Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Scottevest product quality problem

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
I got a Scott vest last month.

I too have experienced problems with the zippers - in my case, a few of the zippers get fabric caught in them when trying to zip/unzip, which can lead to rips in the garment or broken zippers. This is frustrating, but not a deal killer for me; otherwise I like the vest, and it has so many pockets that I've lost thing in them, not sure where I put them. But to me that's a feature.

I have read in multiple places that customer service at Scott is terrible, and that's unfortunate.

I also got a shirt from Scott last month, and with the shirt, there are two elastic loop thingies in the neck. When the shirt arrived, one of the loops was only sewn in on one side; the other side was loose, so there was a 1" elastic "thread" hanging from the neck. I pulled out the other end, which was easy to do, because the 1" section of the shirt where the collar attaches to the body was never sewn on correctly to begin with.

So that's been my experience.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a Scottevest hoodie, and I am not really that happy with it. The color seems to fade irregularly, which is odd for a grey hoodie, and the key chain holder in the right pocket broke off within the first week. I still use it for travel, but it is not what I was hoping for.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 7:40 am

Some alternatives to Scottevest I have found

I have been looking for a vest big enough to carry my 17" laptop through the airport.

I have been doing some research and the alternatives to Scottevest seem to include the following.

If anybody has any comments about the following sellers or knows of any seller not on the following list , please let me know. Thanks a million.

AyeGear (from Scotland)
http://www.ayegear.com/pages/faq#faq-h1
--- Scottevest is suing them for copyright infringement.
But they seem to have the biggest range of products compared to other Scottevest competitors.

Bagket
http://www.bagket.com/getintouch.aspx
http://www.bagket.com/video03.aspx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owS1cIdDXZI

Jaktogo
www.jaktogo.com
--- Has an ugly logo on the outside.
Looks pregnant front and back if too much stuff. Not as good looking as Bagket.
Definitely designed for cheapskates who want to advertise themselves as such ; for utility rather than style.

Stuffa Jacket
www.stuffa.co.uk
http://stuffajacket.blogspot.com.au/
https://www.youtube.com/user/StuffaJacket?feature=watch

Rufus Roo Big Pocket Travel Jacket
www.rufusroo.com
--- The cheapest of all of them I have found so far.
--- They don't answer email or any question I have about their product. Period.
Big warning sign. So don't bother buying from them.

................Haven't done much research about the following products:

Ainsley Bodywarmer

TravelSmith, 800-770-3387, www.travelsmith.com. Lots of options; similar to Magellan's. The women's nylon-poly Voyager Vest has 11 pockets; men's version has 14 (both $69). Men's sueded poly-nylon Traveler Jacket has 10 pockets ($119-$129).

L.L. Bean, 800-441-5713, www.llbean.com. The tropic-weight Outdoor Travel Vest

Magellan's, 800-962-4943, www.magellans.com. The Ultimate Travel Vest for women ($79.50, currently on sale for $54.99) has 16 pockets and a long, boxy look. The regular Travel Vest, with eight pockets, is cuter ($52). Another option: the Adventure & Travel Convertible Jacket/Vest, with eight pockets and removable sleeves ($110 for women, $115 for men). Magellan's also sells Scottevest products (see below).

The Ultimate Travel Jacket
http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=1p4y
--- "Orvis, 888-235-9763, www.orvis.com. Also pricey, but good stuff. The men's cotton-nylon Ultimate Travel Jacket has 26 pockets, removable sleeves and hood ($325). The women's poly-cotton-nylon Reversible Travel vest, with eight pockets, is particularly attractive ($79, currently on sale for $65)."

{$60}
MENS DESIGNER BIG KING SIZE DUKE MICRO CHECK MULTI POCKET JACKET JACK 1XL - 6XL
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MENS-DESIG...-/121093028804

Cabelas Safari Vest
--- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/archive/t-1282914.html

Silvermans multi-pocket lightweight ubd jacket with removeable sleeves
--- Based on the US army BDU jacket
Old Aug 25, 2013, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW; here is the lawsuit: http://www.scribd.com/doc/80824785/S...yegear-Glasgow

Regardless of what you think about Scottevest, to me it is pretty clear that their patents have been violated and Ayegear simply ripped them off.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 7:16 pm

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
Originally Posted by stairclimber
I have been looking for a vest big enough to carry my 17" laptop through the airport.

I have been doing some research and the alternatives to Scottevest seem to include the following.
You forgot Tilley, one of the better options, IMHO. They have several good travel vests with good quality zippers etc.

http://www.tilley.com/Men-Jackets-Vests.aspx

I don't know if any of their vests will hold a 17" laptop but it's worth investigating.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:37 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, US Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I just wish ScottEVest had better high quality, stylish options. I've been a *long* time customer (since 2004), and wish they created more special edition, leather jackets.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RevJim
You forgot Tilley, one of the better options, IMHO. They have several good travel vests with good quality zippers etc.

http://www.tilley.com/Men-Jackets-Vests.aspx

I don't know if any of their vests will hold a 17" laptop but it's worth investigating.
That *LOOKS* much more pockety than Scottvest. I like how Scottvest doesn't look so pockety.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 1:53 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Welcome to FT, stairclimber ^

I have tried two ayegear products, and returned them. The coat and the gilet. The zips were the problem. Cheap plastic jobs that stuck all the time. Unfortunately they would stick at awkward times - trying to get passport out of pocket etc!

Returns were promptly dealt with, and staff excellent to deal with.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 6:13 pm

Complaint ltr to the President of Scottevest

Originally Posted by TravelinWilly
I got a Scott vest last month.

