Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

One bag carryon Travel Ninja tips (1 week business travel): Your time to brag (RULES)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One bag carryon Travel Ninja tips (1 week business travel): Your time to brag (RULES)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2016, 6:12 pm

Since this is one of my favorite flyertalk threads, I'll resurrect it by pitching for two new favorites.

- Bluffworks Original travel pants, which I can now wear because they're available in Relaxed Fit. I'll note that they are running a Kickstarter for their new blazer. I haven't bought in because I really like ...

- Eddie Bauer's Voyager II travel blazer. I know it's not dressy enough for most, but I'm a professor and it works plenty well for conferences, field work, etc.

For my last long-haul trip, I considered buying a Red Oxx, but ended up using my kid's Rick Steves Convertible Carry-On backpack, which I like a lot. It's more useful than my Tom Bihn Western Flyer for trips longer than a few days.

I'm in the market for a good travel shaving brush. I'm not a big fan of badger for different reasons, so I use a Parker Safety Razor Synthetic Bristle Shaving Brush, which I like just fine. Any suggestions?
Old Sep 24, 2016, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, TK Black, AA dirt
If you are using a synthetic brush, you are good to go. I've gone crazy about wet shaving, and being a one bag ninja, I had to be very careful with my choices - a synthetic brush is great, because it dries quickly.

I also got a Parker travel razor set - it is very neat, coming apart into 3 pieces - also looks very classy
Old Sep 25, 2016, 2:21 am

Programs: AY+
Originally Posted by DrSavant
I also got a Parker travel razor set - it is very neat, coming apart into 3 pieces - also looks very classy
How do you deal with DE blade?
Try your luck? Or buy new on destination?
Old Sep 25, 2016, 3:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, TK Black, AA dirt
Originally Posted by sama
How do you deal with DE blade?
Try your luck? Or buy new on destination?
I buy new at destination - so far had my local contacts pick a pack up for me, with exotic destinations such as Nigeria and Myanmar, since I've started doing this The blades I got in Myanmar were made in India, and were surprisingly good - as good, if not better than my Astra Platinums at home.

There is no point in trying your luck - sure, there are many ways to smuggle blades, but if somebody wanted to make a point, a razor blade is a prohibited item, in most airports, and so why bother getting accused of trying to bring a prohibited item on board?

I just had security screeners rummage through my entire bag in PVG, last week, looking for a blade - they saw I had the razor, and didn't want to believe (I guess) I don't have a razor in my bag.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DrSavant
If you are using a synthetic brush, you are good to go. I've gone crazy about wet shaving, and being a one bag ninja, I had to be very careful with my choices - a synthetic brush is great, because it dries quickly.

Right on. synthetic is the way to go for quick use and dry. And its hard to beat this Muhle brush when it comes to quality and compactness - its my go to for over a year now.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA, HA
Great thread; thanks arjunrc

- Bag: Arcteryx Sebring 25, or Goruck GR1

- Socks x4* (wearing one, obviously...gross airport floors)
- Underwear x4*
- Pants x2-3*, +/- shorts/trunks
- Shirts x4*
- Jacket, +/- pullover *(may wear or carry or stuff, depending on weather and bulk)
- Shoes* x1-2

- Eagle Creek Quarter Cube to hold most of following
- watch (Garmin 235 with analog dial-face)
- phone, wallet, cards/etc
- passport
- cords x3 (USB-lightning, USB-microUSB, Garmin proprietary cable) + AC-USB plug
- Mogics' Power Donut (black) with plug adaptor (this is a circular 5-plug + 2 USB powerstrip with built in, retractable/windable 3' extension cord)
- Bose in-ear noise cnx earbuds in their neoprene case
- Tablet (iPad) +/- eReader (Kindle Voyager) +/- book
- 3.5 x 5" pocket notebook (Analog, Moleskine kraft, Field Notes, etc) + 2 pens
- microfiber cloth
- sunglasses + hard case
- +/- laptop + charger/cable (13" MBP)
- Baggu packable tote

- Dopp kit: Eagle Creek Quarter Cube
- Deod/Antip. (+/- travel size)
- travelsized toothbrush + paste + floss
- razor + cream
- pomade
- nail clippers
- safety pins x2

Last edited by TheTakeOffRush; Oct 30, 2016 at 3:54 pm Reason: gracias
Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:17 am

Bag: B&R Baseline International or Red Oxx Skytrain( if CRJs- I think gate check is even worse than general luggage check in most situations)

