Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

still on the quest of a professional backpack

Old Feb 25, 2018, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

After your suggestions guys i ended up buying a Thule backpack, but returned it soon after since it was too tight and difficult to use efficiently.
I do not consider Samsonite nor Briggs since they are too boxy and ugly in my view.
I need a backpack where i can accommodate laptop, notes, couple of books, and maybe a pair of sneakers which do not fit in the carryon, or a present bought at the very last second. Must have: pass through sleeve for carryon handlebar. And also an exteral bottle carrier for those hours at the airport. Nice to have: nylon/ballystic cordura, that nice resilient fabric which looks very professional.

I saw the Tumi Davis https://www.wardow.com/en/tumi-alpha...232682at2.html
but too slim, no water carrier.
I saw two models which are very similar, Tumi Lejeune and Victorinox Bellevue
https://www.victorinox.com/global/en...ue-15/p/601115

https://it.tumi.com/p/tote-zaino-leleune-01035861599

but really too big, too heavy, somehow weird.
I now think i might end up buying this https://www.victorinox.com/global/en...kpack/p/602154
but not totally crazy about it.
Any idea?
Old Feb 25, 2018, 4:49 pm

Programs: KF*G, AB*G, IBP*G, LCAH*Plat, HH*D, ONYX*Plat, BW*DS
It took me a long time to find one that I am comfortable with and even went to the retail shops to try them out myself instead of just reading review reports and videos online.

I ended up with this Victorinox version: https://www.victorinox.com/global/en/Products/Travel-Gear/Backpacks--Messengers/Deluxe-Travel-Laptop-Backpack/p/602155

It is extremely comfortable, fits both my work laptop and personal MacBook and still has plenty of space for a notepad, 2 books, charger, snacks, passport and some other travel essentials.

The second compartment you can open up almost completely, somewhat opening it up like a butterfly, which then makes it even suitable as a medium-sized carry-on luggage (which I would not recommend to do since it just looks and feels very bulky and overstretching purpose of the backpack).

Of all backpacks I found this one to be most business-like in terms of looks and at the same time caters for all of my frequent travelling needs.

If you have a shop nearby, you should totally check it out. Or my recommendation is, whatever you shortlist, you should try them on, get comfortable with the compartments, etc. before buying. These things for me are keepers rather than used for occasional trips.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the reply.
Yes, that is the first solution I considered indeed. ANd had also the chance to try it. Only thing didnt like, it looks a bit long-ish.
Therefore the solution I am now considering
https://www.victorinox.com/global/en...kpack/p/602154
is very very similar, the second compartment doesnt open up that much, and seems to be larger than tall.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Have you seen the Lo & Sons Hanover or Hanover Deluxe?

I was looking at it for myself since it seems well equipped but scrapped the idea as it was too masculine for my tastes (I’m a woman).
Old Feb 25, 2018, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Unfortunately, my Tom Bihn Brain Bag does not have a pass through sleeve. But it has taken a decade of abuse like a champ. There may be another Tom Bihn model which works for you.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:48 pm

Sounds like something like this might fit your requirements (or come close):
https://www.aersf.com/flight-pack-black/
I actually just ordered one yesterday, but obviously don't have it yet.

My hands-down favorite work and travel backpack is this one:
https://www.minaal.com/collections/y...g-aoraki-black

My ONLY problem with it is that it doesn't have the luggage pass-thru. I have used it on many trips, and take it to the office almost every day.
It is surprising to me how many brands and bags don't do the luggage handle pass-thru.

Last edited by Travlur; Feb 26, 2018 at 3:55 pm
Old Feb 27, 2018, 2:33 am
Original Poster

thank Travlur,
Very cool th Aersf, but looks a bit small/tight. Dont see a pair of sneakers fitting in.
Also, not a big fan of horizontal carry, things can move around
Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: AA EXP
Tumi Luke (and newer version Tumi London)

though may be large for your needs
Old Mar 1, 2018, 1:30 pm

What are the most important features for you when you are looking for a great (travel)backpack?
Old Mar 1, 2018, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

today i saw some samsonite, what do you think? i read mixed reviews. Model: GUARDIT UP, 21.5l . much cheaper than Victorinox, not too boxy, i start to see Samsonite backpacks more and more often around
Old Mar 3, 2018, 5:56 am

Programs: LH M+M
Riut R15v3:
- mesh divider in main ( to put away the sneakers )
- 1 large or 2 small/thin laptops + pad
- 2 outside "pockets" to put in 0.5l water bottle and/or umbrella
- sleeve for handlebar
- "D-Pocket" for traveldocs/wallet
- top pocket for phone/minicam
- very sturdy, you can even wash it
- backside design to prevent theft of contents - which also makes a very clean (pro) look in my eyes
Old Mar 6, 2018, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

received today the victorinox essentials laptop backpack.
As ugly as possible. Pondering to return it or not. Didnt expect to be so boxy. Also, it is like the base is pretty large. For sure has a lot of space, zips, compartments and will do the job. But "nice" is something else
Old Mar 11, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
When my son started medical school 4 years ago I gifted him an ebags brand professional backpack. He's a minimalist and loved the backpack from day one. He especially liked the "accessories garage section," he said it was perfect for carrying his lunch. He's used it every day and it still looks like new.

You might check to see their current offerings at ebags.com
Old Mar 11, 2018, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by Dianne47
When my son started medical school 4 years ago I gifted him an ebags brand professional backpack. He's a minimalist and loved the backpack from day one. He especially liked the "accessories garage section," he said it was perfect for carrying his lunch. He's used it every day and it still looks like new.

You might check to see their current offerings at ebags.com
I've used the ebags slim professional bag previously. While I agree that it is a nice looking and functional bag, it is quite heavy for its size.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:21 pm

You’re Welcome

I have a full leather backpack in a very similar style to the Davis by Tumi. Excellent. The nylon and leather combo in current production is also very good looking. Check it out the Tumi Davis backpack from the Alpha Bravo line.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.