I too have experienced problems with the zippers - in my case, a few of the zippers get fabric caught in them when trying to zip/unzip, which can lead to rips in the garment or broken zippers. This is frustrating, but not a deal killer for me; otherwise I like the vest, and it has so many pockets that I've lost thing in them, not sure where I put them. But to me that's a feature.

I have read in multiple places that customer service at Scott is terrible, and that's unfortunate.

I also got a shirt from Scott last month, and with the shirt, there are two elastic loop thingies in the neck. When the shirt arrived, one of the loops was only sewn in on one side; the other side was loose, so there was a 1" elastic "thread" hanging from the neck. I pulled out the other end, which was easy to do, because the 1" section of the shirt where the collar attaches to the body was never sewn on correctly to begin with.

So that's been my experience.
Like you, I've been having problems with the The right hand zipper for the removeable arm will not stay secured - due , I think, to the detachment of the metal piece at one end of the zipper. When I attach the arm to the body of the vest, it opens up at the start of the zippered join and will not stay together.

I should point out that this malfunction is not from my misuse , but seems to be a design problem. At present, the jacket is unusable with the sleeves installed.

I had several unsatisfactory emails with Piper in CSR

Then I contacted the president, Scott - of course I didn't get the courtesy of any reply, This is the ltr I sent :

Scott, President
Scottevest

Looks like you are not going to respond to my request
- so disappointed that you don't stand behind your product !,

Zipper problems are definitely your responsibility as described in FlyerTalk
Forums
- but your company doesn't seem to care, judging by the 2 pages of complaints in the forum.

I shall be joining the posters advising prospective purchasers to stay
away from Scottevest products !

With regret - a very let down customer.

SO BE WARNED GUYS, DON'T BUY SCOTTEVEST JACKETS . THEY DO NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR DEFECTIVE PRODUCTS.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 8:29 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
I love their designs, I have a couple of jackets, a fleece, and some miscellaneous other things from them. They all started showing signs of wear a lot sooner than I thought they should and look pretty ratty now. I've also found the zippers to be a problem and I've had a couple of them fail completely. I won't be buying any more.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 6:35 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
Thanks, everyone. Had thought these might make great Christmas presents for about a dozen friends and family but not after reading the reports here - cannot stomach companies that don't back their products.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2.3 MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold, recovering UA Premier
I was in the market for a vest, and I went and looked at the SeV travel vest. In the store, I had trouble with the zippers binding and getting stuck. I figured that was a bad omen if the zippers didn't even work that well in the store. I loved the flexibility of the pocket system, but you need to make sure all the pockets are accessible!

I have one additional alternative to throw in: the ExOfficio FlyQ vest. I checked it out on a recent trip through the Seattle airport (seriously, how cool is it to have a travel clothing store in the airport?), but they didn't have my size in stock.

By looking at something that was one size too small, I was able to get a pretty good feel for it. First off, it uses a chain zipper instead of a coil zipper down the front, which should be much more durable. The coil zippers on pockets are by YKK, and thus should be vastly superior in quality to the non-branded SeV zippers. (YKK is basically The Zipper Company, and has built their reputation on making zippers that just work. Interesting bit of trivia I picked up on a trip to Japan once.)

Anyway, back to the ExOff vest. I liked that it had a fleece-lined pocket for my sunglasses. The phone pocket would hold my iPod touch but not my Samsung Galaxy S4. Pockets are not as numerous as the SeV, but they have decent zippers. The headphone channel is exclusive to SeV, but I've started using an LG Bluetooth headset and don't need the help routing it.

I've owned several ExOff products over the years, and have always been impressed with their quality and durability. What I liked about the FlyQ is that it seemed like it was like the SeV, but designed by people who knew what it would take to make the product stand up to repeated wear.

Product page here:
http://www.exofficio.com/products/de...mens-flyq-vest

My experience at the Seattle airport store is that they seem to be phasing out the last season's clothing. They had only a limited size selection. I found the size I needed on-line, but it looks like the vest is going out of stock. When I asked store staff, he said that it was one of the most popular items in the store and hard to keep in stock. I think it's relatively lightweight and therefore not sold during the winter, but I'm not sure.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 5:11 pm

I have about a dozen pieces of clothing from sv and for the most part I'm happy with them.

Stuck zipper which was repaired by local seamstress and paid for by sv.

Loose threads on a pocket which I sewed myself using my old Navy sewing kit!

I got the heavy winter jacket with all the pockets and use it during the winter, it is really very water proof and warm in heavy rain storms and dries off pretty fast so it's not real wet when you board the plane.

Just bought a few pair of shorts with the pockets on sale with 40% off and really like them, I will buy some more when they go on sale again.

I think their quality is hit and miss, so you could get a bad sample!
Old Nov 16, 2013, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by golasalle
Glad that I never picked up anything from them, given the product quality issues I keep reading here on FT. Has anyone found an alternative product from a better manufacturer?
there is this from zipit gear
http://www.zipitgear.com/travel-vest/

just ordered one and I will let you know how it works out
Old Dec 6, 2013, 10:34 am

my experience has been good

Originally Posted by wagwag22

SO BE WARNED GUYS, DON'T BUY SCOTTEVEST JACKETS . THEY DO NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR DEFECTIVE PRODUCTS.
This has not been my experience, I have bought about 10 items from Scottevest (one standard Jacket, three hidden cargo pants, one button down shirt, 4 performance T shirts and one Q zip. I had a problem with a zip on one of them ( one of the performance T shirts) and they replaced the item without hesitation within a week - and that was sending it to Australia.

I have been very impressed with the products overall and cannot fault the service I have received. Personally I intend to keep buying their products

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.