Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

One bag carryon Travel Ninja tips (1 week business travel): Your time to brag (RULES)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One bag carryon Travel Ninja tips (1 week business travel): Your time to brag (RULES)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
Bag of choice:

Custom backpack made in Etsy https://www.etsy.com/transaction/97038895

It's the best bag for me because I set it up based on my specifications:

- Drawstring top with minimum zippers so it'll last longer than me (just one)
- Has a side handle just in case I feel lazy and want to carry it with my hand. Also makes stuffing into the plane compartment way easier with a handle on the side.
- Dimensions are the max size of a TSA carry-on -2 inches
- Padded slings and waist strap for balanced weight distribution

Whenever I travel, I roll my clothes into tubes so it has structure and doesn't eat as much room. I also learned a trick of folding my suit so it'll fit in my backpack without wrinkles!

I also use Dri-Fit so I can fit 10-14 days in my bag, easily. I also check the weather beforehand and plan around it. If I have to, I'll buy an umbrella or whatever wherever I am and leave it there.

Toiletries are minimum to the toothbrush, toothpaste, contact lens stuff, Aspirin, Imodium, Gravol.

I pack a day or two before with a list of things I packed so I stay on top of things.

As for gizmo's, just my cellphone and my headpones. Call it a day.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 9:59 pm

Minaal. Enough said.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 3:09 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
3 weeks with a B&R backpack (KP375C).
Old Jan 1, 2015, 10:37 am

flipstah please don't say "I also learned a trick of folding my suit so it'll fit in my backpack without wrinkles!" without telling us how!

I showed my husband how to pack a suit, unwrinkled, into a small rolling carry on....but into a backpack?!! You are a master! Please share!
Old Jan 1, 2015, 3:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
Originally Posted by ALittleSurreal
flipstah please don't say "I also learned a trick of folding my suit so it'll fit in my backpack without wrinkles!" without telling us how!

I showed my husband how to pack a suit, unwrinkled, into a small rolling carry on....but into a backpack?!! You are a master! Please share!
To be fair, my backpack isn't a normal backpack. It's a backpack with carry-on dimensions and has a sack opening at the top.

I struggled a bit but I slipped it in, packed it tight to minimize movement and it survived!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VDGWW7_O2sI

That's the video that taught me how. Genius!
Old Jan 6, 2015, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA CK, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
When I read this awesome thread I kept thinking of the phrase: "One Bragging"

So I'm wondering if I can be awarded honorary ninja status.

My requirements are one bag, 3-4 day trips, with workout clothes and casual clothes, a rollaboard bag (to save my back) and all this fitting in a CRJ-200/ERJ-140 cesspit. I can't stand gate checking.

If I dropped out the workout clothes, I could probably do a week, but I mostly travel Mon/Tues-Thurs for business.

Bag:

- Tumi Arrive LaGuardia 16.5x17.5x8. Whilst it doesn't technically meet sizing requirements, that doesn't seem to cause a problem, and it's big enough for all my needs whilst looking businessy.

Clothing:
- 2-3x Dress Shirt < In packing folder
- 1x Jeans < In packing folder
- 2x T-Shirt < In packing folder
- 1x Spare Pair of Dress Shoes
- 2-3x Lightweight Underwear
- 2-3x Lightweight Socks

Workout Clothing:
- North Face Kilowatt Shorts
- Nike Pro T-shirt
- Running Socks
- adidas adizero adios boost 2.0 shoe

Tech:
- MacBook Pro 15" with power brick
- iPad Mini
- mophie juice pack mini w/6" micro-USB and Lightning cables
- Bose QuietComfort 25 Headphones
- Apple Headphones

3-1-1 bag with various 1oz containers

I weighed it last night on the scales at 23lb. I'm pretty happy with this configuration - there's really nothing that I feel I'm compromising.

That said, there were definitely a few things that made me think in this thread. It's a gold mine of great advice.

John
Old Jan 6, 2015, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jmappleby
John, thank you for the contribution.
Hmmm, honorary status is only given to people who have proven their spirit to one bag. You're lucky this is 2015. I ran out of slots in 2014, so many honorable applicants and so few slots...

There are a few things working in your favor:
a) You wear a workout short thats called kilowatt
b) You are an apple fan
c) I loved "One Bragging". As the wise Internet once said, "if you achieve something, its hard to shut up about it"

But I must ask, "why seek ye honorary status and not seek ye to be an actual one bagger"?

Last edited by arjunrc; Jan 7, 2015 at 6:37 pm
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:06 pm

Programs: United, Delta, Emirates, SPG
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
OK, I'm hesitant to reveal this because you might think I'm nuts: I shave in the shower without any shaving creme or oils. I've done this every day for five years and nicked myself once, years ago.

I've found that after I've washed my hair and my face (about two minutes), my facial hair has softened to the point I don't need a lubricant on my face. Or, perhaps more accurately, the water on my face in the shower serves as a sufficient lubricant.
I do the same and have since 1988. I started doing this in the Army. I have only had a couple nicks in that time.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:52 am

I have tried this in the past and find that you can completely do this with just water, but the shave quality, while passable for even work purposes, does not feel that smooth.