Items: Tom Bihn Daylight briefcase; empty and packed, laptop only if needed, power and charging cords, receipt pouch, lens cloth, Bose in ear buds, mini CPAP equipment, casual shirt (1-3 that are hotel sink washable and dry overnight), casual pants?, dress shirt(s) folded, dress belt (in collar of dress shirt), dress shoes containing Ex Officio underwear and socks, running gear, toiletries and meds (use Naglene .5 ounce bottles, take extra 2 days of meds), sport coat or suit jacket; learn how to fold and don't wear on plane (why torture yourself) and I take suiter out of luggage to maximize room, roll all other clothes, notebook and 2 pens, mints, rain jacket or small umbrella. when wearing sportcoat I typically wear BluffWorks pants for my pants- they travel well and look good in all situations. When wearing a suit the jacket has to also substitute as a sport coat so I can mix and match. Most of my business meetings these days do not need a suit or tie, just sportcoat and dress shirt.

The real key is to not take too much and to be comfortable with doing laundry as you go. I never take more than 5 outfits and that would be for a very long trip. Also, I never have a problem with wrinkles by rolling carefully and choosing materials that travel well.

My Ninja tip is a small Norwex (or similar brand) microfiber cloth. It can clean nearly everything- including salt on your dress shoes and takes up no room.

PS: Ninja tip #2 keep a packing list under the Notes app on your iphone (or similar app) that you can constantly refine as our travel needs always change with life and we learn as we go.

Last edited by 1holegrouper; Jan 11, 2017 at 8:23 am
Old Jan 31, 2017, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA, UAL, JetBlue
This topic is terrific! So many great ideas posted by many travelers.

I don't think I could ever get away with just 1 bag for a full week. Also, when I travel I need to bring 2 laptops with me, especially when my destination won't have an available laptop for me to use. That's because of my work, and I can't afford to be without a configured laptop. That poses a bit of a challenge, but I've gotten it to work.

I have a few tips to add... not a full breakdown of how I travel (yet).

My main bag is a 21.5" roller that is expandable (but if it expands, it must be checked). When taking my spare laptop, it may push the limits on fitting in the bag size testing slot or even fitting in the overhead bin if it's a smaller aircraft. My "ninja" solution is to take my laptop out and tuck is in my jacket, under my arm. I'll then put it back in once I've gotten past the pre-TSA screener. Also, I bring ONE charger with me, because it is compatible with both laptops.

For my personal item bag, I use a Victorinox 20" expandable weekender bag. It's completely soft, with no internal rigid structures, so it's very pliable. It has a panel that allows a roller handle to slide through. As such I can not only use it for my 2nd laptop, but it can accommodate some clothes and other personal items, including toiletries. At times it can have a problem with fitting underneath the seat in front of me, depending upon how much I've packed in it. In that case, I need to take out the laptop. For my "ninja" solution, I keep it in a matte black cloth sleeve. I can then tuck it behind my legs standing up, and the flight attendants never see it (it also helps to take a window seat).

"Ninja" tip: I bought a mini folding tote bag from Muji. It folds up & secures to about the size of a pack of cigarettes, yet when expanded it'll hold as much as a plastic grocery bag and more (because it's so tough). This can be useful for miscellaneous little things to carry like a lunch.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
I have struggled with carry on only travel but I now have it down pat. Two laptops? What about a laptop and a 19.5" monitor? It's entirely possible I could go single bag only, check this album http://imgur.com/a/f22CW but I also got a Red Oxx CPA https://goo.gl/photos/WU5ecVSmpKUvCKbXA with two D rings so it switches between personal item and daypack with the help of Think Tank Backpack Conversion Strap. I have tested the CPA and it swallows my NeckPillow by Tempur-Pedic Travel without needing to roll it up. It's just 4 inches thick so fitting it in your personal item is workable. I throw my liquid bag in there as well and that's it for the personal item. The Sky Train contains all the clothes and electronics.

Actually, my regular 20" x 12" neckpillow fits inside the CPA but I think I would have some troubles selling it as a personal item then. LOL. The bag is 17" no doubt but there's nothing stopping you from overpacking it.

Last edited by chx1975; Feb 1, 2017 at 5:20 pm
Old Feb 2, 2017, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

This thread is like the phoenix. It has arisen again.

