Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

One bag carryon Travel Ninja tips (1 week business travel): Your time to brag (RULES)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One bag carryon Travel Ninja tips (1 week business travel): Your time to brag (RULES)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2013, 1:02 pm

Couple more things....

Use FedEx/UPS to your advantage:
If you have a bunch of materials or equipment you need to bring for a meeting, or you obtained a bunch of extra stuff at your destination that you need to get home, don't lug it across the country. Instead, just stop by a local FexEx or UPS store and just ship it. I've even shipped extra clothing items to/from my destination just because I didn't want to carry it.

Clean-out/leave extra's at home or in car:
I clean receipts and stuff out of my wallet before embarking on a trip and leave extra cards out of my wallet that I know I won't need. When I park my car at the airport, I leave extra keys and stuff in the car instead of lugging them on my trip.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 1:16 pm

Best Briefcase Bag

After several bags with broken straps, I went to find the toughest bag I could.

I bought the 5.11 Tactical Briefcase. Wow, never going back to anything else.

The top is a dual-zipper with straight handle opening to a cavernous interior. I can easily pop out my laptop, pop in a jacket, it's gigantic. Two smaller outer pouches with slots for pens, key clip, the usual. Big flat back with divider (but the velcro gave out quick). Over the shoulder and fully loaded, it's comfortable. And it has the carry handle slot, of course. But that big easy-open center is unmatched by anything else.

That's all I want to add. Good ideas here otherwise.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdrevik
After several bags with broken straps, I went to find the toughest bag I could.

I bought the 5.11 Tactical Briefcase. Wow, never going back to anything else.

The top is a dual-zipper with straight handle opening to a cavernous interior. I can easily pop out my laptop, pop in a jacket, it's gigantic. Two smaller outer pouches with slots for pens, key clip, the usual. Big flat back with divider (but the velcro gave out quick). Over the shoulder and fully loaded, it's comfortable. And it has the carry handle slot, of course. But that big easy-open center is unmatched by anything else.

That's all I want to add. Good ideas here otherwise.
Sdrevik, do you use the 5.11 as your only bag when you travel? How many days worth of stuff are you able to take in it?
Old Mar 5, 2013, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bonuspay
- Technology
2 Smartphones, 1 tablet, 1 USB wall charger and cable (charges all devices), 1 spare battery for smartphones, 1-pair earbud headphones with microphone (doubles as handsfree headset), Kindle. That's it. I don't use any organizer doo-dads, I just use the organizer pockets in my luggage. Laptop stays behind now most of the time.
I assume you will be able to charge only one device at a time? Or do you use some sort of a pod with multiple simultaneous charging options?

- Make use of things already in your surroundings
Why carry a travel pillow when you can use the ones provided by the airline or you can put a few pairs of your socks rolled into a t-shirt? Why carry tissues when every restroom around you has toilet paper and paper towels? Keep the extra napkins from the lunch you just bought at the terminal food court and stuff them in your pocket for later use. Why carry soap and shampoo when the hotel provides this stuff? You can live without your specialty products for a week. Just pay for a shoe shine or shave along the way instead of carrying shoe polish and a razor. Use the free plastic laundry bags in your hotel room for your dirty clothes instead of carrying a laundry bag. Obtain disposable drinks and water bottles instead of carrying a reusable bottle. Need earplugs? Just tear off a piece of the paper tissue you saved in your pocket. Once you really start looking for it, you'll be surprised what you can find in your immediate surroundings to solve your needs instead of having to carry stuff.
Whoa! Especially the paper tissue earplug part :-)

The trick to successfully carrying out a onebag carryon ninja trip has more to do with what you don't bring than what you do bring. Then, make the few items you do bring really count.
That's Zen. Very true.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by arjunrc
I assume you will be able to charge only one device at a time? Or do you use some sort of a pod with multiple simultaneous charging options?
My USB cable has a micro-USB splitter extension cable that allows me to charge two devices simultaneously, usually my spare battery charger plus one phone or my tablet are connected at the same time. Both smartphones use the same battery. The spare battery charger is about the size of a couple credit cards stacked up--very compact. By having one battery in the external charger and rotating out batteries, my phones almost never have to be plugged in to charge--just swap and go--no downtime and phone doesn't have to be tethered to an outlet. Tablet battery isn't swapable, so it gets charged at night while I'm asleep. Even with heavy use, I've never run short on battery power for any of my devices with this approach.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vikmurthy
2) I have not owned Icebreakers. I looked at buying some of their base layers recently at a specialty outdoor clothing store, and wasn't impressed with either the feel and comfort or the price/value of what I was shown. Perhaps it was a function of a limited selection (all the best stuff appeared to have been long sold out). I gravitated to Wickers simply based on personal preference -- very lightweight, silk texture and feel without the drawback of silk care and upkeep, reasonably priced ...
Thanks Vikmurthy - I may just also get a wickers and compare.... I've just got my icebreakers.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Likely being a woman who carries a purse or a purse stand-in (Gator Bag) I likely am ruled a 2-bagger.

Great ideas on this thread. A real value! Thanks for starting it and keeping it going.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
Likely being a woman who carries a purse or a purse stand-in (Gator Bag) I likely am ruled a 2-bagger.

Great ideas on this thread. A real value! Thanks for starting it and keeping it going.

