.

I picked up the Tumi recently and the ability to expand is worth much more than aesthetics.
I guess I got really unlucky about it and had mine break on the first trip!
Old Nov 11, 2014, 1:17 pm

Such an awesome carry on, there's a pretty good review with videos and stuff here
Old Jan 5, 2015, 8:41 am

I purchased the large spinner (QU129SP) and had a problem with the TSA lock right off the bat. I took it back to the store and they exchanged it for me. With the replacement, there have been no problems thus far. I took it on a road trip and got to know it a bit. So far, so good.

I will be taking it out on a business trip to Chicago pretty soon so we will see if there is anything to report once I am back home. ^

I hope it was worth the coin!
Old Jan 6, 2015, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
I'd avoid it like the plague. I have 3 co-workers that have all had issues with this bag. Including a new colleague that had her bag break twice. Both times they made her send it into Briggs on her dime. She spent more money on the shipping and the box to ship it in than she did on the bag. (Not cheap to ship it from Milan where it broke on it's first trip, before we got out of the airport). Two others had issues with the lock mechanism, one of them couldn't get it opened while on a trip, the other couldn't get the zipper pull hole into the lock anymore.

I'd run, and run far from this bag.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:30 pm

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
Has anyone had a torq bag crack? I'm curious because many of the rimowa polycarb bags have had this issue. Thanks!
Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by TPACjv
Has anyone had a torq bag crack? I'm curious because many of the rimowa polycarb bags have had this issue. Thanks!
I had one corner of my medium Torq crack. One corner got caved in and then after a couple of months it started cracking around the perimeter of the area that had been damaged. I sent it to Briggs and Riley for repair and they sent me a brand new suitcase as a replacement. There weren't any other cracks on the first one and I haven't had any issues with the second. Between the two they've probably flown 40 something segments as checked luggage.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by driggity
I had one corner of my medium Torq crack. One corner got caved in and then after a couple of months it started cracking around the perimeter of the area that had been damaged. I sent it to Briggs and Riley for repair and they sent me a brand new suitcase as a replacement. There weren't any other cracks on the first one and I haven't had any issues with the second. Between the two they've probably flown 40 something segments as checked luggage.
Thanks for sharing your experience! I was curious about it because it's been pretty easy to find durability information about other brands, like rimowa but finding good data on B&R has been a challenge.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 12:38 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
I also had the lock on my medium torq break very quickly, I believe after my first international trip with it. The zippers wouldn't stay locked in the holders. I don't bother with the combination lock though, too big of a pain and an invite for TSA to crack the thing open. I took it to a B&R repair shop in Aurora, CO and it took them over 6 weeks to get it fixed, mostly their fault for screwing up the part order, then another couple weeks to get the part.

Other than that and it looking pretty beat up after a dozen or so trips it's been a good bag.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 3:14 am

Does anyone know why B&R is discontinuing the large and medium torq spinners? Mabybe I am misunderstanding but that's what their current sale promotion seems to indicate - http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...spx?sec=outlet
Old Jan 12, 2015, 8:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
Does anyone know why B&R is discontinuing the large and medium torq spinners? Mabybe I am misunderstanding but that's what their current sale promotion seems to indicate - http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...spx?sec=outlet
Probably because all of the issues, and warranty claims.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:01 am

They are making changes to some of the pieces so it is "out with the old" and all that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.