For folks who don't need to create 'complex' content whilst on travel, that is, mostly:
1. read emails
2. present power points and lightly edit
3. Make copious notes (conferences/customer meetings)

Have any of you adopted the iPad pro + apple pencil combination (Or Surface Pro) instead of taking along computers? Do laptops feature in your bag anymore?
Old Feb 3, 2017, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by arjunrc

For folks who don't need to create 'complex' content whilst on travel, that is, mostly:
1. read emails

Have any of you adopted the iPad pro + apple pencil combination (Or Surface Pro) instead of taking along computers? Do laptops feature in your bag anymore?
Yes, Lenovo Miix700 plus pencil, office suite. Great resolution screen, ditch the KB if not needed, 7 hours of battery life.
Best of all, 1 kg less weight on the shoulder.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 3:13 pm

1. read emails

I don't want to get too off topic from "one bag", but someone close to me uses a surface/type cover combo. It looks really nice and compact. I'd switch to it if I wasn't stuck on MacOS for development. Even worse, the only option for 15" is the pro. I would love a 15" retina macbook or air. Can't have everything though
Old Feb 4, 2017, 4:16 pm

1. read emails

I use the 12" MacBook and iPad Air combination while traveling.

These 2 devices combined weigh less than a MacBook Pro, have a combined 16 hours of battery life, and allow me to use the best device for movies and TV shows on the flight (iPad) and the best device for business executive use (MacBook). When at my destination, the iPad stays in the hotel room and the MacBook is so light I barely even know it's in my backpack, no charger or cable necessary with its all-day battery life. People boast about their 2-in-1 convertibles or their iPad Pro's as a single device solution, but I believe this is the far better approach with no compromises.

Highly recommended.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Star Alliance Gold
I have been doing 1-2 week business and leisure travel with one bag for the past couple of years. worked well and I never felt I needed more. Here is my list with practically all the items I carry.

Bag: Travelpro 20 inch 4 wheels or amazon basics Travel backpack (both work well, if I have only one or two pairs of shoes and in warm weather, then backpack)
Laptop: Surface (bought the surface one many years ago and found it works best for me, now on a newer model, and no pads / e-readers)
Phone and charger, small 22000 AH powerpack (no separate camera)
Small 3+1+1 plastic bag with toothbrush, paste, shaving razer, small bottle of Dr Bronner's soap). Anything else needed was always provided by hotels.

Clothes:
3 white dress shirts (Ministry of Supply aero)
1 Dark shirt (Ministry of supply Apollo, use during travel)
2 T shirts (Ministry of Supply Apollo)
2 Light pants (Uniqlo)
1 Light wool grey pant
1 Levis 511 (Lightweight with stretch)
1 light unlined sports jacket
1 blazer (Currently Calvin Klein technical blazer) or a suite.
3 silk ties

4 underwear (Montbell wool / Uniqlo airsim
2 Uniqlo airsim T/vest for sleeping or as undershirt in cold weather
4 Merino wool socks

Shoes
3 pairs (Two in the bag, Usually 1 Allen Edmonds with All-weather soles and one Merrell goretex hiking shoe)

winter / rain gear
1 Montbell plasma 1000 down jacket (ultralight and warm)
1 Rain jacket (mountain hardwear, ultralight model)
1 Montbell goretx Rain pant (packs like 2 cigarette cases)
1 Montbell ultralight trekking umbrella

and a foldable backpack or shoulder bag, for day use, from Montbell.

This has been enough for combined work and leisure trips with business meetings and hiking up mountains covered. Requires washing shirts, socks etc in hotel sinks every 3 days or so, but everything dries overnight, or faster. All this fits in one carryon bag. If I buy something overseas, usually there is space to fit small items. Laptop and some other stuff can go in foldable bag/backpack, on return trips if needed.
abaheti, Katja and Divegeek like this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 2:53 am

Late convert to one-bagging

Firstly I must confess my luggage fetish....I just discovered this thread rather too late I am a frequent business traveller and have become a dedicated OneBag officianado My bag of choice is a Red Oxx Air Boss in black. I love the indestructible build and take no prisoners approach to design The one thing I find frustrating is the lack of organisation To remedy this I have added a Tom BIHN Freundian Slip. With this in the centre section I can easily accommodate a MacBook Air 13 inch )2019), iPad Air, Kindle, Air Pods, chargers, adapters, pens, & keys.
In the two side pockets I use two Eagle Creek Pack It 18 inch garment folders containing 7 Egon shirts, two pairs of tailored trousers. In two Eagle Creek half cubes I pack underwear, workout gear. In the centre section I carry a pair of Gucci suede drivers and a pair of Nike Free Run 2018.
This collection is ideal for a weeks travel for both business and casual evenings. It all fits in the Air Boss which I can carry easily, especially when paired with the Long Hauler padded shoulder strap
Do I qualify as a Ninja?
kaliimc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.