On the other hand even just using the soap or shower gel that you are showering with, as as a "shave cream", gets you a super smooth shave. I stopped buying shave gel more than a decade ago. Any soap is great and if I really have time to waste then a drop of any body oil eg almond or jojoba is even better. Not a smoother shave result, but your skin is feels less dried out when you are done shaving. The authentic olive oil soaps also get you close to that.

But these days with all the liquid restrictions, really a tiny bar of soap is more than enough.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:33 am

Programs: UA, Marriott, Amex
Originally Posted by jmappleby
When I read this awesome thread I kept thinking of the phrase: "One Bragging"

My requirements are one bag, 3-4 day trips, with workout clothes and casual clothes, a rollaboard bag (to save my back) and all this fitting in a CRJ-200/ERJ-140 cesspit. I can't stand gate checking.

If I dropped out the workout clothes, I could probably do a week, but I mostly travel Mon/Tues-Thurs for business.

Bag:

- Tumi Arrive LaGuardia 16.5x17.5x8. Whilst it doesn't technically meet sizing requirements, that doesn't seem to cause a problem, and it's big enough for all my needs whilst looking businessy.

Clothing:
- 2-3x Dress Shirt < In packing folder
- 1x Jeans < In packing folder
- 2x T-Shirt < In packing folder
- 1x Spare Pair of Dress Shoes
- 2-3x Lightweight Underwear
- 2-3x Lightweight Socks

Workout Clothing:
- North Face Kilowatt Shorts
- Nike Pro T-shirt
- Running Socks
- adidas adizero adios boost 2.0 shoe

Tech:
- MacBook Pro 15" with power brick
- iPad Mini
- mophie juice pack mini w/6" micro-USB and Lightning cables
- Bose QuietComfort 25 Headphones
- Apple Headphones

3-1-1 bag with various 1oz containers

I weighed it last night on the scales at 23lb. I'm pretty happy with this configuration - there's really nothing that I feel I'm compromising.

That said, there were definitely a few things that made me think in this thread. It's a gold mine of great advice.

John
How can you get two pairs of shoes in there? Thats where I always struggle.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:03 am

I don't want to threadjack, but I'm considering buying several pairs of Bluff Works pants. Are y'all still finding them worthwhile?
Old Feb 28, 2015, 12:22 am

Bluffs have been great for travel. I have 4 pairs and usually just take 2 on any length trip. Light to pack. Easy to wash and dry in sink if necessary. I find them very comfortable-not soft stretchy material, but very comfortable. The only thing they are not good for is cold weather. If it is below 32 F they are a bit thin. Great pants.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by arjunrc
But I must ask, "why seek ye honorary status and not seek ye to be an actual one bagger"?
Well rules are rules and yours stated that it should be for a whole week and not overnight trips :-)

I'm now a couple of months into this way of traveling and it's awesome. I walk right off the regional jets whilst everyone else is freezing on the jetway. The two front flaps mean I can pull out the laptop and 3-1-1 in in time to get through security.

So if you're offering ninja status, I'm in.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by newaarondavidson
How can you get two pairs of shoes in there? Thats where I always struggle.
Sorry - took me a while to reply to this.

The Tumi makes it possible, in conjunction with gym shoes which pack almost flat.

Here's a picture of the bag, open. See the dress shoes at either side, facing up. They are filled with underwear and gym clothes. The gym shoes are empty and in the middle, facing down and the other way around. The packing cube is above, and sits on top of all the shoes.

Here's a picture of it fitting inside a CRJ-200. It only fits the right way up, wheels down, with the laptop removed. That gives it just enough space to compress.

I'm not sure what other similar bag this would be possible with and it is worth noting that technically the Tumi doesn't meet any carry-on requirements at 17.5" x 16.5" x 8" and has also been discontinued.

That said, it looks diminutive with the handle zipped in, like a large laptop bag. As a result no-one has ever even mentioned it. I always grab a yellow gate-check tag and put it in my pocket, just in case.

It's not a solution that is for everyone, but for someone who travels 2-4 RJ flights a week, it's a nice way to save a few minutes.

Couple of other points of note:

1) Above the toes of the gym shoes, there is a little space to fit stuff once the zippers are 3/4 closed. That's quite neat to tuck in say some breakfast bars taken from a hotel, or a scarf/gloves when inside.

2) I find the Bose QC-25 a bit of a hassle for this configuration, they take up too much space and constrict the front pocket. I'm considering adding some Bose QC-20i as an alternative for short trips.

Last edited by jmappleby; Mar 1, 2015 at 3:46 pm
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:45 am

Programs: TK Elite+(*G), UA*S, IHG Plat, Avis First
I just recently starting trying the one-bag carry-on for 7 day or less business trips after I had a bag lost on a recent trip to Greece, and all I can say is the "bundle method" works wonders! Once you've got it down, it's super easy to do, and definitely saves a ton of space!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.