Oldpenny16, I can make an exception for a ladies purse . Admittedly the 'one bag' rules I put up were male centric. You now have a ninja guest pass Please contribute!
Old Mar 6, 2013, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

The overflow bag - Sea-to-Summit Ultra Sil is insane

I just got the Sea-to-Summit ultra sil day pack. This is an insanely useful and compact pack.

Here is how small it is:

Seems solidly built. I stuffed in a whole bunch of stuff. Obviously it has no padding.
It accommodates a lot of stuff and if you want more comfort, just put a jacket or some cloth at the end that touches your back. Will it hold being so thin? Don't know - but reviews seem very positive. The straps connectors seem very narrow - so I am going to have to go on trust for now. Time will tell.

It comes with a pouch stitched to it and the bag folds into it. The challenge always is packing it back in. I tried it - its trivially simple - you just stuff in the bag back into its pouch - took me less than 30 seconds (updated Mar 7: I timed it today - it actually took me 49 seconds, not less than 30).

The material is very thin, but based on reviews I read, its very durable (Siliconized cordura).

This blows my packable wanderlite bag away.

Here is a video someone (not me) posted on Youtube that made me buy it
^^^

Last edited by arjunrc; Mar 7, 2013 at 6:51 am
Old Mar 6, 2013, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I'm actually on a four day business trip right now with a single solitary bag.

I'm using my Tom Bihn Tri-Star in black. The bag is big enough to accomodate my clothes, macbook pro, iPad and my Camelbak All Clear bottle.

At the same time, the bag is small enough that I can walk into a client meeting and look like I have a slightly large briefcase.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt, SPG, National
I just got the Sea-to-Summit ultra sil day pack. This is an insanely useful and compact pack.

Does it have a dedicated pocket for holding a water bottle? From the videos and pictures, it looks like it doesn't. Does that detract from your overall assessment of the pack?
Old Mar 7, 2013, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vikmurthy
Does it have a dedicated pocket for holding a water bottle? From the videos and pictures, it looks like it doesn't. Does that detract from your overall assessment of the pack?
Hi Vikmurthy, no, this is a very basic bag - only one main compartment. Given that I use these packs only as overflow and not a regular shoulder bag for hiking etc, not having a water bottle is not a disadvantage for my use case. I typically stuff my small water bottle into the front pocket of the Gate8 (again, not a dedicated pouch). You should check out the sea to summit website - you may find one with a front pouch. The packable wanderlite, BTW, has a front pouch.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Nice! A onebagger in earnest :-) I've heard lots of good things about the Tom Binh.

Originally Posted by LordHamster
I'm actually on a four day business trip right now with a single solitary bag.

I'm using my Tom Bihn Tri-Star in black. The bag is big enough to accomodate my clothes, macbook pro, iPad and my Camelbak All Clear bottle.

At the same time, the bag is small enough that I can walk into a client meeting and look like I have a slightly large briefcase.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 9:33 am

Programs: Air Canada Altitude S100k / Star Alliance Gold

Here is how small it is:

Seems solidly built. I stuffed in a whole bunch of stuff. Obviously it has no padding.
It accommodates a lot of stuff and if you want more comfort, just put a jacket or some cloth at the end that touches your back. Will it hold being so thin? Don't know - but reviews seem very positive. The straps connectors seem very narrow - so I am going to have to go on trust for now. Time will tell.

It comes with a pouch stitched to it and the bag folds into it. The challenge always is packing it back in. I tried it - its trivially simple - you just stuff in the bag back into its pouch - took me less than 30 seconds (updated Mar 7: I timed it today - it actually took me 49 seconds, not less than 30).

The material is very thin, but based on reviews I read, its very durable (Siliconized cordura).

Here is a video someone (not me) posted on Youtube that made me buy it
^^^

I like that bag Arjunrc...super compact ^. I usually take a folding 'Le Sportsac' zipped travel tote that when empty folds into the matching zipped pouch that is around 5" x 4" (quite a bit bigger than your S-t-S):

http://www.lesportsac.com/store/7005_5205.html

The fabric is thick and rugged enough to allow me to check the tote it if I want to transport some heavy and unforeseen items that I bring back from a business trip.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 11:51 am

I'm on a 3 night trip right now and the following is what I do.

First, I have a packing list spreadsheet built with formulas. I just punch in the number of nights and it'll give me a general idea on what to pack (or what not to forget to pack).

I pack very little toiletry. I once cut my regular toothbrush short to fit into a ziplock. I now use a travel toothbrush.

I always roll my suit. I also pack the bare minimum and avoid things like a 2nd pair of shoes if I can.

I have 2 one bag options. For 1-3 nights, I've started using a ThinkTank Streetwalker HardDrive. It's a professional camera bag and it has padding on the side and flexible configuration inside. This helps greatly when I don't have a lot of clothes and still want to compartmentalize an area for my suit.

For 3-5 nights trip, I use a Timbuk2 Wingman. It can hold A LOT of stuff. I also use packing cubes in this case.

Accessories:

If I fly, I would bring a travel extension cord.

I use Grid-It as well.

I have a pair of travel slippers that one of my relatives got from a business class international flight. It's good as it's soft and foldable.

I just got these shoes, and so far so good. It's very light and versatile. It's much cheaper to get them from other online retailers.

I have a Timbuk2 Quickie for my laptop and iPad. I slip that into the laptop compartment of my bag and then pull it out when I go to a meeting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.